Grip Tip Of The Month

strongmitts

http://www.ironmind.com/griptip.shtml

Just a reminder. Does anyone notice that Brookfield does quite a bit of endurance type exercises for the hands and wrist? To tell you the truth, I tend to avoid endurance type exercises for the hand and wrist in fear that it will hurt my maximal strength. I've always done the same for powerlifting. Although, here lately I have been teaching senior adult exericse and doing cardio/endurance type training 5 times a week and my lifting has been great. I have been kinda one sided in the past in fear that cardio/endurance training would hinder my lifting/gripping sucess. Anyway, I think there is a healthy medium for both and unless I am a world class athlete trying to top a world record then I can be a pretty good all arounder. Just some thoughts.

BTW, I took my grippers to my senior adult class (over 65 yrs old) and one 72 year old male closed the trainer with minimal setting. I was impressed!

I am a big believer in mixing things up when it comes to lifting weights. Whether doing heavy sets of 5 reps and under or going for that lactic acid pump which can only be reached during endurance type work sets. I've always mixed these two styles of training and it has yet to fail me when it comes to making gains. It's always made sense to me. How else do you expect to make gains, you have to constantly SHOCK your body into making gains. What better way is there to accomplish this than mixing these two styles up? I know some stick to the traditional way of alternating exercise movements every so often but It still does not solve your dilemma. Your body is still stuck in that "HEAVY MODE" which will lead to a plateau eventually. Just my two cents.

Edited by HandsofStone

Brookfield has acheived a world class grip in just about every area. He feels that you need to train your hands in different ways to maximize you hand strength and hand health. It's unbelievable how many exercizes he has made up.

Here is one of the most impressive feats of hand strength I know of. August Johnson walking 1 mile holding a 32lb. bag of coins in one hand without adjusting his grip! :blink How many people have tried this? I've never felt a burn like the one caused by attempting this.

-HH

I agree with hands of stone. In general I do everything from singles to sets of 20 or more reps. As far as grip is concerned, I like high frequency with low reps and volume. I do high reps with my parallel handle gripper. ;)

It's pretty amazing how strong some old farmers and mechanics are even after years on inactivity...the strength built up from years of that kindof labor doesn't seem to disapate as quickly as gym work does.

Jon@han

It's pretty amazing how strong some old farmers and mechanics are even after years on inactivity...the strength built up from years of that kindof labor doesn't seem to disapate as quickly as gym work does.

Jon@han

This train of thought was what started me thinking about the "norms" of training frequency.

Me too Wannagrip. I did brutaly hard work 60 hours a week and worked out with weights at the gym. At one time I would do 4 circuits of the Nautilus machines going heavier each time just as a warmup for the weights. Overtraining is not something I am overly concerned with. I take off a week once in a while and come back renewed and stronger.

You can increase your capacity to train harder. It is not something that is fixed.

The bag was held with a straight arm to the side. Your hand would be in the same position as a vertical bar lift.

August Johnson did this when he was 64. :bow

-HH

Hammerhead

How far did you get? I know I could nt do the mile and was thinking of doing a timed hold to see how far I would get (reckoning on walking 1 mile in about 16-17mins with a bag.)

The timed hold is a good idea, but I would imagine that holding it whilst steady would be a far different proposition than walking with it. It would give a good indication, though....

Edited by The Mac

The last time I attempted anything like this I put a 20lb block weight in a dish towel and carried it until my hand was on fire. It didn't take long, mabey 100 yards. I couldn't believe how hard it was.

This is a feat that I would like to work on after I achieve some other goals.

-HH

More of a fun/endurance exercise than a strength exercise, so not up for it yet.

The timed hold is a good idea, but I would imagine that holding it whilst steady would be a far different proposition than walking with it. It would give a good indication, though....

Yes a lot harder and it would probably take a lot longer (for me) to do the mile than my 1st estimate.

Wes, I'm not sure what the guy's profession was. He is definitely the strongest guy up there though. He routinely does sets of eight on pull-ups.

I've tried the bag carry thing a few years back and it was tough. I used to fill my laundry bag with weight and walk the hallways of the dorms. Everyone thought I was nuts.