Gary Goodrich Is Coming Back

G-Man

Devon Larratt vs. an in-shape Gary Goodrich  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Best out of six against Devon, who wins?

• Devon 6-0
    • Devon 5-1
    • Devon 4-2
    • Tied 3-3
    • Gary 4-2
    • Gary 5-1
    • Gary 6-0

Wow I thought that might be who's coming back because I saw him armwrestling on a recent facebook picture + in one of the Grippler videos it said he was coming back. But that's awesome I hope Devon Larratt goes to the Mike Gould classic and get to pull each other!

http://teammaine.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=16773

Gary will be a monster if he trains hard from now until the Mike Gould Classic. Rich Lupkes came back and with 2 months of training went 1-1 with Bagent. Goodridge is training for 5+ months before going to a tournament. But I think Devon will beat him, it will be fun to see that match!

Devon Will win. :mosher Probably 6-0, unless he gets hit hard, then maybe 5-1. Even then, look at the Dave Randall match. I'm sure getting hit like that 5 times in a row, he might give one up, though.

I'm going out on a limb here.

I think Gary will win 4-2.

It seems most everyone thinks

Devon is invincible at the moment.

I like picking underdogs anyway.

It all depends on the kind of shape Gary is in. A few years ago (2002-2003?), he competed in a tournament and got like 4th or 5th place behind Earl Wilson, Mike Gould, Greg Boyes and possibly Mike Bowling. Reportedly, Gary had done no arm wrestling training at all and some people talked him into competing.

If arm wrestling paid what MMA pays, I could see Gary coming back and dominating the sport. Since it's a sport with essentially no payout, there's little incentive to train hard enough to get at the level of a Devon, John or Dave. I would therefore predict Devon 6-0.

I don't know about Gary coming and "dominating the sport". I'd say no way, actually. Sure there is footage of Gary beating Brzenk and all that, but it's been said by the ones who know that John won at least 3x the amount of times vs. Gary, than the other way around. Also, I think John was usually pulling multiple classes back then? 198 and supers, and that kind of stuff? I seem to recall Gary being like 260# ? I'd still put my money no a 198# John against Gary, provided John is 100% healthy or close to that.

I don't think Gary will have anything for Devon. I'm sure he can still beat the crap out of the mortals but IMO, guys like Brzenk, Bath, Arsen, etc.. will walk right through him...at least for quite a while.

I don't think Gary will have anything for Devon. I'm sure he can still beat the crap out of the mortals but IMO, guys like Brzenk, Bath, Arsen, etc.. will walk right through him...at least for quite a while.

You're probably right. :)

Goodridge hasn't just beaten John Brzenk (several times) he also has wins on Cleve Dean and Richard Lupkes (Rich says Gary's hook "is like a freight train you and have to be on your best day to beat him").

It all depends on the kind of shape Gary is in. A few years ago (2002-2003?), he competed in a tournament and got like 4th or 5th place behind Earl Wilson, Mike Gould, Greg Boyes and possibly Mike Bowling. Reportedly, Gary had done no arm wrestling training at all and some people talked him into competing.

If arm wrestling paid what MMA pays, I could see Gary coming back and dominating the sport. Since it's a sport with essentially no payout, there's little incentive to train hard enough to get at the level of a Devon, John or Dave. I would therefore predict Devon 6-0.

What tournament did he compete in? I'm not saying you're lying I just did not know that he competed since the 90's. A trained Goodridge will be much better though, look at Voeovda struggling with Denis C. right handed at the beginning of 2008, I bet Voevoda at his peak would have flashed Denis or close to it (remember Denis wasn't as strong back then as he is now). I am sure Goodridge's incentive to train is his love of the sport (same with most of us) or else he wouldn't be coming back. I would be willing to bet that if he comes back he's going to train hard b/c he was #1 back in the day and he won't want to be anything less I'm sure.

What tournament did he compete in? I'm not saying you're lying I just did not know that he competed since the 90's.

It was on armwrestling.com a few years ago but cannot not find it now. Yes, Gary went to a tournament a few years ago. With no training he entered and placed behind those Canadians. In shape, he would have won no doubt.

I see that Travis came within a hair of beating Ron Bath at ROTN. Knowing the type of shape Ron is in now, and after seeing what Arsen did to Travis, I am no longer confident that Devon is the greatest arm wrestler in the world. I want to see him face Arsen.

Edited by G-Man

Gary had monster battles with Cleve Dean in the mid 90s.

Ironmind did an article on him when he was still competing, which talked about his dumbbell wrist curls up to 210 pounds and some of his other training.

I see that Travis came within a hair of beating Ron Bath at ROTN. Knowing the type of shape Ron is in now, and after seeing what Arsen did to Travis, I am no longer confident that Devon is the greatest arm wrestler in the world. I want to see him face Arsen.

+1 Devon vs Arsen

Edited by Puller

Travis isn't in good shape right now, he usually flashed Ron when he's at his peak (his style is just bad for Ron's because he's so fast and can stop Ron from curling in his wrist). Travis is like 260 lbs. (some say less - at his best he is 280 and huge, he looked a lot smaller than at the 2008 ROTN imo). I would like to see Arsen vs. Devon as well only if Arsen beats John and everybody else at the Nemiroff next month though.

I think Tavis at his best could gave a pretty challenge to Arsen but probably he would be defeated anyway...

Devon... is not invicible but for many reasons can fight in almost all techniques and his endurance

could make the difference in some cases.

His structure... especially long hands and leverage in general is some of the worst you can fight against... :whacked

Even if i've seen Dave Randall closing a quite good press on Devon, do you think is a good idea to hook him??

I think Gary could give some good try with 5 months of training... but to beat Devon or Arsen in a Supermatch

i think he must train a little bit more...

Also the age I think could play a BIG role especially with puller like Arsen..... A GREAT COMING BACK anyway :bow

I can no wait for Zloty!! Many high rank pullers over there this year... :mosher

Naturally all i've wrote is IMHO :)