Wrist Curls

StalwartSentinel

I've been doing supplimenmtal wrist curl with dumbell the last 3-4 wks exactly like this. BUt I let my forearm hang 45 degree freely un-supported (elbow 90 degree) while I wrist curl it. The wrist always fails before the bicep does. I top off at 65 lbs dumbell this way, but I have never tried with my wrist on the leg at 45 degree. I was thinking using wrist straps & hooks to hang extra weights on my wrist to make the bicep fails at the same time. My goal is better than 80 lbs in the hand and maybe 20 lbs extra on the wrist...long way to go with my 6.5" wrist :(

I've been doing supplimenmtal wrist curl with dumbell the last 3-4 wks exactly like this. BUt I let my forearm hang 45 degree freely un-supported (elbow 90 degree) while I wrist curl it. The wrist always fails before the bicep does. I top off at 65 lbs dumbell this way, but I have never tried with my wrist on the leg at 45 degree. I was thinking using wrist straps & hooks to hang extra weights on my wrist to make the bicep fails at the same time. My goal is better than 80 lbs in the hand and maybe 20 lbs extra on the wrist...long way to go with my 6.5" wrist :(

I imagine this has more carryover than a supported wrist curl since the arm is never supported in armwrestling......at least it seems more useful. Although the amount of weight used might go down. But if someone can curl 100 pounds but can't wrist curl it. It may become a weakness in a match if someone turns you over. And you can't get a hook in...

Exactly my point Kyle. At 65 lbs my wrist begins to waiver, but I feel my biceps can probably handle about 15-20 more lbs. That would make the whole arm fails at once. I've also tried this way with cable handle wrist curl plus dumbell on wrist via straps. One thing I like about cable handle is you can wrist curl side way: wrist in hammer position while dumbell is on the forearm/bicep. I also train my forearm rotation while dumbell is on wrist as well. Can you imagine the weird look I got from people? a guy doing wrist curl with dumbell dangling on his wrist...LOL nothing is better than that feeling in the gym. Good thing is I can feel every week the same dumbell seems lighter and lighter.

Edited by fightertrainer

• 1 year later...

While not the best way (alone) to do them for arm wrestling, going very heavy strengthens the bones, tendons and ligaments for heavier resistance and seems to make you stronger for the other ways of doing the wrist curls which are more condusive to arm wrestling.

After a few sets of these, we drop the weight down to 130 and then do a four or five round giant set 130 x 10 each hand, then standing, behind the back wrist curl with a 45-pound bar and then repeat.