Finally Bent The Ironmind Yellow Nail

amaury

Ok this is no big deal but today was a real big grip day for me :happy:happy :

- Finally Ued the Ironmind yellow nail (thought it would take me at least two more monthes !) after a 1mn battle (i was recently able to U a 3/13"*6" stretched iron bar which was far more tough than the Green nail but not as tough as the yellow),

- Did 3reps on my #2 (New PR) !

Just wanted to share it with you :)

Amaury.

Thanks Grippintime2 :D,

i used a kind of "hand over hand" technique. I also use the "slim Farman" and the "spike" (to work the wrist in many directions) and for me they rank:

1) Hand over hand

2) "Slim Farman": i can bend a Green nail fairly easily with that technique (but not the yellow),

3) "Spike": can bend a Green nail with this one but it is much harder than with the Slim technique.

Amaury.

Good job on the Yellow. You will probably get the Blue and start bending 60 pennies in a few weeks time.

I am surprised you don't like the "spike bending style". I find it far more natural then the other two styles you mentioned.

Robert

Thanks guys!

Robert: i know you favour the "Spike bending style" and i agree with you that it is more natural (at least than the "hand over hand" coz i find the "Farman" technique quite natural too) but i just don't have as much strength with it. I did some stool lift (a Brookfield tip of the month, which should BTW be renamed "brookfield's tip quarterly" :tongue ) before beginning bending and i believe it helps to improve strength with the Slim's technique (?).

How is your bending going on ?

Amaury.

Hi Amaury,

I have to get back in the groove on bending, since I have been bending only occasionally of late. I am going to try doing bending on Mondays and Fridays in the evening after doing upperbody work in the morning. The gap between the Blue and the Red is daunting, but I would really like to be able to bend a 9"x5/16" piece of the Crown Bolt Co. HRS by the end of 2003.

A couple of my lifting goals for the year are to do an overheadpress with 300lb., and a 400lb. benchpress, which should really help my crushdown strength for the heavier nails. I think you need excellant overall upperbody strength to U-shape the Red.

Robert

I think you need excellant overall upperbody strength to U-shape the Red.

I think so !

I saw the problem emerging with the Yellow and even if i believe i already have enough pec strength to U the Blue i'm sure i would be VERY far from having the pec strength to U the red (not to mention the lacking wrist strength offcourse :tongue ) !

I've got long hands though (8.3") so the part of the bend involving pec strength alone is quite short for me and when i can use both crushing and pec strength, it's in the bag.

Another problem emerging with the Yellow is the way the nail hurts the palm: i think that the red would literally tear the flesh of my palm (specially during the crushdown): did you have the same pb at the beginning and did your hands really toughen up ?

Thanks,

Amaury.

PS: did you try to bend stretched iron ?

Amaury, mice job on the Ironmind YELLOW nail! After you can consistently U-shape these, just keep cutting a 1/4 or 1/8 inch off and bending them until it's the same length as the Ironmind BLUE nail - then you'll be ready to u-shape the BLUE! Good luck with your training!

Amaury,

I always pad my hands (unlike Strongman in his avatar!) and so I have not had a problem with hurting my hands. I did bruise them once or twice when I was first trying to bend the yellow, so maybe they have toughened up a bit.

Robert

I pad my hands too (got it with my bag of nails) but the yellow really hurt the center of my palm while crushing it :whacked

The fact that the palm may toughen up is therefore good news !

RSW,

What do you use to 'pad' your hands? I have a old 'towel' that I wrap each of the ends with when I bend. It's a thin, old dish drying towel.

I don't have the Ironmind set at this time, but using various sizes of nails and also cutting lengths of .250" cold roll steel. I've been able to to get a 7" and a 6,5" CRSteel after a good 2 minute battle. The hands hurt, especially the index finger knuckle. I have to 'change' my style in stages of the bend. Hand over hand to start with then either the 'spike' or the 'Slim' to get the final bend before using the strength needed to get the final 'U'. Thanks for any feed back/input.

I prefer to use a washcloth as padding, but they do rip after a while. The IM blue cloths that come with the nails work alright. Personally, I stop trying to bend the nail well before there is any risk of injury. I think most of the nail bending injuries occur when people are trying to bend a nail that is really beyond their ability. There is nothing wrong with steady, gradual progress. The difference between the Yellow and blue Nail is around 20%. How much time would you give yourself to increase your bench 20%?

Robert

Robert,

How much time would you give yourself to increase your bench 20%?

Depends on how long i've been benchpressing: if i were a beginner then my answer would be "not too much time" ;)

BTW are you able to bend harder nails than the Blue (maybe a green and a white together, two greens or even a Blue and a white together) ?

Thanks for the feedback, RSW. I also appreciate the past posts that you've had, especially with the progression and comparison charts of bending 'torque' needed for various nails or pieces of steel. I agree...slow and steady progress is best...BUT the bending is pretty fun and I'm learning not to overdo it too much.

BTW are you able to bend harder nails than the Blue (maybe a green and a white together, two greens or even a Blue and a white together) ?

Amaury,

I have managed a white and a green before. I will try a Yellow and a White in tonights workout. I think two Yellows would be a nice goal. Two Blues would be exceptional.

Robert

Tried the Yellow and White and bent it ~15 degrees. I think I can definitely get it on a good day. I will try to bend two Yellows as a grip goal for 2003.

Robert

Edited by RSW

Nice job Robert: Yellow (210lbs) White (120lbs)= much more difficult than the blue (even if i think it is less difficult than just one "360lbs" nail isn't it ?).

Congrats !

Amaury.