Mm1 Replica Vs. Coc#3

gerryg

Have any of you guys calibrated the MM1 replicas that the Gripper Super Store sells? What does the average COC#3 calibrate at? I was just wondering how the numbers compare and which gripper is a tougher close.

Guest Bullitt

Average #3 is around 150#. That's deceiving though, because they vary +/- quite a bit. Never calibrated an MM1 replica, but the actual MM1 is harder than any #3 I've ever tried. Especially the last 2mm.

Matti has calibrated almost 600 grippers and has a great chart on the web. I just can't seem to find it right now. Dozens of #3s have been calibrated and I believe some MM replicas too.

Edited by Bullitt

I get 150-154 pretty consistently with most #3s.

I also have an MM1 replica that I bought direct from Warren, but it would be the same thing as through the Superstore. That replica calibrates consistently at 156-158.

Having also tried the real MM1, I thought it felt very similar to the replica at 158.

My MM1 replica from Wade is harder then my MM2 replica! It might be because of the wider spread???

My MM1 replica from Wade is harder then my MM2 replica! It might be because of the wider spread???

Rick - does the MM1 have a wider spread than 2 3/4 or does the MM2 have a narrower spread than 2 3/4? Like everything else these replicas vary but I try my best to pull out anything that isn't between 2 5/8 and 2 7/8. I've also had some (very rare) "soft" beef builder springs that "season" on close. My experience with BB grippers is they do not change spread unless you have one with a spring that wasn't properly tempered after turning, then it will come in on the first close and not move much after that. If you want to do an exchange Rick just shoot me an email.

The MM1 I train with is harder than any of my 3's. I don't put a ton of faith in my RGC calibrations but here's what I came up with once running all these back to back:

MM1 157.50

MM5 162.75 (soft spring - returned to Warren)

MM2 165.50

MM3 179.00

#3.5 180.00 (this is my hardest #3.5)

MM4 185.00

MM6 193.50

Wade

Edited by Wade Gillingham

Wade-

My MM1 is 2-3/4" and my MM2 is 2-5/8". No worries about the trade off Wade, I want to close them both! I will be ordering again soon for some more in between grippers.

-Rick