Card Tearing

Guest sjeff70

Guest sjeff70

I happened across a deck of cards at work today, and I thought I’d see how difficult it would be to tear the deck. It didn’t take very long before I began thinking it was impossible. :blink

It started bothering me how far away and impossible the feat seemed. I wanted to see what kind of technique it would take, so I took a writing tablet (about 70 pages with backing, so you won’t have to worry about locking this post :tongue ) by the binding end in my left hand; and I started trying different things to start a tear in the corner. After a few tries it seemed best to pinch at the top left corner with the left hand, using it as a locked vice that does nothing but hold it for dear life. With my right hand I hold it as if I’m carrying my books under my arm at school. I tear using the right hand, the area where the thumb and thumb pad meet. Then I jerked up and down with the right hand to get the pages to ruffle slightly; and then started tearing in short bursts, back and forth. I’m trying to use what I think Tom Black’s method of pinching and tearing is. I’ve also seen photos of Grimek using a reverse grip to tear cards.

Tearing cards does not compare to a writing tablet, mostly because you can’t slacken a deck of slick cards. The technique appears to be about the same as far as holding goes, but how do you go about starting the tear? There has to be some kind of ruffling to start the tear, and I’m wondering how you get over the slick surface of the cards. :unsure

Jeff

Start with 1/4 of the deck or less and move on from there. John's new book helped me a lot with the technique. Go to the dollar store they have cheap cards to practice with.

I started off by tearing half the deck of cards, and then adding 2-3 cards each tearing workout after that, and almost exactly 2 weeks later was able to tear a complete deck of cards (54 cards) in half in approximately one minute. The progression method for card tearing has worked nicely for a few of my hand strength-gifted friends that I have persuaded to try it.

Before even trying to start the tear, first S-curve the cards. (I don't think I can accurately describe in words how to do it-you might have to actually SEE someone do it) Then get your hands as close together as possible (think of a pair of scissors shearing the paper). Start tearing by levering UP with one hand (doesn't matter which) and DOWN with the other hand. If your technique is sound, and you have enough strength to back it up...the tear will start. Of course you'll have to grip the cards tightly to prevent them from squirming out of your grasp, but that's the fun part! Good luck to you.

Ben Edwards

Guest sjeff70

Hmm...okay, so the S curve is the key. :yikes

You got to have pretty tough skin too I see. Some of the skin on my fingers are pretty damaged. Feels good. :cool

Dollar store...yes, I will definately need to do that.

Jeff