Legit Reverse Style?

JAU1985

Just wanted everyone's input on my reverse style. I've seen a few videos online of guys doing it totally different with both hands bent downward at the wrists, like the Grip FAQ websites video on reverse. I recorded this video tonight in my fourth reverse bending workout since I started bending, I figure if I get some pointers now early on I can fix any mistakes I may have before they become habits. Thanks guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmTcLEWmsa8

I've seen several bend like that. I see nothing wrong with it. Is that how you feel strongest?

If memory serves, that is exactly how Paul Knight bent his bar at GGC '08. Nothing wrong with it at all :)

I find that I'm strongest when my hands are sliding on one-another and are out in front of me with arms slightly bent. It's all about the feeling though. So long as you're not bracing on anything, you're fine :)

Just like Eric & Zack said, it's all about the feel for you, everybody is different. Try switching styles, hands and distance the wraps are from the ends. All of these make a difference. I would try it on something you know you can do like 1/4" stock. Rest a good 5 min or more between bends, Hit it one time and see how far you get it on th efirst hit, take notes and see which works best for you. It took me a couple of workouts to figure out my best set up. And that only worked for me on the 6". I need to do it all over again for the 7". Personally, i find the length affects the style more in Reverse than DO.

The video you did was definately legit. And there are a bunch of people that do it that way. So have fun, and keep experimenting.

Yes Eric this is where I feel my strongest in reverse but I will try a few different things with different length pieces of 1/4" steel stock and some G5 bolts to see where I feel strongest on different lengths. Probably try that sometime tomorrow and see how it goes for me. I am still wanting to kill a piece of 1/4" crs Hex in this style, that will have to be on my next reverse agenda as well.

Mike, I know exactly what you mean about length affecting reverse. In that video of the 7" bar, the last bit of the bend was to get it beyond 90 degrees and that what I have to do with 6" stock to get a good bend in reverse with the style I have become accustomed to. I threw it in the video to show that as well, I just always have to make sure I'm not bracing against the back of my hand while doing it so I need to watch and once I see the bar touch I stop and reset if I need more of a bend... which I have done before and while it (the bar against the back of my hand) does help I thought it would be illegal in a cert bend because the bar would be touching the back of my hand and constitute bracing. Am I wrong or right on this one?

Thanks for your input guys, at least I know I'm not cheating now :laugh because this is where I feel the strongest at the moment.

Is it legit reverse bend, if hands touch forehead? I have noticed that this adds "reverse power".

From reading the FBBC certs page (which is the only site I know of with bending rules or guidelines) if the hands or arms touch any other part of the body besides the abdomen the bend is not valid for certification... but don't take my word for it Johnsson.

Nice Bend Jonathan !!!! You look very powerful :mosher

From reading the FBBC certs page (which is the only site I know of with bending rules or guidelines) if the hands or arms touch any other part of the body besides the abdomen the bend is not valid for certification... but don't take my word for it Johnsson.

Ok, so I do it in wrong way.

Here are the rules from David Horne's site. And rule #10 does allow for the "Jedd Johnson thumb grab" to finish the reverse, is that what you are talking about? Adam Glass has a video of it but he made it private. there may be some other video's on you tube

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/reversestylebending.html