Hot Rolled From Fbbc

John Beatty

FBBC now carries HRS in the 1/4", 5/16, and 3/8 round. Am considering adding square, if there's an interest. Just let me know.

I plan to cut some up & send it out to Eric cor calibration later this week if he's cool with it, also the latest batch of CRS 5/16 is the shininest I've had in a long time, will probably send a few of those along, too.

Edited by John Beatty

Cool, I think I'll get some of the round 1/4" then to work on my reverse, it's been all DO so far and I really need to start training reverse.

One of the really neat things about HRS is the wide bending radius, which makes the crushdown harder than the kink is in comparison. You ought to buy some 5/16" and 3/8" HRS also! The 3/8" is a great way to get used to some thick stock with calibrations somewhere in the high 400s to low 500s usually. You're almost finishing your first Bastard, so it's time to think forward buddy. :mosher

I'm very cool with it, John!

Hey, have you considered the idea of me calibrating one piece from a single long rod so that you can offer pre-calibrated batches? You could charge a premium for the calibrated stock to be used for contests and certs.

Hey, have you considered the idea of me calibrating one piece from a single long rod so that you can offer pre-calibrated batches? You could charge a premium for the calibrated stock to be used for contests and certs.

John,

Eric helped me set up a calibration devise also. I'd love to help out calibrating if needed. Personally i have found calibrated stock makes it alot easier to progress. And because how much everything varies i really think calibrated stock could really help out new benders even more. It eliminates the wondering and dissapointment that can happen. For example, i thought i was doing alot better then i was because i could bend your shiny bastards, but for some reason i could not bend a hex. After i had them calibrated the shiny was at 420 and the hex was at 525. Then it all made sense. Now i can tell what me next step needs to be.

I know for you to offer calibrated stock would be tougher to organize, but if Eric and i help calibrate the stock, i think people would pay a premium to know what a pc is calibrated at. Which should leed to increased sales in th elong run.

Bending unclaibrated stock is like lifting without knowing how much the plates weigh and still trying to make progress! Just my opinion.

Great idea guys! Kind of like David Horne's calibrated Challenge Bars. Every serious bender should be on this bandwagon!

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I see as a problem here is that each long bar I did this to, I'd have to store it, keep it separate from my regular bars, and keep it labeled. And keep some kind of catalog as to what I have & what's gone. As far as the price goes, the CRS bars don't cost me too much that I couldn't keep a few like this, but if we're talking 30, 40, 50 bars, then it starts to get into my pocket. Not in a major way, but I don't carry huge amounts of stock normally, only 20-30 bars at max, 5-10 on stainless & brass, but I handle a LOT of different stocks. 10 different CRS, 4 HRS (just added 3/8" square), 9 stainless, 3 brass. Even at 2 bars on the high end stuff, and say 5-10 bars on the normal stuff, we're talking close to 100 bars that may just sit most of the time. Are you guys just wanting Bastard stock, or others, too. Basically, I just don't have the spare $ that I can tie up $500 or more on holding a bunch of extra stock like this. If it's just Bastard stock, then maybe, but otherwise, I don't think I can do it.

Edited by John Beatty

That 3/8" Square ought to sell like hot cakes! I saw it on several online dealers but they were usually out of stock.