My New Home Depot 2" Axle

Guest Bullitt

That looks slick. 300 on that is a solid lift.

Yea, it's pretty darn slick. They coat it with some black shiny stuff (assuming that's to keep it from rusting). It's starting to flake off a bit. I'm going to try and resist helping it along, as the slickness adds a liitle difficulty. It holds chalk real well where it has flaked, but the slick area won't hold it at all. If I can figure out a way to pull big numbers on this, I should be golden on a real axle.

Looks good. What did you use on the inner plate side to keep them from sliding inwards?

Nice axle for the money :mosher

Wow, nice! Is it 7' long? Now I have to go get one!! Looks like it is knurled in the middle, is it?

Very sweet axle bro!!! My brother had the same stuff for a D\L platform. . . . I bet your deadlift workout shakes the house !!!! HAHA.

Looks good. What did you use on the inner plate side to keep them from sliding inwards?

I wrapped Gorilla tape around and around and built it up like an inside collar. Worked great.

Wow, nice! Is it 7' long? Now I have to go get one!! Looks like it is knurled in the middle, is it?

7' long exactly. I had them cut it down from the 10' section they had. No knurling. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

Very sweet axle bro!!! My brother had the same stuff for a D\L platform. . . . I bet your deadlift workout shakes the house !!!! HAHA.

Yea, the wife loves it. :whistel:whistel

Edited by Bullitt

It will work great for deadlifts, but it wont work at all for strongman-style axle work. I had one almost exactly like that for my last comp and we did the Axle C&J. The bar has a nice frown now :D

HHit it with some sand paper, then some flat black paint, you'll be able to hold chalk better, trust me ill get a pic of mine up soon to show ya.

Rico

It will work great for deadlifts, but it wont work at all for strongman-style axle work. I had one almost exactly like that for my last comp and we did the Axle C&J. The bar has a nice frown now :D

Yea, I figure it wouldn't be the best for anything explosive. But for DLs, rows, and shrugs I'm fairly certain it would hold up to 400lbs without frowning or smiling.

HHit it with some sand paper, then some flat black paint, you'll be able to hold chalk better, trust me ill get a pic of mine up soon to show ya.

Rico

Thanks bro!

I put 6 piece full length piecec of rebar in mine and used a rod to pack liquiey cement in it and I've had 500 on mine many times , its a nice weekend project. And the weight is the same as a olympic bar when done.

Rico

Nice homemade axle Mike! How does it compare to the Axle you used at the USGC last week? I'm curious to see how close your numbers are on the two of them. 2-hand DO numbers of course.

Nice homemade axle Mike! How does it compare to the Axle you used at the USGC last week? I'm curious to see how close your numbers are on the two of them. 2-hand DO numbers of course.

I think this one is slightly skinnier 1.93" diameter vs. 2" for the IM axle. That would make the circumference difference 0.22" although my fingers seem to touch exactly the same as they did on Chris' axle so not sure. It is slicker than Chris' axle so that made it a little harder. I had done a ton of gripper closes that day as well. From a purely feel standpoint though, I thought the difficulty was about the same. I pulled 313# at USGC and struggled about the same with 300# on this one. Again though, I had done a bunch of gripper closes and didn't have that competition adrenaline flowing.

I think i would pull pretty similar numbers on both fresh. Once the shiny coating wears off and this starts holding chalk, I may be able to pull slightly more with this one.

Sandpaper or steel wool! It won't wear off if kept indoors.

Rico

going to Home Depot tonight for some 2" pipe.

The pipe is 1.5" inside diameter.

Sandpaper or steel wool! It won't wear off if kept indoors.

Rico

I didn't say I wasn't going to help it wear off. ;)

IronMinds Apollon Axle is exactly 2" with .25 wall and the ends turned down to 1.95" so all plates will fit. The pipe bars we are taking about come in schedule 40 (the most common at .145 wall) and schedule 80 (thicker and stronger at .200 wall) The schedule 40 will go over 400# on things like dead lifts etc without bending but will dent a little under the plates if dropped and heavy cleans and longer dynamic lifts and drops will bend it up a lot. The schedule 80 will hold up pretty well to most things and is worth the extra money especially if you plan any strongman overhead stuff. It is worth the trouble to sand off the black (or kind of green) coating on the pipe bars as the bare steel will "season" like an IM Axle and give results that compare better to the IM bar.

Just for others information - this is 1 1/2" pipe that gives a 1.9" OD, 2" pipe is 2 3/8" OD and will fit over 1 1/2" and give an Inch sized handle.

Edited by climber511

Rebar will fit inside 1/2 or 3/8 I can't remember, all around then one in the middle.

Rico

IronMinds Apollon Axle is exactly 2" with .25 wall and the ends turned down to 1.95" so all plates will fit. The pipe bars we are taking about come in schedule 40 (the most common at .145 wall) and schedule 80 (thicker and stronger at .200 wall) The schedule 40 will go over 400# on things like dead lifts etc without bending but will dent a little under the plates if dropped and heavy cleans and longer dynamic lifts and drops will bend it up a lot. The schedule 80 will hold up pretty well to most things and is worth the extra money especially if you plan any strongman overhead stuff. It is worth the trouble to sand off the black (or kind of green) coating on the pipe bars as the bare steel will "season" like an IM Axle and give results that compare better to the IM bar.

Just for others information - this is 1 1/2" pipe that gives a 1.9" OD, 2" pipe is 2 3/8" OD and will fit over 1 1/2" and give an Inch sized handle.

Great info Chris! Thanks! I borrowed some calipers from the guy that lives next door and the average wall thickness measurement I got was right around .210 (edges were a little rough from the cut, so that could account for the extra thickness), so I'm assuming this is schedule 80. I got readings on outside diameter of 1.91" - 1.93".

I thought the Ironmind axle was 2" schedule 80 pipe turned down.

I thought the Ironmind axle was 2" schedule 80 pipe turned down.

It's actually 2"DOM tubing with a .25" wall I believe.