Weaver Stick

The Natural

I have lifted 350 each hand farmers before Not sure I would get much of a hold out of it. I think my best with 300 a hand is 15 or 20 second and 280 a hand is almost 40 seconds. I think the problem would be some of the smaller grip guys don't have the body strength to pick up 700 lbs even if it is just a lockout.

I'd be curious to see how many of the "top guys" would fail on these 350 farmers, assuming they were taken off of blocks. Beatty has had HH two years in a row and Chris Rice beat The Chad one year and Chad won it the next with Beatty in 2nd and I believe Dave T in third. To clarify: The "top guys" still do quite well on the HH so if it turns out that they don't do so well on farmers, even taken off of blocks, it just goes to show that farmers is more total body than grip.

Josh, you're comparing them only against each other. Chad and John both do strongman, or did, so they're exceptions. But as far as the others go, even though the top gripsters might beat all the other gripsters, they wouldn't even get a middle placement compared to those outside the grip world. Top grip guys can hold their own on many events. But this one in particular would be a real embarrassment. And that's a shame, since it's such a common test of overall grip strength (and a handsize fair one to boot).

-Rex

In any case, even conceding that it's not a "pure" grip event, it's still a good test of who's got a strong grip, and it's one that would stop many from buying a plane ticket or driving long ways to the contest. That's the main point here. Quality of events has little to do with how much people enjoy a contest.

-Rex

I'd be curious to see how many of the "top guys" would fail on these 350 farmers, assuming they were taken off of blocks. Beatty has had HH two years in a row and Chris Rice beat The Chad one year and Chad won it the next with Beatty in 2nd and I believe Dave T in third. To clarify: The "top guys" still do quite well on the HH so if it turns out that they don't do so well on farmers, even taken off of blocks, it just goes to show that farmers is more total body than grip.

Josh, you're comparing them only against each other. Chad and John both do strongman, or did, so they're exceptions. But as far as the others go, even though the top gripsters might beat all the other gripsters, they wouldn't even get a middle placement compared to those outside the grip world. Top grip guys can hold their own on many events. But this one in particular would be a real embarrassment. And that's a shame, since it's such a common test of overall grip strength (and a handsize fair one to boot).

-Rex

Chris Rice beat Chad and John the first year, both do Strongman as you mentioned, and Chris does not do Strongman. As for the middle placement, I'd agree on the farmers but it's not strictly a grip event so it's moot. HH however, would be another story IMO. You have to remember, Beatty's contest is the only one that has had one consistently and I don't know of any grip guys, other than maybe Beatty or Chad, that get to train it. I think you definitely need weight classes though if you're going to do HH as standard support event. The first year Beatty did it, 160# Scott Harris came off the ground and was holding on in midair for a bit.

Is there any video of the hammer lifting you mentioned Rex? I don't know the movements you are talking about. Thanks.

Calling any particular event as "quality" over any other is always a judgment call - your quality event is the next guys junk. Rex I have never seen a better test of grip strength than rock climbing (and I believe I am qualified to say that)- including your farmers holds or anything else ever done in grip, strongman, or old time feats of anything. So does climbing belong in grip comps - probably not but I wish it were - I think I might do rather well. :inno:inno:inno Come to Gripmas - you and I will go head to head - two events - 700# farmers hold for time and unroped climbing wall (25') over broken glass - you always say we don't have any risk. :D:D:D:D

I think I can pick up 700# FW off of blocks but certainly not from normal height. The biggest Farmers walk I have ever done was 250 per hand for 50' - grip was not an issue in any way - but my body was. I weigh 200# - you weigh 300# - lets do body weight for time - might that be fairer? 350# a hand is 50# over your weight - it's also 50# less than TWICE my weight. At some point in our choice of events - the size of the individual is going to have to be considered or grip as a competitive sport is going to disappear. How long do you think Power Lifting or Olympic lifting would have lasted if there was only one weight class?

Well first of all, the Weaver Stick seems better than the hammer to the rear, cause you can get the whole body into that hammer lift.

We can see who does what at MGC next year. 600 or 500 with a Trap bar, hold for time off blocks.

To some degree, and only for guys online, maybe 10 years ago that was a good point. Now- Well, not so much. It is easy to pick on us (as a group), not many of us aren't breaking world records anywhere else. We have some great guys though. I think the biggest and the strongest would have trouble in a good grip event against Thorton, Durniat, Jedd, and many others. Not to mention Horne, McKinless, or Mobster.

I think I know where you are going. I have always said a perfect grip contest would be hammers to the head, grippers, and shirted bench press. I mean, you gotta have strong wrists to support 600+! Until your dream and my dream become reality, we'll compete with what we have.

Calling any particular event as "quality" over any other is always a judgment call - your quality event is the next guys junk. Rex I have never seen a better test of grip strength than rock climbing (and I believe I am qualified to say that)- including your farmers holds or anything else ever done in grip, strongman, or old time feats of anything. So does climbing belong in grip comps - probably not but I wish it were - I think I might do rather well. :inno:inno:inno Come to Gripmas - you and I will go head to head - two events - 700# farmers hold for time and unroped climbing wall (25') over broken glass - you always say we don't have any risk. :D:D:D:D

I think I can pick up 700# FW off of blocks but certainly not from normal height. The biggest Farmers walk I have ever done was 250 per hand for 50' - grip was not an issue in any way - but my body was. I weigh 200# - you weigh 300# - lets do body weight for time - might that be fairer? 350# a hand is 50# over your weight - it's also 50# less than TWICE my weight. At some point in our choice of events - the size of the individual is going to have to be considered or grip as a competitive sport is going to disappear. How long do you think Power Lifting or Olympic lifting would have lasted if there was only one weight class?

Chris, I didn't say anything about 350 in my original post. I think Josh read that in there somehow. What I told Eric I had in mind was something around 300 for HW's and 270 for LW's. About what you'd find at a platinum level NAS event. I agree with you that for events like this, a weight divison makes good sense. I had that in mind from the get go.

Jedd, I sent you a PM with the link.

Bob, I think you should know by now that I don't let what I'm good at determine the events. For a while everyone was on a "Rex doesn't like bending because he's not all that great at it" kick. Now those people look like idiots. I'm one of the best benders this board has ever seen, and I still don't think bending is a test of grip and I still think it should not be a contest event. Then it was "Rex doesn't think hammers test hand strength because he's not great at them." Well, now I am great at them and I still don't think they're a test of hand strength. The people who take this sort of line are fast running out of options. I feel kind of sorry for them, really.

-Rex

You are right there Rex, you have stayed consistent in that regard. My apologies.

Here is the best challenge- Get really good at everything, then beat everyone. You are strong as hell and young, but old man Thorton (among others) could hand you a good ass whipping at almost any grip contest. Brouse said it best- He is your age, 300+ pounds, and pissed that Thorton can just whoop his ass.

You saw my event list at the P+B for the next MI comp, if you've got time and money come on up.

Also- The best grip guys, over the course of the last few years, haven't been too weak. I don't know how strong Paul is, but Eric, Jedd, Thorton, Woodall, and Durniat aren't weaklings. Ryan Klein had a go, and I would say he is one of the competitors with near world class strength.

Maybe you and I are after the same thing. I would like to see anyone and everyone interested in grip stuff hop in. If asses are kicked, records are broken, and feelings are hurt, well too bad. I think our guys would have trouble, for the most part, keeping up in any full body-dependent grip lift with any world class strong lifter. I also wonder if some world class type lifters would be embarassed to lose to some relatively unknown grip competitor.

Hats off to Odd Haugen for stepping in and supporting local grip stuff in his area.

I think that holds for time will hurt most gripsters as they are used to a heavy lifts/pulls/squeezes and don't train for time as much .... although I may be speaking for myself ... I'm sure if all the grip guys would start training farmers implements for time, we would start to see some big numbers from the grip guys as well. "Strongmen" train for this type of event .....

I think that holds for time will hurt most gripsters as they are used to a heavy lifts/pulls/squeezes and don't train for time as much .... although I may be speaking for myself ... I'm sure if all the grip guys would start training farmers implements for time, we would start to see some big numbers from the grip guys as well. "Strongmen" train for this type of event .....

Good point. I think with 6 weeks of training one could just about get as good at a hold for time as he is going to get with a year of training though. So if a hold for time were to be contested, I would probably focus on other things up until about 6 weeks away from the contest and then start doing the holds.

That's pretty much how I have ramped up for most of the grip comps and strongman comps I have done over the years.

We played around with holds tonight. Eric did 275 in each hand for 58 seconds. I did 310 in each hand for 30 seconds. Eric and I plan to train this and see how much we can improve. Six weeks sounds like a good cycle. I need a lot more work than he does.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Eric did very well on the 100# plate hold event we had a couple years back at Gripmas so I'm not surprised that he had good endurance here as well. He's also a 600# deadlifter - I'm actually much more impressed at his time than yours Rex - get to work :rolleyes

We played around with holds tonight. Eric did 275 in each hand for 58 seconds. I did 310 in each hand for 30 seconds. Eric and I plan to train this and see how much we can improve. Six weeks sounds like a good cycle. I need a lot more work than he does.

-Rex

I'm curious how long most people think it takes to achieve what might be called contest condition starting from what might be called your "base" training condition (not a deconditioned state). An example is this post saying six weeks from Jedd and Rex - I tend to agree pretty much with that time frame - maybe a little longer for me as I think my grip peaks quicker than my overall body strength which I would need to work for this particular event. Thoughts?

-Rex

I'm curious how long most people think it takes to achieve what might be called contest condition starting from what might be called your "base" training condition (not a deconditioned state). An example is this post saying six weeks from Jedd and Rex - I tend to agree pretty much with that time frame - maybe a little longer for me as I think my grip peaks quicker than my overall body strength which I would need to work for this particular event. Thoughts?

I like longer, linear cycles for pinch and thickbar, with a deload period starting about three weeks out, which gives me more time to 'train up' my grippers. Grippers seem more sensitive and fluctuate more, so I focus on them closer to contest time.

-Rex

Eric did very well on the 100# plate hold event we had a couple years back at Gripmas so I'm not surprised that he had good endurance here as well. He's also a 600# deadlifter - I'm actually much more impressed at his time than yours Rex - get to work :rolleyes

I remember, Eric beat the crap out of everybody on that one!

I remember, Eric beat the crap out of everybody on that one!

Josh, you could have had it if that fly had not landed on the plate. Remember, I only beat you by one second!