Guess Who Else Can Lever A 20lb Sledge?

rico300zx

Hey guys I filmed my lever video tonight, I know I'm no John Eaton, Rex Hubbard, Jedd Johnson or Mike K. but I really like this sport and these guys really keep me going and motivated. If anyone is reading this give me some input if you have a minute.

The hammer stats are: 21lbs 10oz, 32 1/2" handle and my hand was all the way at the end of it in the starting position, chalk only.

In case any of that matters. I also weigh and measure once I get the camera off the tripod, hard to do with a sledge in your other hand.

Good work. Not fully strict, but you've got the strength to do it strict right now, so I'd just do it over again tomorrow or whenever. Just make these changes

1) Wrap the handle in athletic tape, and rub some chalk into the tape. This alone can add a couple of pounds to a max lever. Those clear-coat handles are no good when it comes to getting PR's.

2) Grab it at 31". You're adding about 30 extra inch pounds when you go out to the end of the 32.5" handle.

Looks like you're another future hammer expert.

-Rex

I would call that a VERY impressive display of strength! :rock However, the bottom of your wrist did dip below your elbow a bit. Some might say this is just an arbitrary standard I set, but I chose it because it is relatively easy to eyeball, much like a parallel squat in a powerlifting meet. If someone has better, clearly definable way of judging for performance consistency I would like to hear some suggestions. What do you think, Parris?

I would call that a VERY impressive display of strength! :rock However, the bottom of your wrist did dip below your elbow a bit. Some might say this is just an arbitrary standard I set, but I chose it because it is relatively easy to eyeball, much like a parallel squat in a powerlifting meet. If someone has better, clearly definable way of judging for performance consistency I would like to hear some suggestions. What do you think, Parris?

yea i hear you guys, but guess what i was so afraid to hit my ceiling for some reason i think it dipped alittle cause i was thinking of that the whole time! if i hold it at 31 like Rex said im sure i could do no dipping if i was outside.

As for a better way of judging im not sure there is one, the no dipping rule is cool, but yo, its really hard to not dip, that 20 is heavy out there by itself, especially for me, im not really that big. but ill work toward that, since thats what i think will be best for this type of lift. i personally would keep the rule because it is very easy to judge as long as people dont find ways to cheat the camera or camera angle.

rico

Nice job Parris, i think if you did that outside you could easily keep it up higher. But it was still very impressive considering you grabbed it out past 31". Looks like we can start to push the hammer lever here in eastern PA.

I don't think the wrist/elbow thing is gonna be a good standard. With shorter armed people you get what ends up with an ugly lever.

Here are three examples of 20 pound levers-

#1 is how I usually lever. Basically the closest to the spirit of the rules for me. I didn't move anything but my wrist.

#2 is my best looking "Texas Style" lever. It was very hard.

#3 is what my levers with your rules would end up looking like.

For #2+3, the wrist part of the lever isn't hard, the only hard part is keeping my arm in position. #3 is really the only way to do it, because taking a hammer behind the head to a point I can't see ends up just being a guessing game.

Now, if you start making ROM requirements to get past a hammer like #3, then it takes things backwards, because really the point of the wrist/elbow thing is to preserve ROM anyways and you might as well make ROM the standard, which is impossible to do without a little extra work.

I don't think the wrist/elbow thing is gonna be a good standard. With shorter armed people you get what ends up with an ugly lever.

Here are three examples of 20 pound levers-

#1 is how I usually lever. Basically the closest to the spirit of the rules for me. I didn't move anything but my wrist.

#2 is my best looking "Texas Style" lever. It was very hard.

#3 is what my levers with your rules would end up looking like.

For #2+3, the wrist part of the lever isn't hard, the only hard part is keeping my arm in position. #3 is really the only way to do it, because taking a hammer behind the head to a point I can't see ends up just being a guessing game.

Now, if you start making ROM requirements to get past a hammer like #3, then it takes things backwards, because really the point of the wrist/elbow thing is to preserve ROM anyways and you might as well make ROM the standard, which is impossible to do without a little extra work.

Number 2 was hard, because it is! Not cause your arm is short. Well I think its hard . If I were judgeing 1 and 2 would both pass. I think a little dip would be ok now that I give more thought to it.

On the other hand I really respect Rex's imput about it ecept the grip tape part. Should we use grip tape on our Blobs too? I say no grip tape

Rico

BTW, your lever was strong!

The only way shorter arms makes the lever harder is because it is a bitch when you can't see where the hammer is going.

Thanks for all the pats on the back guys!!

Rico

I dont know squat about levering, what is good, what is "legal" but I do know 2 things.

#1-as a drummer that mini drum kit is badd a$$.

#2-my 5 year old has that same air hockey table and I crush him in a game to 10.

I dont know squat about levering, what is good, what is "legal" but I do know 2 things.

#1-as a drummer that mini drum kit is badd a$$.

#2-my 5 year old has that same air hockey table and I crush him in a game to 10.

Yo Rick, those drums cost me a lot of money, the kids love them. I beat my 10 year old too, but I use my left hand for playing my 5 year old. But I let him win a lot.

Rico

Rico great job :rock could just sand off the glossy finish

also have the same hockey table and we did have the drum set at one time but got destroyed in a battle of the bands..

Matt

Its not too glossy, that hammer is 19 years old and well used, I bought if from a mountainous man. He said the other ones were to light for him but his back was hurt so he couldn't use it any more. I levered for him in his garage, he was veryyy impressed since he stood about 6 in taller than me and about 320!

Rico