Up Go The Dinnies!

jad

Awesome :rock

That was a great lift! How come no kilt?

Great stuff. Me and a buddy are going to travel to Scotland next year (either in spring or summer break) to attempt both the Dinnie Stones and the Inver Stone.

Thanks everyone. That's my video. I just saw an email where Josh said he posted it.

Min-min - about the kilt. I actually had my kilt and everything in the car but when I jumped out of the car and saw the stones I just got excited and wanted to lift and said the hell with putting on my kilt. I had a nice shirt to wear with my kilt as well but instead did it in the clothes I was wearing that day while driving. Looking back, I wish I would have calmed down and taken my time, put on my kilt and enjoyed the moment. From the time I pulled in till the time I was done was only about 10-15 minutes.

Here's the write up I put on another site:

I just got home yesterday from my trip to Scotland and Ireland. We got into Edinburgh on September 5 after a night of flying. On September 7 we headed north to Potarch to find the Dinnie Stones. I was nervous because I hadn’t slept much since arriving and the night before I was restless knowing I was going to attempt the Dinnie Stones the next day. We were heading to Aboyne to check into our hotel when I saw the sign for Potarch and swerved off towards Potarch. I was cruising down the road when I looked over and saw the Potarch Hotel and I slammed on the brakes. I jumped out of the car leaving my wife behind and went towards the door. When I saw the Dinnie Stones I got pretty excited, like a little kid, well a big kid as I was never little. I had planned to put on my kilt to lift but I was so excited I rushed back to the car and just wanted to go lift. My wife set up the camera while I dug my chalk, straps (just in case) and a towel out of our luggage.

I saw the stones on the pea gravel and the gravel had me concerned as I fell on my butt while moving the small stone over towards the large stone. I’d been warned that the pea gravel was a challenge but I hadn’t thought much about it till I was on my rear. I was also concerned when I saw that the rings looked almost polished smooth and shiny. They were slick and smooth, I had expected rusty and rough. I had all these plans to warm up and get ready to pull but I was just so excited that I wanted to get to it. I did a two handed lift of the large stone and then moved the small one and figured that was enough warm up.

I first set up and pulled and the small stone came up no problem but I had a grip issue with the large stone. I quickly adjusted and pulled them up. I was pumped. I went to look at my wife’s footage and decided I wanted to do another so I walked over and did another. Meanwhile there were some older women peeking out the door to the restaurant all asking, “Did he lift them?” and a little fellow (that I had a hard time understanding) went in to tell everyone what he just saw. I decided to go for a third pull, as I was just happy to be lifting and pulled the third. After the third I noticed I ripped my thumb pretty good so I quit. I then went inside to rinse out my wound and have a whisky at the bar.

The whole time I was at the bar I was contemplating taping up my thumb and pulling some more or even putting on straps and playing around but decided I had already accomplished what I set out to do. But, as time went on and the days have gone by I really wanted to lift them more and regretted not lifting them as much as I could. SO, I am already discussing with my wife a return trip to Scotland when I can visit the Dinnie Stones again and go lift the Inver Stone as well.

:bow:rock Brilliant...........hope u had a cracking time in Scotland its a beautiful part of the world,been there myself many times!

Great writeup man! I honestly could feel the excitement pouring out of your words when I read it a few minutes ago. Hope I get to meet up with you one of these days over at Josh's. I'm guessing you have a big powerlifting background...

I'm guessing you have a big powerlifting background...

Was it the huge belly that gave it away? LOL.

I train with a bunch of powerlifters so I kind of do powerlifting in the gym but I only compete in Highland Games. I think I met you once at a grip deal in Kansas City on a day when is snowed like mad.

Was it the huge belly that gave it away? LOL.

I train with a bunch of powerlifters so I kind of do powerlifting in the gym but I only compete in Highland Games. I think I met you once at a grip deal in Kansas City on a day when is snowed like mad.

Haha, it was the strength that gave it away! Sorry I forgot meeting you, it must've been when I was really focused.

Awesome lifts man!! Is there any prerequisite to lifting the Dinnies or could anyone just travel over and give them a try if they felt they had the strength and toughness??

Awesome lifts man!! Is there any prerequisite to lifting the Dinnies or could anyone just travel over and give them a try if they felt they had the strength and toughness??

They sit out in front of the Potarch Hotel, just walk up and lift them. I emailed them to make sure they'd be there as the whole reason for going to that part of Scotland was to lift the stones. As far as I know, they only leave the hotel once a year and that is the first weekend of August to go to the Aboyne Highland Games but Aboyne is only like 5 miles down the road.