Grip Nationals Discussion

Jedd Johnson

I just put up a post on the site about GGC/Nationals this weekend. It is going to be a showdown!

Check it out: http://www.dieselcrew.com/grip-strength-contest-2009

We will be streaming it live on the internet so don't miss out!

This is a tough one. The weaver stick is the perverbial wrench thrown in the works. I love the event, but I'm not sure how many people have actually been training it. I'm willing to bet that Goody will do VERY well too. This will be a good comp.

Jedd, when you get the link, send it to Strossen, he'll put it on his website in the IronMind News. That would broaden the base a bit.

This is a tough one. The weaver stick is the perverbial wrench thrown in the works. I love the event, but I'm not sure how many people have actually been training it. I'm willing to bet that Goody will do VERY well too. This will be a good comp.

I've never done weaver stick in my life :help

I've never done weaver stick in my life :help

I'm with you on this one.

Jedd, when you get the link, send it to Strossen, he'll put it on his website in the IronMind News. That would broaden the base a bit.

:rock :rock :rock

It's hard to keep your arm away from your body and do the lift. I find it to be pretty unnatural. on the other hand I've never heard anyone who does train it lift a smaller number than me so...

We did it at Gripmas - I think all you big dogs should open at about 15# - I mean come on - it's only a ten and a five right? :blush The surprise comes when you let go and the pain hits - for whatever strange reason it doesn't hurt during - but after.

Are you going to post a link to the live stream on here Jedd? I'd like to watch since i'm a loser and can't come watch in person

Are you going to post a link to the live stream on here Jedd? I'd like to watch since i'm a loser and can't come watch in person

If you sign up for the grip strength newsletter on the site he will send you the link for the ustream when it is ready.

HEY! Zach is part of the Michigan Crew!!!!!

Great stuff. Andrew, Dave, or Jedd. As always, I am rooting for Dave.

Ahhh, I will say it favors Jedd (not by design, good events). Dave is so close on grippers, pinch, and axle that it is tough to call. Jedd owns the medley I bet, and Andrew owns the axle.

Jedd, are you supplying the wrist wraps?

We are all using one of my wrist wraps for consistency.

Jedd, are you supplying the wrist wraps?

We are all using one of my wrist wraps for consistency.

Very good point and well thought out. :rock :rock

I was going to bring a couple different sizes. :whistel

To those competing The weaver stick event for the first time I'd recommend not going too conservative especially if you have decent wrist strength or hammer levering abilitys. I went way to conservative and hit all my lifts maxing at 12lb at Gripmas last year with likely more gas in the tank. I'm guessing other people were in the same boat as well because 10 out 16 people all made their 4th attempt as well.

To those competing The weaver stick event for the first time I'd recommend not going too conservative especially if you have decent wrist strength or hammer levering abilitys. I went way to conservative and hit all my lifts maxing at 12lb at Gripmas last year with likely more gas in the tank. I'm guessing other people were in the same boat as well because 10 out 16 people all made their 4th attempt as well.

I think they should all wait until 16 or 17 pounds t come in. set the bar high.

I agree - start very very heavy - 15 is a good number :blush . Seriously it's a funny lift - and figuring out openers etc is hard if you haven't practiced it as even lighter weights seem to feel really hard. Get in your opener - don't bomb the event no matter what - then figure your jumps. I know this doesn't mean much but looking at the chart from Gripmas - I think those who did 12# and above probably all had a 16 to 20# sledge lever to the head if that helps any.

I didn't say to be stupid about it... Obviously hit a lower weight as an opener... I just think that some of us were a bit conservative because of the lack of experience in the event at Gripmas.

For reference I've done a 16lb sledge lever to the head and 10lb hammer deadlift(front lever) from the floor(each at a MGC).

I didn't say to be stupid about it... Obviously hit a lower weight as an opener... I just think that some of us were a bit conservative because of the lack of experience in the event at Gripmas.

For reference I've done a 16lb sledge lever to the head and 10lb hammer deadlift(front lever) from the floor(each at a MGC).

Jess - I didn't mean to imply anything like that - I just figured that if everyone starts at 15# - many might miss - giving me a little help in the scoring hehe.

My understanding is that if a grip competition athlete does 2 sets of 20 rep heavy weight squats the night before, grip strength and the Weaver Stick both get a big boost the following day. I will be traveling, so I won't be able to do that. I encourage everyone else to do this and then you can tell me how well it worked when I see you Saturday. You can thank me then for the help.

Mike

My understanding is that if a grip competition athlete does 2 sets of 20 rep heavy weight squats the night before, grip strength and the Weaver Stick both get a big boost the following day. I will be traveling, so I won't be able to do that. I encourage everyone else to do this and then you can tell me how well it worked when I see you Saturday. You can thank me then for the help.

Mike

Ah - the old age and treachery gambit! Way to go Mike! You all listen to your elders now and do as he said.

I will predict right now that I will place in the top 5 of my division.....

The over 40 division that is. :D

I'm in the Columbus airport killing time and getting psyched for this weekend. Can't wait!