So Nothing Else While Doing Kta?

TheAugustKid

I just purchased the KTA program and am very excited to begin the program. Now I saw that it says not to perform any other grip exercises outside of the gripper work and the dynamic thumb work. Which kind of bugs me. I know you're probably thinking I won't want to do any other exercises after doing KTA because my hands will be spent, which is true and I know I wont want to.

But it just bugs me to think I'll be neglecting wrist work and support grip work during the program. How did other people find a way to cope with this? Can I still do static holds from a pull up bar to help keep my support grip up to par since it's probably my weakest type of grip and needs to most work?

And I had just began levering only a few weeks ago and was really enjoying it. I find it hard to put it down now and not work my wrists anymore.

Any solutions? What do you guys think?

I did other grip related activities while using KTA and still made great gains. If you're going to do any levering etc, I would just do your gripper workout before anything else.

Did you forget your hands are killing you one post below this one ? This program is (from what I've read) is not good to start on until you are fresh.....because it's going to beat your hands up. Please let your hands heal up so you can reap the full amount of gain from KTA. If not you might be struggling to hold a pen in a week or two.

I tried to do some thick bar stuff while doing KTA and I found it to be a waste of time. Your hands are going to be very fatigued from all the gripper work you'll be doing. Your best bet is to put your other grip/wrist work on hold until you finish the KTA. Trust me - the results you'll get from KTA will be well worth the small amount you may lose on your other events.

KTA is not really for someone just starting out that wants to play with new things. Read the info and set it aside until you have a goal of getting stronger ONLY at grippers.

KTA is not really for someone just starting out that wants to play with new things. Read the info and set it aside until you have a goal of getting stronger ONLY at grippers.

Well I'm planning to wait until my hands fully heal before I begin the program definitely. And I wouldn't say that I'm just someone starting out looking for new things. I've been doing extensive grip work for a bit over half a year now. I am really wanting to improve my crushing strength because I have plateaued for awhile now after just barely closed the HG 250. I'm really wanting to work my way up to the HG 350, and then afterward get all of the COC grippers and make my way to crushing a #3. I think I'm just as qualified to follow the program as any other grip enthusiast. I'm not one to shy away from grueling work.

I wouldn't say my hands were "killing me" to any extent. It's only a nuisance if anything. And actually I've realized that they only hurt to squeeze when my hands have not been warmed up properly, besides that they're fine. But I'm still planning to wait until my hands fully heal before I begin the program anyway. And I wouldn't say that I'm just someone starting out looking for new things. I've been doing extensive grip work for a bit over half a year now. I am really wanting to improve my crushing strength because I have plateaued for awhile now after just barely closed the HG 250. I'm really wanting to work my way up to the HG 350, and then afterward get all of the COC grippers and make my way to crushing a #3. I think I'm just as qualified to follow the program as any other grip enthusiast. I'm not one to shy away from grueling work.

Edited by TheAugustKid

So let me get this straight...you currently have an injury - you just took a week off and felt no improvement - now you want to jump on KTA?! :erm I'm not seeing anything good coming from this. Most likely you'll make your current injury worse or gain a new injury on top of the old one forcing you to quit KTA. You can take some time off now and let things heal up, or continue on the road to self-destruction and we'll see you in 6 months after your forced layoff from all things grip. If I were you I'd get your hands healthy and save the KTA until you have a solid year of grip training under your belt.

So let me get this straight...you currently have an injury - you just took a week off and felt no improvement - now you want to jump on KTA?! :erm I'm not seeing anything good coming from this. Most likely you'll make your current injury worse or gain a new injury on top of the old one forcing you to quit KTA. You can take some time off now and let things heal up, or continue on the road to self-destruction and we'll see you in 6 months after your forced layoff from all things grip. If I were you I'd get your hands healthy and save the KTA until you have a solid year of grip training under your belt.

Well like I said I wasn't planning on starting any grip work until my hands were back to normal. And i wasn't under the impression that I needed to be greatly experienced to reap benefits from the program. In the e book itself it prescribed the layout of the program for someone going from a coc #1 to a #2. Which I see myself being right in that range. Maybe going straight into so much volume isn't a good idea. But I was just really excited to follow an actual program that I can stick to and actually start seeing more gripper progress than just doing whatever I think may work and finding out it hasn't. Any other opinions on the matter?

Let your hands heal, then wait until you can close the #2 on the regular or can close the 2.5 for a few reps before doing KTA. Build a base before you try such a hardcore program, wait until your grip is a bit stronger then do the program and reap maximum benefits.

Well like I said I wasn't planning on starting any grip work until my hands were back to normal. And i wasn't under the impression that I needed to be greatly experienced to reap benefits from the program. In the e book itself it prescribed the layout of the program for someone going from a coc #1 to a #2. Which I see myself being right in that range. Maybe going straight into so much volume isn't a good idea. But I was just really excited to follow an actual program that I can stick to and actually start seeing more gripper progress than just doing whatever I think may work and finding out it hasn't. Any other opinions on the matter?

Just wait until your hands are 100% and then give it a try. Being a beginner or veteran has no influence on if you're ready for KTA, it's all about your mental and physical toughness. You have to be ready to bring it, and you have to be ready for some pain. Everytime I've gone through a KTA cycle I've had duct tape and super glue plastered over my hands for most of the workouts because I always lose some skin in the palms of my hands and really superglue is the only thing that's helped enough to continue on the program. To succeed with KTA you need the correct mindset, if you are tough enough to get through the program and give 100% at every workout you will reap the benefits.

I did a lot of pinch work including using a TTK and some hex blobs while on KTA but really no other grip work. I would say a little extra grip work can be tolerated for some but not a lot. Just give it a try and see how your body reacts. Just make sure you're healed and ready to give it your all.

Just wait until your hands are 100% and then give it a try. Being a beginner or veteran has no influence on if you're ready for KTA, it's all about your mental and physical toughness. You have to be ready to bring it, and you have to be ready for some pain. Everytime I've gone through a KTA cycle I've had duct tape and super glue plastered over my hands for most of the workouts because I always lose some skin in the palms of my hands and really superglue is the only thing that's helped enough to continue on the program. To succeed with KTA you need the correct mindset, if you are tough enough to get through the program and give 100% at every workout you will reap the benefits.

I did a lot of pinch work including using a TTK and some hex blobs while on KTA but really no other grip work. I would say a little extra grip work can be tolerated for some but not a lot. Just give it a try and see how your body reacts. Just make sure you're healed and ready to give it your all.

Yeah I'm definitely going to give it a try. I think I'm only going to include static holds on the pull up bar to keep my support strength up. But I have no problem sticking to programs and pushing through it when it gets tough. And hearing that I shouldn't do it or that I may not be ready to do it only makes me want to try and do it even more so. Even if I have to wait a few more weeks for my hands to completely heal than so be it, it will be well worth the benefits.