Getting Ready To Finnish Open 2009

Timo Tuukkanen

Today we ( myself, Jouni and Juha ) had some nice exercise with schedule and rules as should be at the Finnish Open 2009 contest... Plan was solve out what is todays shape ( 3weeks to contest ) for making some decisions for start weights and tactics... Video editing by Juha

You might wonder those sad attempts for ccs#3,5: contest organizer has decided that ccs closes would start from #3,5 and then down to #3->#2,5->#2, he thinks that in this order contestants don´t need to waste power for easier grippers...???

You might wonder those sad attempts for ccs#3,5: contest organizer has decided that ccs closes would start from #3,5 and then down to #3->#2,5->#2, he thinks that in this order contestants don´t need to waste power for easier grippers...???

I think that is a very bad idea. For most of us, working the easier grippers, or a little under the maximum to begin, is a good way of warming up. Trying to close something that you are not capable of closing seems like it would waste large amounts of power, and serve no purpose. I understand that there will be guys trying to certify at this contest. If they are trying to close 3.5 level of grippers prior to their certification attempt, they may not have enough available strength to successfully certify when they attempt the Number 3.

I think that is a very bad idea. For most of us, working the easier grippers, or a little under the maximum to begin, is a good way of warming up. Trying to close something that you are not capable of closing seems like it would waste large amounts of power, and serve no purpose. I understand that there will be guys trying to certify at this contest. If they are trying to close 3.5 level of grippers prior to their certification attempt, they may not have enough available strength to successfully certify when they attempt the Number 3.

Seems like you share my opinion... But what can we do, organizer will set the rules. There is always option to pass #3,5 and start with #3, BUT if you start with #3 and close it easily you can not try #3,5 anymore!

Just wondering: does the organizer even train Grip? Mike is spot on with his assessment and those rules seem rather silly IMO.

Does not unfortunately. But maybe one reason for this is that contest is broadcasted to most popular finnish TV-operators subchannel with very tight schedule so some compromises must be done i have been told.

Didn't think so.

Maybe you should urge all the competitors to voice their concerns or explain the way gripper training works to this organizer. I don't nor do I think you believe (from reading your posts) that quality of the competitors strength should be compromised when ridiculous rules that hurt competitors chances of winning or doing well are implemented. I'd never try closing my #3 before trying my #2.5 and so on.

BTW, good luck in the competition Timo!!! :rock

Just wondering: does the organizer even train Grip? Mike is spot on with his assessment and those rules seem rather silly IMO.

Does not unfortunately. But maybe one reason for this is that contest is broadcasted to most popular finnish TV-operators subchannel with very tight schedule so some compromises must be done i have been told.

That would explain it. I wouldn't try to fight it. If that were the case, and you were 100% certain you could not close the 3.5, I would just use a 90% effort on it, so it would effectively serve as a warm up.

It is great that you have a contest that may be broadcast on television in your country! I would accept the silly format and be appreciative that the sport gets that kind of exposure. Sounds fun!

That would explain it. I wouldn't try to fight it. If that were the case, and you were 100% certain you could not close the 3.5, I would just use a 90% effort on it, so it would effectively serve as a warm up.

It is great that you have a contest that may be broadcast on television in your country! I would accept the silly format and be appreciative that the sport gets that kind of exposure. Sounds fun!

Yep would be nice to have broadcasted competition, raises thrill to next level!!! About the format of CCS closes; of course it´s also possible to warm up with own gripper-set just before the contest

And thanks for cheering folks!!!

I wanted to come to the finish open, but unfortunately I can't make it. Hope to see the videos of this great event!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is video Finnish Open Grip Competition 2009

Video

Fantastic Video!

The auditorium looked like it had at least 200 people in attendance, probably more.

Congratulations on a well-run contest.

Video

Looks like a good contest. I think Finland should have a World Championship of Grip next year!

One question, doesn't the platform in front of the two hand pinch for the apparatus to rest on change the lift substantially? It stops any forward tilt at the start of the lift. Is this going to be the standard?

Also, it's very interesting that Janne missed 100kg on the Rolling Thunder and then lifted 215kg on the axle, easy. That surprises me.

Wade

Video

Looks like a good contest. I think Finland should have a World Championship of Grip next year!

One question, doesn't the platform in front of the two hand pinch for the apparatus to rest on change the lift substantially? It stops any forward tilt at the start of the lift. Is this going to be the standard?

Also, it's very interesting that Janne missed 100kg on the Rolling Thunder and then lifted 215kg on the axle, easy. That surprises me.

Wade

Thanks Wade.

It would be very nice if Finland gets the World Championship of Grip 2010! :cool

Competition organizer, Sakari Selkäinaho, works usually with Pro Powerlifting not with "Grip Power". I believe that next year everything goes better. :happy

2 HP Euro Pinch was real hard to lift because that platform distract the lift very much. I hope that wont be standard. :inno

Janne's 215kg DO axle pull is the new WORLD competition record. Not just the European record.

Here is the previous record-

;)

Give Janne the good news :)

Janne's 215kg DO axle pull is the new WORLD competition record. Not just the European record.

Here is the previous record-

;)

Give Janne the good news :)

Thanks for this info. I will tell it to Janne and all my Finnish grip friends! :mosher:mosher

Great competition! Congratulations!

Thanks!

Randall wrote about competition to IM website. It tells also about Janne Virtases new World Record on Apollon´s Axle. :yikes

Here : http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2009/Oct/Juha_Harju_Wins_Finnish_Open_Grip_Championships.html