Grip Work For Police

Guest WesMarden

Guest WesMarden

What exercises do you feel are most helpful for police work. I imagine it would be quite similar to a martial artist type situation as far as the demands, but I never really seriously trained grip for martial arts. My weightlifting came after I got out of martial arts. SO I need some reccomendations. I am going into police work.

Mostly lately I have been just messing around with my training, I will get serious at the first of the year. My grip work has never been super serious, except for awhile back in 99. ANd even then it was mostly just gripper and thick bar work.

I am actually fairly well equipped for grip work. I have an assortment of spring clamps, a pinch block, a titans telegraph key, roughly 2 in db handles, and of course the usual assortment of plates and bars. I also have the pieces of steel cut for a plate loaded gripper. And it ain't too hard to adapt a small plate for hub lifts. And can make more stuff.

I have been doing some clamp work and some plate wrist curls. But not seriously. I tried finger walking a plate and my dexterity just ain't there. I want some ideas about what areas need work and what you think are best for my situation. I also want to start powerlifting again, but grip strength has never been a problem for that.

Farmer's walking with sandbags, or juggling

a sandbag (tossing from hand to hand), or

using a pinch block adapted to fit a lat machine,

(for various angles of pull/restraint).

Thick bar hammer curls.

Or use a towel around the bar while lifting to

simulate grabbing clothing.

If you have access to a Nautilus pronator/

supinator-THAT is excellent for training the

wrist in various positions of rotation.

Totally agree w/Roark. I would focus on the pinch/thumb/wrist strength. Sandbag drills w/be excellent conditioning for defensive tactics. A lot of your (at least mine do) defensive tactics drills will focus on joint locks so getting the wrists strong and flexible will be important. A good crush grip would be very helpful for your handgun retention drills and the like. Good luck.

Guest sjeff70

I was a Security Police Officer for the US Air Force, 1993-1997. Since then I've been a Police Officer for the Department of Veteran's Affairs.

Thick-bar holds have served me well. I've had to grab some quick hands and arms in the last 10 years. Once you get a hold, you DO NOT want to have them break free. I totally agree with these guys that wrist strength is also very important. A hand, arm, or leg is not going to sit still while you try to hold and secure it. You will need a strong wrist that can withstand force in all directions.

Never underestimate an offender just because you think you have better strength. An offender always has the adrenaline advantage first.

Jeff

Wes,

This might be extreme, but it popped into my head while reading this thread. Towel chin ups. Not only will you be working your grip, but your whole arm at the same time! Just a suggestion...

Guest WesMarden

Thanks for the advice. as for chinups I have not done one since junior high, but I do agree it would probably be a good choice. I may try some bent over rows with towels around the bar as a susbtitute. I will think on how to integrate that to my regular lifting. I think at first I would do it as part of my grip work, then later as I get better maybe move it to my back work/deadlift day.

I just want to be the most capable I can be. I know there will be those out there who are stronger, faster, meaner, but I need to be as strong as I can to help things. I figure it will only help things to develop a reputation for strength. I want my customers to know I am very capable.

My pinch block would very easily adapt to a lat machine. It is a 2*4 with an eye bolt going through the wide side so that you grip across the "4" side. Thanks for the tip about the lat machine I had not thought about that. I have done some holds to my side, but not anything at odd angles.

I have worked in a county jail as a Deputy Sheriff for almost 3 years. Thick dumbbell and barbell training works wonders for allowing you to hold onto all but the most desperate people. I used the strength gained from training with my Apollon's Axle to good advantage in my judo classes and have never had an inmate escape from my grip. I believe that the gripper training has also made my grip that much harder to break. I also tear decks of cards occasionally, and do some infrequent steel bending. I think the card tearing develops unusual finger strength, which blends nicely with increased hand strength gained from thick barbells. The steel bending is what I would consider "functional" training for the wrists. Hope this helps Wes!

Ben Edwards

Wes,

See the squishy hubs thread in equipment for a interesting variation of the thick bar training that might be of some use for you!

Jon@han

Guest CalvinP

Along with your gain from grip work, it's nice to know how to use leverage hold. A crazy person can stand a blow to the face/body quite much, but a joint lock will submit him easily, as you know your strength can be limit, this knowledge of submission hold gives you that egde over someone who is very strong. Submission technique is something you should know like Jujitsu's, just in case. I mean human body has more than 50 joint to be manupilated to your advantage, grip power just comes handy as well :shifty:whistel

Guest WesMarden

My plans:

While I don't have every day worked out, in general I have the outline of what I am going to do. I will work my grip about 3-5 times a week, 3-4 being specific grip work, the other day or two being more back or arm days where the grip gets worked. I will do about 3 grip exercises in my grip workout. Each day being a different set of exercises. Yesterday I did Titan's telegraph key two different ways and then I did thick db leverage lifts. I figure that with the equipment I have I can probably do quite a few different routines so that I don't overtrain. Plus the volume is low each day. With maybe 9-12 moderate sets including all the warmups. As for reps, I can also vary those. So far I have done anywhere from 10-25 reps. 20-25 is on the gripper. Once I get my grip machine welded, I will be able to do heavier crushing workouts.