62 members have voted

1. 1. Which plate can you curl?

• 10 kg/25 lb
    • 15 kg/35 lb
    • 20 kg/45 lb
    • 50 lb
    • 25 kg/55 lb
    • more

I was pretty crappy at this exercise when I first tried it, couldn't even do a 25lb plate and had to use two 10lb plates. I'm currently working towards a 35lb plate curl, hope to hit a 45lb plate curl late in the new year.

Jon@han

I don't do plate curl very often. Maybe once every two months. I did a 35 for 3 reps about three weeks ago. Will shoot for a 45 as soon as I'm certified on the #3.

My best is 10 strict reps with an old Eleiko ironplate 15 kg on a seated preachercurl bench. My wrist was not dorsalflexed. My final goal is a strict plate curl with an Eleiko 20 kg plate on preacher bench.

I really don't do plate curls either. Last time I did, it was a 25 pound plate, but I suspect I can do more than that.

Who voted "more"?!? :bow

David Horne?

I have never done any plate curls or training for my wrist prior to about a month ago when I got my leverage bar. My wrist were/are relatively weak so I decided to do something about it.

I have done curl with a 10 kg plate for reps, then I did wrist curls with the same plate. Then I tried negatives with a 15 kg plate. After that I could do a plate curl with the 15 kg plate. My wrists seem to require more recovery than hands. They get overtrained so fast if I try to train every day or every other day. The best seems to be every 3 days.

I only know 4 members of the board who have done 44 pounds or 20 kilo plus. M. Daly, D. Horne, Nick McKinless and myself. There might be more - cough up and let us know.

Steve, you mean that you all are using a 20 kg iron plate? Not a 15 kg plate plus extra weight?

In my opinion is Gorilla Hands wrist too much dorsalflexed.

Just tried 35 lb with an Olympic plate for the first time, and was able to plate curl it with good form. I do not intend to do these on a regular basis, but was merely curious.

Steve, you mean that you all are using a 20 kg iron plate? Not a 15 kg plate plus extra weight?

Not using Arne - USED. In training I used a 15 kiklo plus weight until I could do more than 20 kilos. However, in the 2001 Iron Grip comp we all (not Nick - he has a pic in the grip gallery he sent in) used a 20 kilo disc at least for the competition.

When do you guys usually perform your plate curls? Do you like to do them on bicep day, or do you prefer to do them on a separate day altogether? Also, which version of plate curling do you feel is more effective and result producing, the standing plate curl or the plate wrist curl?

I trained for the plate curl (not the plate wrist curl) over 2 years ago for the 2001 iron Grip comp and did them once a week as part of my competition training. David normally has 6 lifts in each event and the most I train at once is 4. As the majority of grip lifts do not stress the body like squats (ie: aren't compound movements/multi joint) I'd treat them the same and do them on my Thursday workout (training Tu, Th and Sa).

So thats seperate and specific.

I do plate curls after my upperbody workout when I am warmed up. But I have also done them on my off days, doesnt really matter for me. Atm I do them only twice a week. I have had good results with both plate curling and wrist plate curling. Once you can do many reps with say a 10 kg plate in the plate curl, try wrist curling it. Since wrist curling is harder its a good in between thing between different plates.