Sand Bags

Guest mg6680

I've tried the seabag w/bags of sand in them and didnt like it. I'm looking for more of a large "flour bag". What would be a good bag to fill w/sand that will withstand abuse and not leak?

Thanks,

Morgan

Go to your local Army/Navy surplus store, and find some to your liking. They will have all shapes and sizes. Buy two of the same. Then put a garbage bag inside the two and fill. The two outer duffels will provide the strength you need. Take this advice from someone (me), who had an unfortunate accident with a sandbag and learned his lesson rather quickly. If you don't have any luck, IM me and I can get ya a bag for your training. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The Army Issue duffle bag is near indestructable, doesn't leak sand, and easily hold 200lbs of sand with enough room to tie the top shut. Then, to add weight, toss in some plates. (use a good cord to tie the weight to the bag before throwing it in, it greatly aids in plate retrieval.) :D

Sybersnott, what accident did you have? Is the single duff a bad idea? I could imagine the bag bursting open in my office and having to clean up 200lbs of sand... :ohmy

I read about using pea gravel. I might try it next. If you w/o indoors, sand is messing. No matter how careful you are it always seems to eventually leak! If you do use sand, get playground sand. It doesn't have micas the other sand has. Micas bad for your lungs.

You can put the sand in ziplock bags, (or something similar).

Make these in 1lb increments (or more) then duct tape the bags.

I know someone who did this sometime back and has not busted a bag yet. And it makes adding/subtracting weight a little easier.

I also saw this posted not too long ago on the OSST board, so some other people have also tried it.

The ziplock idea could be used with the peagravel to make adding/subtracting weight easier. I think when the weather is nicer I'm going to give this a try ...steel shot would be cost prohibitive compared to the pea gravel and wouldn't be as bulky as the pea as well.

Jon@han

• 4 weeks later...