Favorite Or Toughest To Beat Technique

astrojetred

Does anyone have a favorite technique? What do you call it? how do you do it? How do you defend against it? What is your hardest technique to beat?

Mainly I started this because I'm tired of looking at the same topics. I think it will be fun to talk about how to defend, and how to beat the different techniques people list. Big Fish stories are welcome, and stories about how badly you were beaten are welcome, too.

Let's see what we can get out of this, and hopefully we get to be a know it all and help someone :cool Always a plus.

I have been training with a 3 time latvian champion in the 75kg class for the last 6 weeks and as you can imagine, he has shown me so much. His move is the Top roll which seems to be very popular in latvia if you watch some of the youtube clips of their nationals...so thats the main move I have been learning too...I am 30kg heavier than him and he can hold me in any position for as long as he wants :blush I have never beaten alot of ppl in AW even though I have been bigger than most of my mates over the years but when I first learnt about pulling back and not just to the side I flashed a guy alot bigger than me, that felt good :dry Im still learning the basics so I cant really say to much about how to defend certain moves, all I know is that my biggest weakness right now is my cupping strength, something I am furiously working on :rock

I think the technique I'll mention for now is the hook. I think it is widely misunderstood. There is a lot more technique going on than one usually assumes. If you notice, a lot of top matches end up in a hook. And by top, I'm talking brzenk, Larratt status. Just look at some of those super matches those two have fought. A lot of it has been a battle inside. As for the toproll, or outside, it's definitely a beautiful area of technique, however, if often can end in a slip grip. People hit so hard in a toproll.

There is so much to a hook, I think, and I also think some people consider it a novice technique. I think it is a top level technique, hands down. I always here stories about people getting laid out by a hook, or not being strong enough to toproll this guys/girls hook, or not being able to beat this guys/girls hook.

I have only been beaten once, in "street" level armwrestling. It was a huge man, and he used a hook. I've been trying to armwrestle him for weeks, but I'm pretty sure he's afraid, because some guy half his size almost beat him, and I sat down with him and explained that he had developed a good hook, better than his, and that's why he couldn't win. He really hurt his arm in the match, and I hurt his other arm, trying to beat me as I instructed him.

My hook is better than his. I will destroy him at our next work meeting, and it will definitely be on youtube. UGH, I can wait, he's such a little baby! He's about 6'4" and over 300lb. I'm 6'3" and about 240lb. And yes, he works out everyday. Huge mexican guy.

Theres alot of top level top roll experts out there, think of Bagent and Liliev...there are also guys who can do it all, Larratt and John B. I think alot of it comes down to styles, some of it may come down to the ability to hit fast, as Larratt (from what some have said) does not hit especially fast compared to alot of the top guys, and John often looks like he wants to feel what ppl have before attempting a move...whereas from the little I know and have been told, a top roll is highly 'hit' dependant, not to say a hook isnt, it just maynot be as dependant for being successful...but hey Im certainly no expert and maybe talking just utter shit :blush At the end of the day, some hookers will beat a top roller and some top rollers will beat some hookers, and others can do it all no matter what style they come up against.

The weight thing is interesting, I dont think 60 pounds is as much an advantage when you are your size as compared to say someone of 60kg trying to AW someone who is 90kg, youre a big boy as he is....

Edited by verdigriz

Theres alot of top level top roll experts out there, think of Bagent and Liliev...there are also guys who can do it all, Larratt and John B. I think alot of it comes down to styles, some of it may come down to the ability to hit fast, as Larratt (from what some have said) does not hit especially fast compared to alot of the top guys, and John often looks like he wants to feel what ppl have before attempting a move...whereas from the little I know and have been told, a top roll is highly 'hit' dependant, not to say a hook isnt, it just maynot be as dependant for being successful...but hey Im certainly no expert and maybe talking just utter shit :blush At the end of the day, some hookers will beat a top roller and some top rollers will beat some hookers, and others can do it all no matter what style they come up against.

The weight thing is interesting, I don't think 60 pounds is as much an advantage when you are your size as compared to say someone of 60kg trying to AW someone who is 90kg, youre a big boy as he is....

We are both big, yes. And a fast hit is pretty much the only thing that travis has, right that is. Arsen Liliev murdered him. Arsens hit was a lighting bolt, compared to Travis, and he was way stronger.

By the way, this guy I want to AW talks crap all day long. That's all he does. Talks about how I'm going to cry, and how bad he's going to beat me. I told him that he has no idea how to lose, haha. This will be awesome.

I must say I do love to toproll and flash people, but the ultimate is crushing someone inside. The hardest thing for me to beat at this point is good back/up pressure. Tom Nelson's back pressure that he loads right before go straight up owns me at the moment.

I must say I do love to toproll and flash people, but the ultimate is crushing someone inside. The hardest thing for me to beat at this point is good back/up pressure. Tom Nelson's back pressure that he loads right before go straight up owns me at the moment.

Haha, Tom Nelson. I like when Brzenk beats him, and he says, "My goodness!" I bet he elbow fouls you? This is how to beat Tom Nelson,

and guess what technique it was? ;) You can hit with a hook. If he is loading up right at the start, that's perfect. That is like holding your fist up, before you punch someone. He's telegraphing. He can't hit you well, if he's loaded up. Take advantage of this, and twist his arm off in a hook.

This big guy told me that there is no way that he could beat me, when is used the hook, because he has to hurt his arm to defend it. He now thinks that the hook is "cheating." Ugh, I hate that attitude. Man up, and grow some.

Haha, Tom Nelson. I like when Brzenk beats him, and he says, "My goodness!" I bet he elbow fouls you? This is how to beat Tom Nelson,

and guess what technique it was? ;) You can hit with a hook. If he is loading up right at the start, that's perfect. That is like holding your fist up, before you punch someone. He's telegraphing. He can't hit you well, if he's loaded up. Take advantage of this, and twist his arm off in a hook.

This big guy told me that there is no way that he could beat me, when is used the hook, because he has to hurt his arm to defend it. He now thinks that the hook is "cheating." Ugh, I hate that attitude. Man up, and grow some.

LOL, he is armwrestling Giorgi Gelashvili...perhaps one of the best armwrestlers in the world. Have you ever armwrestled Tom? He lives in Sacramento and we train from time to time. Since you are in the bay area you should come up and practice with us. I would love to see you beat Tom in a hook. No one else on the team (CA Armbenders) can do it (actually maybe Randy Weaver right now right handed).

Edited by AFreeland

LOL, he is armwrestling Giorgi Gelashvili...perhaps one of the best armwrestlers in the world. Have you ever armwrestled Tom? He lives in Sacramento and we train from time to time. Since you are in the bay area you should come up and practice with us. I would love to see you beat Tom in a hook. No one else on the team (CA Armbenders) can do it (actually maybe Randy Weaver right now right handed).

Haha, I have not armwrestled Tom. I'm sure he's a beast, though. I have family in sac. Where so you guys train? I'd love to come pull, and get my ass handed to me!

Haha, I have not armwrestled Tom. I'm sure he's a beast, though. I have family in sac. Where so you guys train? I'd love to come pull, and get my ass handed to me!

We pull every Sunday in Rancho Cordova. Usually about 4-8 guys. Tom has large practices at his house every once in a while with the entire team (20-25 ppl) and the captain of the team (Mike McGraw) has a practice at his house in Turlock every 1-2 months. If you can make it we are headed to Turlock next saturday 09/19 to help Tom train for ROTN. That is a practice where you can really see where you stand in the armwrestling world, there will be 15 or so solid pros and 10-15 solid amatures there. You are more than welcome, if interested let me know and i'll send you the address in Sacramento for sundays or the address in turlock.

We pull every Sunday in Rancho Cordova. Usually about 4-8 guys. Tom has large practices at his house every once in a while with the entire team (20-25 ppl) and the captain of the team (Mike McGraw) has a practice at his house in Turlock every 1-2 months. If you can make it we are headed to Turlock next saturday 09/19 to help Tom train for ROTN. That is a practice where you can really see where you stand in the armwrestling world, there will be 15 or so solid pros and 10-15 solid amatures there. You are more than welcome, if interested let me know and i'll send you the address in Sacramento for sundays or the address in turlock.

Awesome. Sent you a message.

Check your message(s) yet, AFreeland?

Sorry it took so long. Check your PMs

Edited by AFreeland

• 2 weeks later...

Ahight brotha...gotta bust you up some :D . Is this still the way to beat Tom after armwrestling him yourself? After Sunday, I have to add Randy Weaver, Mike McGraw and Dave Wood to the list of people to OWN me with badas* back pressure. The more I learn...the more I learn that I have a long way to go :rock

Edited by AFreeland

Ahight brotha...gotta bust you up some :D . Is this still the way to beat Tom after armwrestling him yourself? After Sunday, I have to add Randy Weaver, Mike McGraw and Dave Wood to the list of people to OWN me with badas* back pressure. The more I learn...the more I learn that I have a long way to go :rock

You didn't see me beat him? Haha, totally. Tom's a BEAST, he's a funny guy, too. You have to start somewhere, you know. Just think about how beastly we'll be in a year, and then in ten years.

In all fairness to Tom, I do think he will be remembered more for the '' My goodness'' comment in AW than anything else, in saying that I wont be remembered at all so it cuts both ways..lol :rock

Edited by verdigriz