Gripper Injuries

Guest iron_addict

Guest iron_addict

has any one here ever had any type of injury from using the grippers. my left hand (the lower outer portion) has been killing me. its gotten to the point that it is intefering with my gym lifts. if any one has experienced any thing similiar what did you do to help with the pain. i have decided to temporarily cut out grip training with my left hand, but any thing else that could aid in the recovery process that any of you could tell me about would be greatly appreciated.

I blew-out a knuckle on my rt middle finger. This happened while doing strap holds about a year ago. The finger/knuckle is still larger than normal, stiff and always painfull.

mike m.

has any one here ever had any type of injury from using the grippers
The small finger on my left hand is sometimes sore immediately after a workout with the grippers but I've never had any lasting injury. I limit my grip work to twice a week and stick to low reps. How often do you work out using the grippers? What kind of rep range are you doing? Also, are you doing a lot of deadlifts and chinups? If the pain is from overuse just backing off for two weeks will give a substantial improvement.

Guest iron_addict

thanks for the replies guys. i have been working out with the grippers every other day. i'm still trying to close the number two. after a couple of warm up sets i give the number two a shot. then i do strap holds. i am no longer doing this with my left hand as the pain is too much. the pain also flares up when i benching. the pain is located in my lower palm just above the wrist on the pinky finger side of my hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Learned a trick from a powerlifter on the Bahrain Weightlifting & Bodybuilding Association’s Powerlifting Team (Shaikh Abdulla Bin Hamad) when I was working in Bahrain.

Powerlifter Mohd. Ali Yahyah after finishing all his snatches and cleans and heavy standing shoulder presses would wash his hands with hot water. Rub them hard and scrub with a foot scrubber or pumice stone to remove dead skin, blisters, and calluses. Rinse in cold water. Dry them and rub in olive oil or a simple hand lotion. I think the removal of dead skin and blistering areas may have done the trick for him.

I developed a similar pain, across the backs of my hands near the wrist, from bending, but the pain was the worst during gripper work outs.

For two weeks, I did minimal grip work and iced the backs of my hands twice a day until the pain went away. Since then, I haven't had the problem reoccur.

Rest.

Ice.

Elevation.

Compression.

It works! ;)

I would say that for most people to build and maintain a world class grip, means constant pain in the hand and or forearms. The training required pretty much ensures this.