Steel Slayer Bends

gumpster

I've been wanting to do a 6" & 7" bend for the new lists Eric made for some weeks now. I got my act together yesterday and killed a few bars.

I did a 7" carriage bolt first and it went down easy...a bit too easy I felt. This was marked as a 3/8" x 8" in the hardware store but it only measured 8.2mm on the shaft (on the threads it was about 1mm larger). I cut a bit off both ends to make it exactly 7". I did another 7" bend after my 6". Both 7" bars are on their way to Eric for calibration so I'll know just how much easier this was, if any.

For my 6" I used a locally purchased 5/16" x 6" Grade 2 bolt. This gave me a little trouble and took a few hits just to get a kink going. I was starting to get a little worried I'd fail but I managed to pull it out under 3 minutes.

7" bend #2 I used some HRS I purchased locally. It's not exactly round and measures between 8.2-9.2mm. I was getting a little worn out by the time I did this and the kink wasn't too bad but the crush ramps up nicely (used up a good bit of my 3 minutes on that).

Thought I'd post these to maybe help get any of you who were wanting to attempt some bends for the lists to go for it. :rock I have FBBC stock but seeing how I can't bend a Bastard yet my options were somewhat limited (7" x 1/4"square, 6" x 1/4" Grade 8, 6" x 1/4" square, or 6" x 5/16" Grade 2...I've bent all these months ago and felt they would calibrate lower than my locally purchased stock). You can bend virtually anything you can get your hands on for these lists and that's part of what drew me to giving it a shot. I'm not a "big steel" bender (yet) but these new lists allow anyone (male or female) to have their name on a list, if even for a little while. If you've been thinking it over and figured you can't bend anything worthwhile - think again. I will not be at all shocked or embarrassed to see that my bars calibrate 200lbs or more below the current guys on the lists.

My impressions on my first go round...

- 3 minutes goes by quick - it gets you motivated to hit it hard

- the wrap limitation isn't much of a limitation - my wraps are 4" x 22" thin suede and didn't feel any less effective than my normal doubles

- sending your bars to Eric for calibration is a slight inconvenience but well worth it if you're curious how your stock compares to other bends on the Steel Slayer's list or the list of calibrated stock here in the bending section (and you can slip in a couple extra bars of stuff you are wondering about or can't bend quite yet...I did)

Nice Bending, keep it up, you will get that Bastard if you keep trying. But it is not just bending the Bastard that is important, it is bending something within that range. And i have read Bastards rangefrom 440 to 515 lbs. So use the range as a goal, not the name of a pc of steel. Who knows, something you buy locally could still be just as tough as a Bastard.

Great way to look at it Perry. And as long as you know where you are now, it is easier to make progression. I'm glad to see this list getting some attention, i think it will keep catching on.

I agree the 1.25" wraps are not really a limitation at all.

Edited by Mike K

Thanks again for the endorsement, Perry!

You're right, so far everyone who has tried the 1 1/4" wraps agrees that they are plenty thick enough for protection and comfort.

Based on the bends you did a couple of months ago I would be willing to bet you have some pretty stout bastards.

And the "Steel Slayer" title you have at the beginning of your videos looks very cool! :rock

loved it! the title was badass too as Eric mentioned ... you have the Slayer lighting bolts on there :laugh

I bet that last bar will cal pretty high ... looks thick .... We all need to get to work! Congrats!!!

And the "Steel Slayer" title you have at the beginning of your videos looks very cool! :rock
loved it! the title was badass too as Eric mentioned ... you have the Slayer lighting bolts on there :laugh

Thanks guys! Yeah, when I first heard the Steel Slayer thing I immediately thought of the band. I went looking for a free font similar to their style. I was too lazy to put in a few seconds of a song over the title (maybe next time). :tongue

Thanks guys! Yeah, when I first heard the Steel Slayer thing I immediately thought of the band. I went looking for a free font similar to their style. I was too lazy to put in a few seconds of a song over the title (maybe next time). :tongue

Great bends gumpster, glad to see ya on the list.

Awesome Perry! Its good to know u are not only in great shape but with a huge degree of motivation!

U are almost g8 IEW:-)

Hope to see your name in the list soon)

Very impressive Bending Perry :rock Must be a slow boat from the Philippines for steel calibration. Thank you for the motivation :rock:rock

Thanks guys & yes Booyah, it's going to take a bit for the steel to get to Eric. I sent it the day after I did my bends - could arrive any day now.

Thanks guys & yes Booyah, it's going to take a bit for the steel to get to Eric. I sent it the day after I did my bends - could arrive any day now.

Just finished calibrating the cert portion of the steel! Time to add your name to the list, Perry!

dont worry Perry , the steal already arrived! LOL