Aw Training Series - Suggestions/questions

mightyjoe

Once a month or so I'm going to answer a question someone may have about

AW training. I can't answer everyone's but if a certain question comes up more than

once I'll probably give that question priority.

Also, if you have a suggestion for the series that you'd like to see covered, I'm open

to all suggestions relating to this series.

I'd like to THANK everyone for the positve feedback and your kind comments about the

video series. I appreciate it very much and it motivates me to make each video better

than the last.

Here's a list of some of the videos I'm going to cover in the near future: :)

Exercises for Pronation related to AW

Exercises for Supination related to AW

Develop a Powerful Lock

Strengthening the Wrist

How to Prevent Shoulder Injuries

Importance of Setting Goals in AW

Recovery for AW

Nutrition and AW

and so many more... ;)

Now, let me see some suggestions/questions!!!

Stay tuned and stay Strong!!!

Once a month or so I'm going to answer a question someone may have about

AW training. I can't answer everyone's but if a certain question comes up more than

once I'll probably give that question priority.

Also, if you have a suggestion for the series that you'd like to see covered, I'm open

to all suggestions relating to this series.

I'd like to THANK everyone for the positve feedback and your kind comments about the

video series. I appreciate it very much and it motivates me to make each video better

than the last.

Here's a list of some of the videos I'm going to cover in the near future: :)

Develop a Powerful Lock

Strengthening the Wrist

How to Prevent Shoulder Injuries

Importance of Setting Goals in AW

Recovery for AW

Nutrition and AW

and so many more... ;)

Now, let me see some suggestions/questions!!!

Stay tuned and stay Strong!!!

What are good gymnastic type exercises for armwrestling?

If you can hang on the ring one armed with your wrist cupped (bent nearly 90 degree) I am very impressed. Engin Terzi can hang on the barrel of a howitzer cannon one armed. That's like spooping a 150 lbs or so dumbell with 6" diameter handle up until your elbow bent 90 degree and hang it there.

1. exercises for hook

2.exercises for biceps

If you can hang on the ring one armed with your wrist cupped (bent nearly 90 degree) I am very impressed. Engin Terzi can hang on the barrel of a howitzer cannon one armed. That's like spooping a 150 lbs or so dumbell with 6" diameter handle up until your elbow bent 90 degree and hang it there.

Like a false grip? or gooseneck?

How about specifc tactics for counterin movements? Say I get taken into a hook and am terrible in the hook... how do I get out? Finger control, back pressure, etc, etc???

How about specifc tactics for counterin movements? Say I get taken into a hook and am terrible in the hook... how do I get out? Finger control, back pressure, etc, etc???
matt im no expert and joe can add to this but if you do lots of preacher curls and when the weight gets stuck from coming up flex your wrists goose necked and get it moving again do these with a weight you can get but not easy and they will help in a hook i had good luck with them one of my favorite exercises . at the set up when they try to take your hand they will be surprised to feel the strength in your hand from doing them then you have to wory about there speed start :D

Like a false grip? or gooseneck?

Yes it is. I can hang one armed, bent at 90 degree and straight wrist. But if my wrist is bent at 90 degree or so...forget it. I don't know any one who can do it personally, or I never saw it before. Though i saw Gary Ray scooped 110# dumbell the way I said for ...warm up! :(

How to Prevent Shoulder Injuries......why only shoulder??... homerus and wrist has the same probability to be injuried when we pull.

and what about wrong/dangerous positions at table??... feet position and body movements for Hook and TR

Recovery for AW....... VERY IMPORTANT!!!! How to treat soreness and pains graet idea

Nutrition and AW.......i would explain also how a Vegetarian/vegan (if you did not thought about it yet :p)

IMHO naturally...

bye!!

DON'T READ THE LAST POST !!! it was a wrong cut & paste... this is the good one... (sorry but I can not delete it... how can i do that??)

How to Prevent Shoulder Injuries......why only shoulder??... homerus and wrist has the same probability to be injuried when we pull.

Recovery for AW....... VERY IMPORTANT!!!! How to treat soreness and pains great idea!!

Nutrition and AW.......i would explain also how a Vegetarian/vegan can face their diet...(if you did not thought about it yet :p)

- - Suggestions:

- wrong/dangerous positions at table?? [could be in the "how to prevent xxx injuries"]

- Feet position and BODY movements for Hook and TR

- How to fight against other pulling technique... (as Matt wrote above)

If you want i can draw with CAD some equipment and put it on the gallery so available only for the board members ;)

bye!!

Bicio

Edited by bicio

Joe,

i'd be most interested in the following:

Develop a Powerful Lock

Recovery for AW

BUT your the teacher, show us what YOU feel is important.

This kind of chin work will have a strong caryover in a hook correct? No handed one arm chins?

http://www.beastskills.com/no%20hands.jpg

That is not what I have in mind. I am talking about having your palm on the bar while your wrist is bent as much as 90 degree. And your elbow also bent at 90 degree as in starting position. Extremely difficult. But remember it's only one many exercise you will need for AW. But since you asked about using gymnastic equipment that can carry over to AW, so that is 2 cents

Please post a picture of this because I can't visulize it thanks

Rico

Its pretty much the same exercise travis bagent says is the best single exercise for AW...its quite simple...put a chair under a pull up rack where you can have your palms facing each other..or neutral grip so called, then grab a hold of the handles and goosneck your wrists so they are in the fully contracted position of a wrist curl...then get into a position where your face is roughly around fist height and then let your feet hang off the chair while maintaining the gooseneck position of the wrists...

Yes it's kinda like that, except mine is hanging 1 armed. Since it's very hard to hang 1 armed, so I use progressive way to achieve this by using a barbell on the squat rack and do it the same principle. BY adding weight plates u can increase the load progressively. I am no where near my own body weight in term of load yet! Barbell also allows me to have some side pressure or tricep press with it after the initial wrist cupping

I think touching on countering different techniques will help a lot, as someone previously asked. Like the Hook. I had trouble with this, until I actually started training the hook. I began to understand it better, and ultimately learned how to defend against it, or just perform a better one against a novice strong hooker.

If you get stuck in a hook with someone, there's a few things you can do. One is called the "low hand top-roll," and Devon explains it well on his site. You basically attack the crap out of the bottom two fingers, which opens their hand, and eventually eases into a top roll. Another is to make sure your rotational strength is up to par (the spinning of your wrist,) as well as your lifting strength (the upward motion of your wrist.) Hit their fingers hard, and drag em over. There are a few more, but lastly, I think a good old hook can beat a hook, too.

Table time. Work at your hook. You'll understand it better, and how to defeat it.