Race To A Reverse Grade 8

jpmmkrahling

I figured we may as well start a seperate thread for this. We will have a race tp a 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 reverse style. It seems like there is a couple of us that are on the same level and a race always helps push things along.

My PR is a Grade 5 right now, and i think i have about 2 or 3 Grade 8's. I've never tried a reverse grade 8 but it is my goal for the Steel Slayer Showdown, so lets go.

Anyone can join, just post your best and your progress.

So i guess so far it is:

Mike K (me)

Perry

Darin

Hugo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• easyWeight

• jpmmkrahling

• gumpster

• Johnsson

I figured we may as well start a seperate thread for this. We will have a race tp a 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 reverse style. It seems like there is a couple of us that are on the same level and a race always helps push things along.

My PR is a Grade 5 right now, and i think i have about 2 or 3 Grade 8's. I've never tried a reverse grade 8 but it is my goal for the Steel Slayer Showdown, so lets go.

So i guess so far it is:

Mike K (me)

Perry

Darin

Hugo

I will jump in with a target bend of a 7" shiny bastard reverse, NLT Dec 09

Grade 8's suck - go straight to the Bastard or Red :D

Grade 8's suck - go straight to the Bastard or Red :D

I have only reverse bent one Grade 8 and that was with Climber and Frankyboy watching on Yahoo messenger. I got it done but had the worst cramp in arm after that.

Though I agree with what Chris said, I'm knocking on the door of the reverse 1/4" x 6" G8 and am hoping to get a full 40 degrees by the time of SSS; I'm at about 15-20 degrees of damage reverse right now.

Count me in.

I think the Red and Bastards are actually easier than those darn Grade 8s are - except for those nasty hard dark ones a while back maybe.

I've had some 1/4 square that was like a Grade 8 also.

Edited by climber511

The way they flex doesn't help none. I'm still trying to complete a 5.5" bend with one of my tough grade 8s (500 pounds @ 6"). I get to about 30 degrees and get shut down.

I think the Red and Bastards are actually easier than those darn Grade 8s are - except for those nasty hard dark ones a while back maybe.

I've had some 1/4 square that was like a Grade 8 also.

I don't know about the BASTARDS, but I'll agree with you that they're at least as difficult as a Red Nail.

Edited by easyWeight

I'm in and just like you Mike I only have 2 or 3 bolts left. I think this is something I can only "test" about once a month to see where I'm at. I'll just keep hitting my failed bar until I get it to 40deg.

I've only done one attempt and I got it to about 25deg. For me, the Red is way past a Grade 8 and the Bastard is well beyond that (both of those are still kicking my butt DO).

Wasnt to long ago that a grade 8 in any style was world class :D

Grade 8 reverse is still a superior bend one big long hit to counteract the spring will do alot of damage.

Good luck guys :D

I am in, but it will take 1-2 years I thing. My best is now 6mm x 7" "hard grade" rebar to 40deg in many sessions and hits with thin suede.

Interesting , lots of guys are here ...

Mike, i am in but i dont have any g8 bolts ...i need to ask my american friends to send me a couple of these . i wobbled one g8 doing reverse style(probably 1 mm) ...i may use this bar because it's almost at 180 deg,but for the challenge i need to use a new bolt. This month and probably the next month i may not do any bending training. so i think someone will wins this much sooner:-) best of luck guys!

Interesting , lots of guys are here ...

Mike, i am in but i dont have any g8 bolts ...i need to ask my american friends to send me a couple of these . i wobbled one g8 doing reverse style(probably 1 mm) ...i may use this bar because it's almost at 180 deg,but for the challenge i need to use a new bolt. This month and probably the next month i may not do any bending training. so i think someone will wins this much sooner:-) best of luck guys!

You already went through all of those? :blink I'm down to my last two G8s, one straight and one wobbled. If you don't have any in a couple weeks I'll pick some more up and send you another fistful :D I'm too poor to buy them right now though. It would be nice if Fastenal would sell them in bundles of less than 30!

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys on board are bending G8s DU?

Edited by easyWeight

I've never tried a Grade 8 DU, but since my DU has always trailed my reverse I think I'd barely get a wobble.

I've never tried DU, after the comp i need to add that to my training.

I've never tried a Grade 8 DU, but since my DU has always trailed my reverse I think I'd barely get a wobble.

I feel like my Reverse trails my DU also. I've attempted a G8 DU a few times. Last attempt was in IMPs and I managed to put a decent wobble in it. If my Reverse is truly stronger, then maybe I'll be able to manage a G8 in my double wraps.

Will send vid of reverse G8 when I get back into town. Recently started hiting reverse hard this past few months, along with slim style, Du and Heslep. I bent a few G8 in single leathers Reverse style(will tryIMP). Don't bend much DO anymore, and currently hitting some BIG braced PR's. Recovering from a sprained brachioradialus injury Right arm, so as soon as I feel better will post the braced PR and the reverse G8. Good luck to the rest of you!!!

So i guess so far it is:

Mike K (me)

Perry

Darin

Hugo

I will jump in with a target bend of a 7" shiny bastard reverse, NLT Dec 09

Adam, by December 2009, I predict you will be bending CUT shiny's Reverse style, let alone a 7"

Edited by naturalstrength

Darin, i send a couple of your g8 to a couple of friends, i probably bend half of the stock u send to me.

I wish i had more now but i like to "help" my brothers of steel.

Dont be rush i may not be bending in a couple of weeks(time off to improve my cardio etc).Thanks bro.

Edited by ewokhugo

Darin, i send a couple of your g8 to a couple of friends, i probably bend half of the stock u send to me.

I wish i had more now but i like to "help" my brothers of steel.

Dont be rush i may not be bending in a couple of weeks(time off to improve my cardio etc).Thanks bro.

No problem my man. I'll let you know when I get some though. I'm going to try to get a hold of some 7" G8s also, but so far what I've found are more than twice the price of the 6" ones. Not sure why.

I managed to take my wobbled G8 down to just a couple degrees shy of 40 in four solid hits in my double wraps (1.25" diam.) today. They were spread out though hitting it once really hard in between sets of bent rows. Using DO I never realized how much springiness there is in these suckers!

Edited by easyWeight

Great job Darin! :rock Now you know you can kill it with a bit more training. I hit my bolt yesterday a few times and it stayed right where it was - 25deg.

I managed to take my wobbled G8 down to just a couple degrees shy of 40 in four solid hits in my double wraps (1.25" diam.) today. They were spread out though hitting it once really hard in between sets of bent rows. Using DO I never realized how much springiness there is in these suckers!

Nice work Darin, your not far off at all. I'm thinking the next try you will kill it :rock

I did not get a chance to hit mine last night because i hurt myself doing a horse shoe first :angry: I may try and wrap it up tonight.

Thanks guys. That was my first attempt at a G8 so hopefully I'll kill it soon. I only have one straight G8 left though, but I will be getting more soon. It's just like gazza said a few posts back, take "one long hit" and it should move good. There is a definite spring in these things. I'm sure it flexed a good 1/4" on one hit and just sprang right back, lol! Hopefully, I'll kill this and then get it soon in IMPs as well.

Edited by easyWeight

Done, I just killed my Grade 8 x 1/4" x 6" to 42 degrees in 2 hits. I can not believe it. I did not ask my daughter to do a video because i really did not think i could do it. Now, do i do it again tomorrow night with my last one and get it on video OR calibrate it so i know where i stand for Eric's comp latter this month? Some advise PLEASE

It is a FNL bolt, but i do not have an exact calibration. Eric's list says 460 but he has some for the comp at 500. I really do not think it is at 500 but i would be happy with a 460 reverse!