Amount Of Strength Required To Tear A Phonebook?

anything

Compared to COC grippers, what will it take to tear a phonebook? Surely they come in different sizes, but I'm not that into details. So what will it take, COC #3 strength?

I wouldn't imagine that tearing a phone book and closing a gripper relate very much at all. It would seem to me that tearing a phone book is more wrist and thumb strength and technique. So I don't think a gripper is much of a guideline to go by. But hey, I don't close big grippers nor have I ever tried to rip a phone book so I'm sure other people can give a better answer than me.

Compared to COC grippers, what will it take to tear a phonebook? Surely they come in different sizes, but I'm not that into details. So what will it take, COC #3 strength?

Phonebook tearing is a totally different animal to grippers. One can close a #4 for reps and not manage to tear a modestly difficult phonebook. Conversely, one can rip the largest of phonebooks and be unable to close a #1. It's paradoxical I know, but don't ask me why.

Bill Nye "the science guy" can do it, if that helps to answer your question.

-Rex

Difficult phonebooks, torn legitimately, would be well out of the range of Bill Nye. Look at some of the the best phonebook rippers, particularly those torn by the likes of Adam Glass and such. I don't think you can classify Bill Nye in the same category. Sorry!!

-Rex

Difficult phonebooks, torn legitimately, would be well out of the range of Bill Nye. Look at some of the the best phonebook rippers, particularly those torn by the likes of Adam Glass and such. I don't think you can classify Bill Nye in the same category. Sorry!!

Thanks Carl

I would love to see Bill tear apart a Twin Cities Yellow page which is nearly 3 inches thick wrapped in duct tape wearing oven mitts in 10 seconds like I can. controversially i am sure he would love to see my spelling Bee results or report cards ;)

-Rex

Thanks Carl

I would love to see Bill tear apart a Twin Cities Yellow page which is nearly 3 inches thick wrapped in duct tape wearing oven mitts in 10 seconds like I can. controversially i am sure he would love to see my spelling Bee results or report cards ;)

...and what would they show Adam?

The whole brains/brawn argument is pretty tired these days, I know a lot of very talented strength athletes who are also very intelligent to boot, Frank for instance, Zach, Derek...and then there's Rex! ;) You'll always get a trend buck! ;) LOL :)

The whole brains/brawn argument is pretty tired these days, I know a lot of very talented strength athletes who are also very intelligent to boot, Frank for instance, Zach, Derek...and then there's Rex! ;)
Yeah! He's weak as shnormal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Not much

no relation..phone book tears are more grip "tricks" than techniques. Getting that said technique down will help anyone rip most phonebooks..

however phonebooks i'd say around 1000+pages take a little effort. I recently pulled a 1700 page phone book in half and it was much harder than the traditional throws you get on the front door.

no relation..phone book tears are more grip "tricks" than techniques. Getting that said technique down will help anyone rip most phonebooks..

however phonebooks i'd say around 1000+pages take a little effort. I recently pulled a 1700 page phone book in half and it was much harder than the traditional throws you get on the front door.

liar ... thats impossible ... maybe a gorilla could do that but not any human

liar ... thats impossible ... maybe a gorilla could do that but not any human

i can see how skinny twerps like you would think that lol :D

I used to rip them all the time and I was just closing the trainer.....as previously said, no relation. Adam from the mythbusters....the skinny redhead did a ton of them one episode.....does that tell you anything?????

I'm sure someone who can close the #4 COC is more likely to tear a phonebook in half versus someone who can only close the trainer, but thats not always true.

Hell if the power team can do it then anyone can. ;)

- Aaron

As of late, it seems the power teams have been doing their recruiting at McDonalds.

-Rex

Hell if the power team can do it then anyone can. ;)

- Aaron

As of late, it seems the power teams have been doing their recruiting at McDonalds.

-Rex

It's all because of the new Angus burgers. They're delish!

I have to agree with most on here. Thickness of book, composition of the paper (some of these new recycled ones are much easier) and technique are all different. I've gripped and ripped a St Louis yellow pages that was I believe 1800 pages and it was quite hard. Keep in mind that a gripper has to be done in one quick motion where as on a phone book or bending, you can take a 2 second breather and start where you left off.

If there was a "ratchet" gripper then maybe it might be slightly more comparable.

Anybody with reasonable strength can be taught to do decent phone books.

BTW, I'm only around 2.2ish on gripper closings.

I believe I read an interview with Dennis Rogers once and he said he couldn't close a #3 but he's extremely good at the ol books.

Hope this helps and by all means, go for it.

Tim