My Knuckles Hurt Too (the Actual Bones)

TheAugustKid

Everytime I squeeze my right hand just a litte hard, the actual bones of my knuckles hurt--mostly the ring and pinky fingers. What could this be due to? Overworking grippers? Should I take a rest? Has anyone else had this problem. How can I get rid of the pain?

I mean it's not gonna matter how strong my hand gets if my bones hurt and hold me back from being able to crush hard.

Guest Bullitt
Everytime I squeeze my right hand just a litte hard, the actual bones of my knuckles hurt--mostly the ring and pinky fingers. What could this be due to? Overworking grippers? Should I take a rest? Has anyone else had this problem. How can I get rid of the pain?

I mean it's not gonna matter how strong my hand gets if my bones hurt and hold me back from being able to crush hard.

It feels like the bones, but from personal experience i would say it is the tendons in the knuckles probably. rest up for a few days and try some contrast baths.

I made a post on this earlier. I don't know about you but my knuckles are tender at the sides, to the extent that if I move my fingers laterally about the knuckle the pain is eye watering. I've done extensors until I'm blue in the face and tried soaking. Interestingly I think the location is actually in the wrist and this is referred pain since dependant upon wrist position the pain varies.

Alright, you two, First, are you two slender? And second, is it cold where you are training/live? And third, is your job or other hobbies taxing on your joints? It may be arthritis. I've had buddies that get ache joints especially in the hands when it is cold, and they are slender. You may also have a deficiency. Make sure you are eating right, and drinking plenty of water. If you are pretty active, I would go with close to 96 oz of water a day. Just stay active, and you will soak it all up. And over training may be the problem. Switch up your frequency. I don't even train grip specifically anymore. But i still have gains with grip strength. I crush on my #2 every other day, when ever I walk by it, but it is only about one or two closes. If you are training it specifically, you need to experiment on frequency. Once a week, twice, three, four, etc. And yes, once a week is totally legitimate, depending on the person. I used to fluctuate my frequency, and I did do a once a week routine for about a month or two. Worked out pretty well, but then I switched it up.

I would ultimately suggest you see your doctor. If you do have arthritis, you may be progressing it to a horrible point. I had a music teacher who was a pianist. She had to wear braces on her hands at some times. That may be why she's a teacher, instead of a famous pianist.

Alright, you two, First, are you two slender? And second, is it cold where you are training/live? And third, is your job or other hobbies taxing on your joints? It may be arthritis. I've had buddies that get ache joints especially in the hands when it is cold, and they are slender. You may also have a deficiency. Make sure you are eating right, and drinking plenty of water. If you are pretty active, I would go with close to 96 oz of water a day. Just stay active, and you will soak it all up. And over training may be the problem. Switch up your frequency. I don't even train grip specifically anymore. But i still have gains with grip strength. I crush on my #2 every other day, when ever I walk by it, but it is only about one or two closes. If you are training it specifically, you need to experiment on frequency. Once a week, twice, three, four, etc. And yes, once a week is totally legitimate, depending on the person. I used to fluctuate my frequency, and I did do a once a week routine for about a month or two. Worked out pretty well, but then I switched it up.

I would ultimately suggest you see your doctor. If you do have arthritis, you may be progressing it to a horrible point. I had a music teacher who was a pianist. She had to wear braces on her hands at some times. That may be why she's a teacher, instead of a famous pianist.

First off yes I used to be slender. I'm not anymore. But i'm still small framed so I have tiny wrists and such. And no it's not cold, I'm working through the texas summer right now. And lastly I do bindery for a printing company which does require me to use my hands a lot. Yet nothing very taxing. Besides having to krimp the ends of the 100 + coil bound books. But that just makes my hand cramp up after awhile. So I don't know what else it could be.

I have the same problem. The areas around the knuckles are always throbbing and hurting me. I think it is because of all the typing I do. I am only 19 though, not sure if it is arthritis, but it sounds like you and me have similar problems.

I have the same problem. The areas around the knuckles are always throbbing and hurting me. I think it is because of all the typing I do. I am only 19 though, not sure if it is arthritis, but it sounds like you and me have similar problems.

Well see, mine only hurt when I squeeze my hand. Besides that I feel nothing.

No to all 3 I'm afraid! I think at some point I may have strained them and they just haven't settled down. Also I think there's some referred nerve pain from either wrist, elbow or shoulder going on. Time, and consultant, will tell.

Like I said, you all need to check with your doctor. These are all just possible causes of the pain. If you don't have a doctor, then try checking your local medical clinic. There are programs that you can apply for that give you limited free health care for that specific clinic.

Being slender does not contribute to arthritis. Arthritis is an inflamatory process leading to continued cartillage deterioration and abnormal bone repair. This causes pain, cathching, crepitus, etc. Cold can irritate arthritis but what he is experiencing sounds more like normal tendon pain from training grippers. As previously stated, rest and contrast baths. If it doesn't get better see your primary care physician for an assessment and possible further studies.

--calvin

Being slender does not contribute to arthritis. Arthritis is an inflamatory process leading to continued cartillage deterioration and abnormal bone repair. This causes pain, cathching, crepitus, etc. Cold can irritate arthritis but what he is experiencing sounds more like normal tendon pain from training grippers. As previously stated, rest and contrast baths. If it doesn't get better see your primary care physician for an assessment and possible further studies.

--calvin

this guy is the closest because he used the word "cartilage" in his post; its cartilage in the wrist (damage), a few days to a week rest is the only answer. and then dont push too far in future or you'll be repeating the weeks rest.

Edited by acid

@tchcalvin, He was slender, so he got cold faster. I wasn't implying slender people are prone to arthritis. @Acid, Maybe I should start using bigger words. haha

Don't do ANY grip work for a few weeks. I had strained tendons on my left wrist that took maybe 4 weeks or more to clear up.