Devon Doing Preacher Curls...

Matt Brouse

I don't do preacher curls like that but he used the same concept in some of his earlier vids (deadlift wrist curls, dead lift strap hammer curls, etc..) and I do band curls and band hammer curls on my table in the same manner (locked arm moving through a plane). He's got a great rotator/suppinator exercise on one of the vids too. I think he has the best stuff out there for actual gym training that applies to AW.

Yeah, I tried it and did 45KG but only for one difficult rep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCaY8nxHlZI

Despite what that idiot (the latest youtube poster on my vid) said, they are great and you can really feel the weight trying to open your arm up. And if Devon does them...

Edited by thearm95

MATT looks like a good concept but it will only build strength in that lock position if he gets pulled out he is in trouble and he is a great armwrestler but not the worlds best there have been several way back before youtube and tv footage and even now i have to say richard lupkes is just now getting his dues and there are several others who quit due to no exposer and compititions to keep them going lack of money and no sponsors :blush

Good lift Duncan... I think I like the dynamic nature of it. You're locking that position but due to the movement there seems to be great volatility in trying to pull your arm open. I'm going to try it.

And I gave that tard a thumbs down! Haha!

You can set the videos to not allow comments, prevents aneurysms...

Dan - I agree - but nevertheless the armlock curl seems to be a very good exercise to do as part of a rounded program including conventional full ROM curls, pullups, partials etc

Good lift Duncan... I think I like the dynamic nature of it. You're locking that position but due to the movement there seems to be great volatility in trying to pull your arm open. I'm going to try it.

And I gave that tard a thumbs down! Haha!

You can set the videos to not allow comments, prevents aneurysms...

thanks Matt - they are harder than I expected. I was expecting to be able to do a similar weight to my table top curl and couldn't. Also I reckon they are just as demanding on the wrist as they are on the elbow.

The comment wasn't worthy of a reply so of course I didn't. There are so many dumb-ass comments everywhere on youtube that one just comes to expect it from time to time.

MATT looks like a good concept but it will only build strength in that lock position if he gets pulled out he is in trouble and he is a great armwrestler but not the worlds best there have been several way back before youtube and tv footage and even now i have to say richard lupkes is just now getting his dues and there are several others who quit due to no exposer and compititions to keep them going lack of money and no sponsors :blush

Hi Dan, Are refering to Devon not being the best out there at the moment? If so I beg you pardon, but I think Devon is the very best right now. Until somone comes along to disprove it. I did the same thing to Gary Ray in Houston in Devon video where he let guys use 2 hands on his arm (one elbow is on the table, while another hand is free to grap it) and he still beat them. Gary could not sustain my pull with 2 hands the same fashion, I meant I beat him right away. But in Devon video all of the guys i have to say is stronger than me and yet they could not bring him down 2 hands . Who is Gary Ray? you can youtube him and find down. BTW, Gary was once good enough to beat Cleve Dean by making him foul out (left hand)

Hi Dan, Are refering to Devon not being the best out there at the moment? If so I beg you pardon, but I think Devon is the very best right now. Until somone comes along to disprove it. I did the same thing to Gary Ray in Houston in Devon video where he let guys use 2 hands on his arm (one elbow is on the table, while another hand is free to grap it) and he still beat them. Gary could not sustain my pull with 2 hands the same fashion, I meant I beat him right away. But in Devon video all of the guys i have to say is stronger than me and yet they could not bring him down 2 hands . Who is Gary Ray? you can youtube him and find down. BTW, Gary was once good enough to beat Cleve Dean by making him foul out (left hand)

no im not trying to take anything away from the guy at the moment maybe he is but moments dont last long and some one else steps in right away john brzenk has held it for the longest and did the most for the sport but he was one of the youngest to do so and armwrestled all the oldtimers and is still going strong sure i know who gary ray is i use to armwrestle in the 70s & 80s steve stanaway roy ridgley big jim northern mad dog dave patton Juan Hughes robert coan

back then it was in malls no coverage maybe channel 10 when they started out not to popular and if someone is good at a static hold it is very hard to bend there arm down we use to do that too when your a hevy weight and you train with lighter guys thats the only way you make progress we also had 3 innertubed mounted pulling your arm to the table we would grab one and a hand and try to pin it for extra workload good luck in your next contest

Fair enough Dan.

About isometric IMO, there are different kind of isometric. The old way was to pull or push against an immovable object aka Charles Atlat's (spelling?) way. But the way Devon did was different thanwhat people may think. Since you know about the old way, let me explain why it differs IMO. Old way, when you hold against a immovable bar, basicly you just lock in for time because you're not going any where, right? In this way, the neuron's signal from the arm is almost unchanged in you brain, therfore very little stimulus signal going up and down. But if you lock and rock your body/arm like Devon unknowingly did, you have the benefit of both dynamic stimulus and isometric tagging along.

Take a dumbell and lean down like Devon with bench or no bench, as you rock back up you can feel the weight/resistant change with the angle or the forearm. I m sure if you can connect a wire to the muscle to observe the electrical signal from the muscle, you probaly see the signal going up and down, just like in dynamic movement. So you still has thye benefit of dynamic (rocking motion) motion and the locking power of isometric. YOur brain and neuvous system doesn't care how the signal change it just respond to it.

Now, if you hook it to a rubber band like you said you did. IMHO, its ' even better. As you rock back and stretch the band out neuron signal will peak quite high quickly too. Though the elbow angle did not change but the resistant change with stretching the band. I called this "VARIABLE ISOMETRIC" because the band varies in strength with distance stretched. You heard it here from me "variable isometric"

It's just a freakin great concept for AW training. So much better than the typical advice of doing partials and a great way to train your lock with variable resistance, especially for newbies who sometimes don't even grasp the concept of a lock and are still wanting to curl and/or just get opened up right away at practice.

Try this Jad: hang a dumbell to ur wrist via strap then hold a strong band in ur hand, in AW position try to lock and rock away, it feels a lot like a strong human pull against you. U can reverse them too, like band to wrist and dumbell/cable in hand. U can switch from side pressure to hook just by turning the body. I use 3 heights: low, med and hi. USE Same principle of variable isometric with it

Only 2 notes...

1) Did you note the way Devon bend his wrist?

It goes more bent went he goes down and come back to straight position when shoulders comes UP.

What kind of advantages could bring this type of movement??

2) At the end of the videos Devon changes the movement... he apply also a pronation movement that he doesn't do

in the first two cycle....

My question is.... if the pronation movement is weaker than the wrist bending in general.... why do it at the end??

Thanks for answer me... :D

Bicio