• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rico300zx

• The Natural

• climber511

• gunnar

I would say rep's with a 10 is getin there there are some freak's on this boared doing 20lb's they know who they are. I have a loadable lever I do 12 for some rep's I love this exercise keep up the good work. :D

It's not about what others are doing as much as you making personal progress - keep up the good work!

It's not about what others are doing as much as you making personal progress - keep up the good work!
VERY TRUE !!!!!!!

A *strict* lever with a 12, where the wrist never drops below the elbow, is decent by grip guy standards (an 8 would stop most men who don't lift weights or train grip). A 16 is very good by grip guy standards. A 20 is excellent. I'd put "world class" around the 25 pound mark.

Also, let me add that the bottom of the hand needs to only be 31" from the bottom of the hammer head. I didn't realize this. Don't let the hammer nerds beat you on hammers because you're using a longer handle than you need to.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

i would say a strict 'nose' lever with anything over a 14lb is stuff of legends (depending on length of handle of course)

lever is a bit vague, i do front, back, in-side, out-side and nose levers. a 'nose' lever being the classic working men's party trick/show of bravado. where the hammer head is lowered slowly to the face (& back up).

Edited by judoboy

i would say a strict 'nose' lever with anything over a 14lb is stuff of legends (depending on length of handle of course)

Hahaha, eeerr...There are many people on this board who can lever a 16 in strict fashion. Aaron C, Eric, Paul Knight, Bob L., Josh Dale, Wade, probably many I'm forgetting. "Legend" seems more appropriate for someone like Slim.

-Rex

A *strict* lever with a 12, where the wrist never drops below the elbow, is decent by grip guy standards (an 8 would stop most men who don't lift weights or train grip). A 16 is very good by grip guy standards. A 20 is excellent. I'd put "world class" around the 25 pound mark.

Also, let me add that the bottom of the hand needs to only be 31" from the bottom of the hammer head. I didn't realize this. Don't let the hammer nerds beat you on hammers because you're using a longer handle than you need to.

-Rex

Rex, I know I've scene the thing about shortening the handles in other places. I was wondering where you got that info?

brent

Hahaha, eeerr...There are many people on this board who can lever a 16 in strict fashion. Aaron C, Eric, Paul Knight, Bob L., Josh Dale, Wade, probably many I'm forgetting. "Legend" seems more appropriate for someone like Slim.

-Rex

fair comments, but i still say that a 16lb lever is slightly more than 'decent'.

Climber

I m always concerned what the other guys are doing and I try to strive for that net level, it gives me something to shoot for. I took my sledge with me on vacation I had some really cool workouts with it. Hopefully ill get to move that 20 pounder someday soon too.

Rico

Climber

I m always concerned what the other guys are doing and I try to strive for that net level, it gives me something to shoot for. I took my sledge with me on vacation I had some really cool workouts with it. Hopefully ill get to move that 20 pounder someday soon too.

Rico

-Rex

Rex, I know I've scene the thing about shortening the handles in other places. I was wondering where you got that info?

brent

I got the info from Bob Lipinski who says that 31" is the length that Slim the Hammerman used. So for those who want to compare themselves to him, 31" has become the "slim standard".

-Rex

The whole handle length thing is a little confusing as it depends ,,,,,, sort of. Let's just say that all hammer handles start out the same length - they don't but! Then if you stand the hammer up - the length from floor to handle end would be equal for all hammers but the typical way of measuring from the closest part of the head to the handle end will be different for each weight and sized head. So smaller hammers end up with longer measuring handles. Lost yet? Anyway - it seems as if historically, handles were called 31" (ala Slim) - seeing as how I have no idea exactly what sized head was used or if there were other variables in the way things were measured then - I simply don't know the complete answer. I have purchased several hammers and have found different length handles when measured in either manner - overall or to the closest part of the head. I think to really figure it out - the measurement should probably be from the center of the mass (head) to the end of the handle to be consistent in inch pounds or whatever. Way too complicated for a country boy!

I am shocked that our buddy John "Mr. Wrists" Eaton hasn't thrown at least two cents in on the subject of sledgehammer stunts. John can be overly modest at times but he has done some of the heaviest and strictist levering I have ever witnessed or even heard of. His sledge work is noteworthy enough he should be able to give you some good pointers and something to shoot for. Damn Showoff , I love the guy! lol :laugh

Edited by GatorGrip

This is the strictest 20lb lever I have ever seen. Some big ugly bloke showing off. :D

Wow that was a 20lb er and he measured it to be 32inchs! nice stuff :cool

16 is what I've always considered as a solid goal. I see it as a #3 close or a 5 10's lift. It's something that practically anybody can do with some focused effort.

16 is what I've always considered as a solid goal. I see it as a #3 close or a 5 10's lift. It's something that practically anybody can do with some focused effort.

I m not so sure about that. It takes upper body mass for this feat. And if you don't have it you can't do it. Unless u have a KTA. For sledge levering. This is also a lift that I've never really seen anyone get better at. I think anyone could train to do an 8lb mosty construction guys included but not a 15lb.

Rico

I m not so sure about that. It takes upper body mass for this feat. And if you don't have it you can't do it. Unless u have a KTA. For sledge levering. This is also a lift that I've never really seen anyone get better at. I think anyone could train to do an 8lb mosty construction guys included but not a 15lb.

Rico

I have gotten much better. you just have to work it. it is harder than some lifts given the weight jumps of hammers. I just put tape down the handle of the next size up and choked up on it less and less as time went on. when I started I could do my 10# choked up some. now I rep my 12# at the end of my wrist workout. I need to get a 16#. I know that Zach has gotten better as well. It also seems, to me anyway, to be as much about shoulder and arm stability as wrist strength.

Rico

Rico - I don't know what a KTA is but I don't agree - I know many of us have bettered our results from contest to contest over time - and Zach and I at least don't have "mass" to work with - upper or lower body. :) I'll have a very strict sledge lever competition set up at Gripmas - and I will guess it will take 20+ to win it if the regular guys show up. In the open and lightweight classes - 16# will be lucky to even be in the top 3.

Climber

Could you post a foto or video of the strict setup your refering to id like to see it so I can try it at home and you guys can judge me.

Rico

Everyone who is here let's weigh in on what sledge you started at and where you are now then and how long you've worked at it. I'm really curious about this.

Rico

Everyone who is here let's weigh in on what sledge you started at and where you are now then and how long you've worked at it. I'm really curious about this.

Rico

I started with a 12, went up to 16 just from training other events in grip. In Feb. I started training sledge levers for the SOH '09 in April. So from Feb to August I went from a 16 to a 20.

-Rex

It also seems, to me anyway, to be as much about shoulder and arm stability as wrist strength.

This is true. Building up bicep, tricep, and shoulder strength is very important. This is just another example of why people who train for strength in general do much better at grip than those who do not use a general free weight program.

-Rex

Yes indeed. Arm and shoulder strength/stability is very important. Just holding a 20lb hammer out straight is a workout for most.

I started with a pretty easy 10lb lever and progressed slowly to a 12lber. I started training it seriously awhile back and went from a sloppy 12 to a super strict 16. At that point, I started using heavier weights for the hell of it and got up to a reletively strict 20 lever pretty quick. I'm hovering around 20lbs freestanding and a bit more when my arm is braced on a platform.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

from what I remember from MGC 08...I did a lot more weight with my arm on a platform than I had freestanding. but, I also take a week off before a comp so, that might have been responsible for the big jump to.