Aw Training Series - Finger Pressure

mightyjoe

Here's the video on "Finger Pressure"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUp42WLzbbA

Can't emphasize enough how important finger pressure is

to AW strength.

This is one link to the chain.

Stay tuned for many more tips/exercises. ;)

Live to Arm Wrestle!!!

Once again Joe...awesome info and super clear :rock

Great video. I'm going to have to find some ways to train for finger pressure. Don't have the equipment suggested, but I'm sure I can rig up something similar. So I guess when arm wrestling, you want to press your fingers into the opponents hand as hard as you can? I'm not sure I understand completely from the video but what's the benefit of having good finger pressure? Does it give you a good base or good leverage to do different techniques like the top roll or is it something else?

I have to agree, it is very clear of what he tried to express. Good job Joe

I tried last week to hang on a 2"x2" cross bar with my bodyweight. I can really feel it on my fingers and I weigh only 154lbs. Also last week, I used the barbell that rested on the squat rack at my shoulder level, then I stood on one side with my wrist cupped, I try to lift the other end up by pulling this end down . I started with just the bar and gradually add weight plates to it. I got only 30lbs on one side plus some of the bar weight. Since the bar is long I have no idea much torques it was on my hand. Cupped hand and bent wrist that is! I will try with straigh wrist tomorrow to see how much max I can do.

I bought a piece of 2x4 a while back and grabbed a foam leg rest thing of an old bench I have. Cut it and put it around the 2x4 so basically it's almost flat with a slight curve and it is kinda squishy like a hand. And I screwed some J hooks in the sides and attached chain to it. So it rotates freely like its trying to open your hand up when you pull down on it. So you really have to lock the wrist and put a lot of finger pressure on it to keep it where you want it.

I like to do wrist curls on it and holds.....a lot of fun. I think the rotation it has makes it that much better for armwrestling. And the foam padding I placed around it, acts as like a muscle activator. It felt more real with the foam on than with it off, and I feel like I got more out of it. Its almost like a secret weapon........

Great video Joe. I was under the same impression that grippers don't have a big carryover to AW, but flat finger stuff and thickbars are much more benefitial for it!

i trained specifically for finger pressure last night (see my log) and i was amazed on how it affected my whole lower arm. the belly of my forearm was insanely pumped to the point where i couldn't continue. awesome :)

Anyone able to answer my question?

Great video. I'm going to have to find some ways to train for finger pressure. Don't have the equipment suggested, but I'm sure I can rig up something similar. So I guess when arm wrestling, you want to press your fingers into the opponents hand as hard as you can? I'm not sure I understand completely from the video but what's the benefit of having good finger pressure? Does it give you a good base or good leverage to do different techniques like the top roll or is it something else?

Anyone able to answer my question?

In short, "hand control". Especially when your opponent tries to top roll you.

It takes finger pressure to stop his top roll. Also to prevent someone from

rolling out on your hand after you've got them in a hook.

If your an inside puller it's important for your set-up.

I can give more detail if necessary. Re-watch "Technique part 2" and see if

you can see why finger pressure is important.

Hope this answers your question.

In short, "hand control". Especially when your opponent tries to top roll you.

It takes finger pressure to stop his top roll. Also to prevent someone from

rolling out on your hand after you've got them in a hook.

If your an inside puller it's important for your set-up.

I can give more detail if necessary. Re-watch "Technique part 2" and see if

you can see why finger pressure is important.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Seems quite obvious to me now lol.