Total Newbie To Bending And Grips

mohamedm3

Hi guys. I'm totally new to bending steel and grippers. I'm 20 years old and have been working out for the past 2.5 years. my deadlift is 400lbs now. The point is i've been doing some research and have found lots of sites giving exercises to do but not stating the volume or the frequency. I was wondering if any of you can give me pointers, directions or a routine that i can do to be able to bend steel, rip phone books, have a crushing grip. the only problem is i cant affort kettlebells they're too expensive. also i cant have COC grippers till january. Thanks.

Hi guys. I'm totally new to bending steel and grippers. I'm 20 years old and have been working out for the past 2.5 years. my deadlift is 400lbs now. The point is i've been doing some research and have found lots of sites giving exercises to do but not stating the volume or the frequency. I was wondering if any of you can give me pointers, directions or a routine that i can do to be able to bend steel, rip phone books, have a crushing grip. the only problem is i cant affort kettlebells they're too expensive. also i cant have COC grippers till january. Thanks.

the best thing is keep lifting three days a week and working in grip and bending, watch everyones videos and read all the articles and stick with it you will see progress. as for card tearing go get some 50cent cards at the dollar store and take as many cards out needed for you to tear them do that every week and start adding cards you will soon be tearing over a whole deck . as for bending get some rod and nails at home depot and start, even if it does not bend at first you will be getting stronger and when you dont expect it you will bend it easy good luck training

Go to a hardware store and pick up some 60D nails 1/4" x 6" long and some timber spikes 3/8" x 12" and have at it. Find some used leather some place and cut it to size to use for padding against the point and head. The scrap bin at tandy leather is great for this, thin suede seems to work very well. This is a good test of unbraced (using only hands) and braced (bracing against other parts of the body) bending and it is pretty cheap and easy to obtain the stuff quickly if that is what you are after. Try it out and let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

This website is a great place to start if you are looking for more information and technique descriptions gripfaq and of course researching and reading old threads and stickies on this forum itself.

This thread is great for progression information on bending stock once you see where you are at with the nails I suggested http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10343

Go to a hardware store and pick up some 60D nails 1/4" x 6" long and some timber spikes 3/8" x 12" and have at it. Find some used leather some place and cut it to size to use for padding against the point and head. The scrap bin at tandy leather is great for this, thin suede seems to work very well. This is a good test of unbraced (using only hands) and braced (bracing against other parts of the body) bending and it is pretty cheap and easy to obtain the stuff quickly if that is what you are after. Try it out and let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

This website is a great place to start if you are looking for more information and technique descriptions gripfaq and of course researching and reading old threads and stickies on this forum itself.

This thread is great for progression information on bending stock once you see where you are at with the nails I suggested http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10343

Yup, Tim is right on. I would also suggest Tandy leather's "Suede Trim Piece" for wraps. It's perfect thin suede, and comes in a 12'' x 8'' size so you can cut it in half longways to make 2 4'' x 12'' wraps. You can find this at Michaels craft stores and Hobby Lobby, as well as JoAnn Fabric outlets. Good luck!! :rock

one simple problem i live in Egypt and over here we dont have names for nails. it's just nails you get offered a bunch of them and you get to choose. but i'll try to figure something out. Thanks anyway.

play around with a sledgehammer - it will help build strength in your lower arm. bending is cool - welcome to this crazy hobby.

one simple problem i live in Egypt and over here we dont have names for nails. it's just nails you get offered a bunch of them and you get to choose. but i'll try to figure something out. Thanks anyway.
60D nails 1/4" x 6" long and some timber spikes 3/8" x 12"

Just go by the dimensions. David Horne also made up a simple standard to metric conversion table for most of the common bending sizes.

Imperial and Metric conversions

1/16" = 0.062 5 inch = 1.587 5 millimeter

1/8" = 0.125 inch = 3.175 millimeter

3/16" = 0.187 5 inch = 4.762 5 millimeter

¼" = 0.25 inch = 6.35 millimeter

5/16" = 0.312 5 inch = 7.937 5 millimeter

3/8" = 0.375 inch = 9.525 millimeter

7/16" = 0.437 5 inch = 11.112 5 millimeter

½" = 0.5 inch = 12.7 millimeter

9/16" = 0.562 5 inch = 14.287 5 millimeter

5/8" = 0.625 inch = 15.875 millimeter

11/16" = 0.687 5 inch = 17.462 5 millimeter