Attempt At A 5/8'' Handled Bbe

CoC#3

Close brother! :rock

Do the 5/8" handles feel different in your hands or about the same with a filed close feel?

I'm speaking for myself, but they really feel different. For me, it "sits" better in the sweet spot because in a way, the smaller handles makes it seem like my thumb pad is bigger. Also I have found them easier to set than regular grippers and despite having a normal spread on the inside of the handle, it feels narrow on the outside because the handles are thin. Overall, these are a dream for my 7-5/8" hand size. I can't say enough good things. The knurling is SHAAAARP. I think the BTR feels "more BTR" than my filed grippers. Maybe the size of the handles amounts to more ROM than the filing I have personally done.

Dang, real strong attempt Sam! :rock

My 5/8" BBE calibrated at 190 or some garbage. I think it will go in the 180s once it seasons with oil and a little use. It seemed stiff and creaky despite getting oil when I calibrated.

Thanks!!

These grippers are definitely better for BTR but are easier to set. 190 sounds high, i thought it was a fairly smooth gripper and i haven't oiled/used it much it yet.

Thanks!!

These grippers are definitely better for BTR but are easier to set. 190 sounds high, i thought it was a fairly smooth gripper and i haven't oiled/used it much it yet.

Yeah I agree, that's why I think mine will season down if I ever get around to using it. My others are very smooth, it was just the BBE.

NICE! Great work, Sam! :rock

190 does sound high ... the one I have feels about like the MM2 ... I've got it shut w/my left, so mine has to be alot easier than yours Sam ... and Matt

That actually sounds like an awesome gripper, Paul.

I'll work mine over and calibrate it again. I think Luke's 5/8" BBE was 180-somthing as well.

I just calibrated mine again and figured out two problems I was having with these 5/8" grippers:

1) My phenolic insert to my calibrator was not tight enough so the gripper was allowed to tilt a very little bit, which probably affected the number.

2) Since the gripper is closing farther, the skew is greater. I had the gripper basically closing over the top of itself, where if it were in your hand you'd be grinding the handles.

After making these corrections, I got 182.63.

Uhh, and this was probably the wrong thread for that report so, also, GREAT JOB SAM! :rock

I just calibrated mine again and figured out two problems I was having with these 5/8" grippers:

1) My phenolic insert to my calibrator was not tight enough so the gripper was allowed to tilt a very little bit, which probably affected the number.

2) Since the gripper is closing farther, the skew is greater. I had the gripper basically closing over the top of itself, where if it were in your hand you'd be grinding the handles.

After making these corrections, I got 182.63.

Uhh, and this was probably the wrong thread for that report so, also, GREAT JOB SAM! :rock

Sounds about right!