Can Anyone Help Me With My Routine?

madknight

Hey guys, I hope this post is in the right spot on these forums (if not move it wherever) and that this post isn't too long or messy for you guys.

I'm pretty new to gripping so my routine probably isn't the best. You can read my into on the page 80 (currently last page) of the "Newbies post here" thread near the bottom. I wanted to get more serious with my routine and since I have access to a gym now, I am able to get into a few more things. I would like your guys help in developing a new routine that fits into my goals:

- close the HG250 gripper

- develop a good foundational all around grip strength to later build on so I can move on to other feats besides closing a new gripper (though I will always like that :D )

My routine goes as follows:

HG150 - 5 attempts each hand and 5 inverted attempts each hand *rest 1 minute between each rep*

HG200 - 3 negatives each hand holding for 5 seconds each time *rest 2 minutes between reps*

Spring Clamp Thumb Squeezes 3x5 each hand. *no rest between reps but 1 minute rest between sets*

Plate Wrist Curls 3x15 each hand *1 minute rest between sets* (I was actually using a big textbook at this point but now I have access to a gym with weight plates)

That was my routine. I would do it 3 times a week. I would probably do HG 200 for the 5/5 closes and HG250 negatives since I'm trying for the HG250 now though.

Now I want to improve my routine, being smarter with my training and working on a more well rounded grip strength. I am still doing grip training 3 days a week (though if I should do more, I can add things into my strength workout days; like combine grip into other exercises, ex towel pullups, well I might be able to do them lol I haven't tried but I can do horizontal rows with a towel).

I'm not really sure if my workout is structured very well, if I should add in more exercises, take some away, do more sets/reps, add more and split them up on the three (or more) different days, do the same workout every one of the three days, etc.

For plate pinches I am wondering if my gyms plates are any good. They are made of a rubber or plastic type material and they look something like this.

I assume they are fine for wrist curls. If not there are dumbbells or longer bars I can use for wrist curls.

Some exercises I've been looking into that I could work with besides the ones above are:

Plate Pinching

Dumbbell lifting (by the ends) - Again rubber and I think these are the exact kind at the gym

Hand Opening with rubber bands

Hub Lifting/twisting

Knuckle/finger Push ups/planks

Hanging for time

I don't have a sledge-hammer at the moment but I'll be getting one in the future, it'll just be a little while.

Ok, so all I need now is to make up a nice routine that will help get me to my goals as efficiently as possible. I'm hoping this is where you guys will be able to help me, because like I said above, there's a lot of things I'm not sure about.

So is my original routine a good base to work on? Are any of my exercises posted above any good to incorporate into my routine? Are any not so good/effective?

Guest Bullitt

The original routine looks pretty good for a base. You may want to look into KTA here on the board. It has helped a lot of grippers get stronger. Definitely do the extensor work with the bands. For variety and to build all around hand strength any of the pinch grip movements you mentioned will help. Also, IMO, I would incorporate some supporting grip movements that tax your max abilities better than hanging for time. DO deadlifts, one hand deadlifts, or even try out the rolling thunder from IM or the Crusher from our great sponsor FBBC. Good luck!

The original routine looks pretty good for a base. You may want to look into KTA here on the board. It has helped a lot of grippers get stronger. Definitely do the extensor work with the bands. For variety and to build all around hand strength any of the pinch grip movements you mentioned will help. Also, IMO, I would incorporate some supporting grip movements that tax your max abilities better than hanging for time. DO deadlifts, one hand deadlifts, or even try out the rolling thunder from IM or the Crusher from our great sponsor FBBC. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. The KTA program looks pretty good, though I'm not able to purchase the program at this time so I'll have to pass on it for now, I may look into it again in the future if I am able to purchase it. OK, so the extensor work is a must, I'll add it into each day after my gripper work.

It's good to know that I can still do some good pinch work even with rubber weights. I was thinking it might not have been the best since you'd likely get a bit of a better grip on it. I think I'll mix it up to get some variety in. I'll try doing it with plates 2 of the 3 times, and I'll do the dumbbell lifting for the other (if the dumbbells are to big for my hand then hub lifting).

I'm also planning on adding regular deadlifts into my strength workouts once a week and suitcase deadlifts into my core workouts once a week. I also have barbell rows so that might help a little to. I'd like to get into the rolling thunder or the crusher at some point but not right now, I need to get use to deadlifting first since I've never done it before.

So that would give me a routine something like this:

Day1:

HG200 - 5 attempts each hand and 5 inverted attempts each hand *rest 1 minute between each rep*

HG250 - 3 negatives each hand holding for 5 seconds each time *rest 2 minutes between reps*

Spring Clamp Thumb Squeezes 3x5 each hand. *no rest between reps but 1 minute rest between sets*

Plate Wrist Curls 3x15 each hand *1 minute rest between sets*

Plate Pinching 3x10 sec *1 minute rest between sets*

Extensor work with bands 3x10 *1 minute rest between sets*

Day2:

HG150 - 5 attempts each hand and 5 inverted attempts each hand *rest 1 minute between each rep*

HG200 - 3 negatives each hand holding for 5 seconds each time *rest 2 minutes between reps*

DB or Hub Lifting 3x10 sec or lift up onto a higher object *1 minute rest between sets*

Day3:

HG200 - 5 attempts each hand and 5 inverted attempts each hand *rest 1 minute between each rep*

HG250 - 3 negatives each hand holding for 5 seconds each time *rest 2 minutes between reps*

Plate Pinching 3x10 sec *1 minute rest between sets*

So how is that looking? Is there any way it can be improved? What about the order the exercises are in? Sets and reps look fine for the other exercises?

One thing I was wondering is if I should take one day (say Day2) and instead of doing low rep gripper work on the higher grippers, work on getting higher reps on the lower grippers. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks again.

For extensor work i find that sticking your hand into a bucket of sand and slowly opening it works wonders and it's very simple to set up provided you have access to sand. Bands are good but you need to make sure you have it placed correctly around your fingers or one finger may be left out.

I wouldn't put anything that involves your thumb after thumb work with a pony clamp. If you use the pony clamp correctly, your thumbs should be totally cooked.

For extensor work i find that sticking your hand into a bucket of sand and slowly opening it works wonders and it's very simple to set up provided you have access to sand. Bands are good but you need to make sure you have it placed correctly around your fingers or one finger may be left out.

I don't have access to sand right now unless I were to go buy some. I think I'll just stick with bands and make sure each finger is extending with force against them.

I wouldn't put anything that involves your thumb after thumb work with a pony clamp. If you use the pony clamp correctly, your thumbs should be totally cooked.

I was a little worried about that. Hmm, maybe I'll work my pinch grip on Day1&3 and take out the clamp closing and then on Day 2 I'll do the clamp closing and take out the pinch work.