Anything Needed For Hybrid Comp?

Bob Lipinski

Gonna bring my grippers of course. My collection only has a few gaps- Want me to bring an RGC? Got some new ones I'm not as confident on in terms of difficulty. I got a 2" crusher recently, also I have one of Larkin's thin plates if you want them for the medley.

Also- I want a #3 that calibrates around 145. I would trade a single stamp 3 for it.

Gonna bring my grippers of course. My collection only has a few gaps- Want me to bring an RGC? Got some new ones I'm not as confident on in terms of difficulty. I got a 2" crusher recently, also I have one of Larkin's thin plates if you want them for the medley.

Also- I want a #3 that calibrates around 145. I would trade a single stamp 3 for it.

I might have a gripper that fits what you're looking for. I'll have to check when I get home on the cal #. I'll let you know tongiht.

brent

Bring the crusher and Larkin's plate for sure! Thanks Bob!

If anyone has a 30lb blob they could bring, that would be perfect :)

I have a 25# blob and a 30# hex. I can bring both.

I have a 25# blob and a 30# hex. I can bring both.

Actually, if anyone has any 2" loading pins to bring, that would be awesome!

I have a 30#Blob I'll bring. Is there going to be a 50#Blob there? If not I'll bring mine.

I can bring a 2" loading pin. I may even be able to find 2. Anything else, Zach? Im bringing 2 guys with me as well.

Brent- The #3 I want to trade is in Bed Edward's possession (I let him borrow it), but his word is gold as far as getting anything to somebody. I know exactly how strong it is. I can probably tell if I like yours after a few warmup squeezes no matter what the calibration is. This #3 calibrated at 151, and it is within a hair of a few of my other #3 grippers.

Dave, I wouldn't mind taking a shot at the blob 50. I've also got my hard one. If you want to trade for a while I wouldn't mind, if not no big deal.

I'll bring a loading pin too, just in case.

How about the pinch setup? Are you all set there Zach?

I have a 30#Blob I'll bring. Is there going to be a 50#Blob there? If not I'll bring mine.

I do have a Blob50, but it's a pretty slick one as blobs go. If you'd like to use yours, I'm fine with that too.

I can bring a 2" loading pin. I may even be able to find 2. Anything else, Zach? Im bringing 2 guys with me as well.

As far as I can see, I don't need more than 2 loading pins at this point, but you never know. Good to hear about the extra guys! I think I've gotten at least 2 local guys interested enough to compete, but only time will tell.

I'll bring a loading pin too, just in case.

How about the pinch setup? Are you all set there Zach?

Thanks Bob.

Dave mentioned rather insistently at the last get-together that we use his setup. So he's either forgotten until he reads this, or we were going to use his :)

If everyone forgets, we have my quazi-seasoned setup, so no worries.

I'm sure the Euro setup is a lot better than mine.

Bob's going to stop by on the way, we can bring whatever you need yet.

Brent- The #3 I want to trade is in Bed Edward's possession (I let him borrow it), but his word is gold as far as getting anything to somebody. I know exactly how strong it is. I can probably tell if I like yours after a few warmup squeezes no matter what the calibration is. This #3 calibrated at 151, and it is within a hair of a few of my other #3 grippers.

Yep, I'll send it out ASAP to whoever Bob says is its new master. :D

Have fun tomorrow guys. I'll be trying to give myself whiplash at the Rockstar Mayhem Fest. Heh.

I'm hoping you do this contest again next year and repeat the chinup event. By then I should be down enough bwt to be competitive at it.

Edited by Incindium

how much are you down since Gripmas jesse?

Placed 3rd overall. Thorton and one of Sweeney's friends beat me. Found out I had the wrong pinch width, did an easy lift+hold with more than my max after 4 attempts. The pinch and chinups I did bad in. Got 2nd to Thorton in everything else, except for the highlight of my day- Tying him in grippers. Zach sat out the clean and press because of injury, but I don't think it would have changed his placing much. Still wanted to whip him healthy though.

Here goes:

Zach's Contest turned out really well. We still ended up with 9 competitors. This was my son Ben's first Contest so that was the highlight for me. He won the Novice Division.

I started out bad and kept missing the 3.5. My son closed the HG200

Next we had the Axle Pullups. A couple of Dan Sweeny's friend's did 130 or so extra pounds. Very impressive, they are all into Martial Arts and pullups/chins are a major part of their workout.

I did 110 and I think my son did 45.

Next we did the 2HP with the Euro. The implement looked to be in good shape, however it was a humid rainy day. I almost got 234 for a Contest PR, which I was happy with. Ben pulled just shy of 120. Bob pulled in the middle of the pack, which hurt him with the scoring. Bob pulled a bit more with the 48mm than he did on the 42mm.

We had the axle clean and press next. I did a clean/reverse curl strict press for 235. Probably the only time I will out press Bob. My son did around 115.

Last was the Medley. Zach had his Coulter bell and a smooth pair of 45's. The Medley was set up very well. Zach even had an 8# front lever with the extra long handle that he put in. I only got the lever to the 2nd. platform, Zach got the lever to the 3rd. platform.

The novice medley had lighter weights which worked out great for the younger guys.

Thank you to the Diesel Crew for the Prize Money. And to FBBC for the great looking Hex Gripper and my son's Fat Bastard Barbell t-shirt.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Couple questions Dave/Zach?

Were the axle pullups palm facing or palms away?

Was the axle just put across a power rack or something?

Dave you strict pressed 235 (no jerk)? If so WOW!! :rock

Josh,

The axle pullups were with the palms away.

The axle was secured to the top of a power rack.

In my mind I cleaned and push pressed the 235.

In reality though my form was terrible. Even the new guys were calling the clean a reverse curl. We were allowed to push or jerk the weight. My knee dip was just so poor that Bob didn't notice it.

I might actually train my presses with a slight push. Seems to be OK on the elbows.

Josh,

The axle pullups were with the palms away.

The axle was secured to the top of a power rack.

In my mind I cleaned and push pressed the 235.

In reality though my form was terrible. Even the new guys were calling the clean a reverse curl. We were allowed to push or jerk the weight. My knee dip was just so poor that Bob didn't notice it.

I might actually train my presses with a slight push. Seems to be OK on the elbows.

Thanks Dave. Those are some very strong pullups for palms away, nevermind the grip portion! Congrats on another win!

I noticed a knee dip, it just wasn't quick enough to help with the press!

We ruined Zach's brand new pipe axle he made. Dave was also right about the medley- Nice and well balanced.

Edited by Bob Lipinski

Sorry about the delay in contest updates from me. I have the papers with the lifts at the shop and I've been up at Round Lake all day today.

Dave missed the 3.5 by the smallest of margins, you could not have slid a credit card between the handles, TWICE, closed the hard elite and then missed the hard 3.5 by just a hair more than he missed the easy 3.5. Bob and Dave both ended up with the hard elite closed. Mark, a friend of Dan's, closed a 2.5 and I don't recall how he did on the narrow GM after that. He was a strong guy! Beat Bob in the overall. Josh, another friend of Dan's has quite a bit of potential in grip if he focuses on it as an aside to his martial arts.

The pullups were done on the same bar that we used as an axle. I secured it to my power rack with some U bolts, so it did not rotate. I think I managed around 100 or so with a kip at the end.

I pulled 173 on the 2HP, it felt great today but I was hardly on top form today. No big pulls from me. Dave got 234 halfway up, Mark pulled 186, my older brother beat me by pulling 181 and Bob somehow only managed 171 in comp on the thinner width. He pulled 173 and held it after his attempts were up on the 48mm setup. Live and learn! :laugh

The axle was a piece of black pipe from home depot bought the day before the comp and assembled 1hr ahead of time. I've used a shorter piece of this stuff to help pry a 600lb engine off it's mounts with only slight damage. This bar, however, exited the event with a noticeable frown.

The medley turned out great for something I thought about for a long time but put together day-of. A lot of things would've changed had I been able to get some of the BBers from around town to show up. I'm somehow maintaining enough front lever strength to beat Dave when it shows up in a comp. I'll brag because it's the only thing I've got him on by any stretch so far :rock :rock :rock

Overall, Dave's son and my little bro were pretty narrowly matched and they both seemed to enjoy having the other there to make the experience more fun. Ben impressed me on that axle, cleaning 120 with better form than his old man( ;) ) and just missing the press twice. I would've been at 205-225 had I been able to do this event, still behind Dave and Bob. Poor Sweeney just couldn't get the clean down because of his hyoogeness. His racked position was higher than his nose. Mark managed to make every attempt look easier than the last despite not having done the movement more than a dozen times in his training career. The axle event turned out well, but if I ever include it again, I would just make it a DO clean with continentals allowed. After doing DO continentals in training and at the contest where I tweaked my knee, it is DEFINITELY a grip event as the weight goes up. Grip could easily become the limiting factor far before body strength.

We all did a bit of 2" FBBC Crusher and some levering afterwards. Burgers and brownies were delicious.

Thanks again to the DIESEL CREW and FBBC for sponsoring the contest!!!!