Wsm 2002 Prelims.

Tom of Iowa2

I saw most of them today. How about Bergmanis? What a performance! I think the finals will be shown on the 24th. They should include more grip-type events in WSM, don't you think?

How about Jesse Marunde's peformance? I thought he did excellent for his first appearance there and was only 23 years old to boot!!! By the way does anyone know how far along he is to closing the #4?

They should include more grip-type events in WSM, don't you think?

What?!?!? How familiar are you with the events? Many of them require a very strong grip.

Farmer's walk

Arm over arm pull

Hercule's Hold

Atlas stones (smear grip)

Deadlift w/o straps

Jason

Dec. 24

2002 WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN COMPETITION

2:00 pm to 5:00 pm

ESPN2

Dec. 22

1998 WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN COMPETITION

2:30 am to 3:00 am

Dec. 26

1999 WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN COMPETITION

11:30 pm to 12:00 am

Dec. 30

1998 WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN COMPETITION

2:30 am to 3:00 am

Jan. 1 (2003)

All-Day Marathon

Was really shocked and Impressed at the performance of Gregor Edmonds!very impressive...not a very big guy either,barely weighed what 265 lbs.PERFECT form on the conans/stone cricle -textbook on a few events.

Didn't even do well on what would naturally be his best event the 56# weight throw for height?

Kirit was tough but that Injury to the Ham string happened approx.10 12 seconds into the farmers walk...that put a fork in it for him.Hung tough and did well on the 56lb weight throw...just learned that throw 2-3 months before going over there?if you've ever monkeyed around with a 56#wt?you know 16 ft is a 'toss'

Marrunde was good,actually about my age :cool ...he is faster in person..there is a pic of him on the internet..he is now up to 300lbs.Boston should be an incredible show this year.

Yeah was happy for Bergmanis..he's been at it for awhile.

Cool how he did a split 'jerk'with the 374log?Glad he made the finals and the sport isn't getting any 'kinder'...next year..?should be crazier as more young competitors are getting involved...more big athletic guys in particular.

Thanks for the schedule...looks like i'm gonna be late for christmas eve dinner!

Karl Gillingham flew on the stones!!Very impressive on that event in his heat.maybe next year?

That Hungarian in the prelims has some potential.You could tell he hadn't practiced the events much...and just muscled up those log presses..?!was learning the Fingals fingers as he went.

J.Perry-God rest his soul.Was in the mix of things all the way and flew on the fingals fingers in the prelims...

Pudzionoski.Can someone say:just rename the carry and drag after him?That was impressive.

Svend..looked off...but maybe it was just the level of competition had caught up?(Svend and Hugo came back and beat pudzianoski in a 'heavier'european contest since the WSM though.......)

Could go on and on..but won't. :cool you can pay me later.

Better production than last year?! and KAZ made EVERYBODY look small.....

Better production than last year?! and KAZ made EVERYBODY look small.....

Yeah I thought it was great. I can't wait to see the marathon. I will probably just run the VCR, so I can watch some that I have missed in the past.

Kaz only looked "small" when standing next to J. Perry and Hugo. Not bad for 49. It really put some things in perspective when then showed some of his clips from the 80's. A 360lb log press with ease and I believe a 16' 6", 56# for height. :bow

Edited by Fatboy250

Guest sjeff70

Better production? IMHO they don't make them like they used to. They cut out key lifts from close events which takes the whole excitement out of it. They didn't do this in early WSM competitions.

For instance, I think they've shown less coverage of the deadlift and squat over the years. I understand they have to make a show 1/2 hour long, but I also think they may have added too many events compared to 15-20 years ago. Maybe with increased events they've spread themselves out too thin, and they can only show bits of coverage. Or they waste too much time showing the island they are on or explaining the local culture. I'm tuned in to watch feats of strength; if I want to see culture, I'll watch the Travel channel.

They need to have a guy who is interested in WSM taping the events, not someone with a longer resume. I've waiting to get the first 15 years on tape but they haven't run one from this period in years. :cry

Jeff

For instance, I think they've shown less coverage of the deadlift and squat over the years.

I'm tuned in to watch feats of strength; if I want to see culture, I'll watch the Travel channel.

I was kinda put off that they didn't show the squat event or mention how much they had to squat for reps like they did with the deadlift.

I believe the tourist locations that the WSM has been held at the past few years help fit the bill in the production of the event. Sort of an advertisement for the location. Met-rx too.

Jason

Well it is(unfortunately) a TV show...first...and a contest second.

Unfortunately the public isn't as interested in the squat and the deadlift...yes sad for us 'strength'fans but the other events bring in the channel surfers and the casual fans and the guys watching at the bars...more fans..more TV -hopefully ,eventually more money$$?which makes it better for our brethren in strength that CAN compete at this level?!The stones and the truck pull and the medley's are what gets the channel surfers to stop in and watch.

Better production because Kaz was back and in some sort of shape...and had more to say.

Much better than the years without him and much better than the years that they had that british announcer(no offense to the brits)who would go on and on....or how about that female commentator they had?

The added events?more events?(although obviously they aren't all perfect 'tests')make it a better contest,again the squat and the dead are great strength tests..and I'm glad they have them...but they aren't too exciting on TV..Also,although I'm sure we all have an opinion on what the events should be this isn't the forum for it :cool Again more events makes it more likely that the right guy at leat win this contest....less events?less of a test.

As a TV show and as a business they probably HAVE to do some 'travel channel'stuff..in order to get the host country to shut down the streets and get the guys their hotel rooms?I could do without it too..but the show must go on and hopefully the money will start trickeling down to the athletes..

Kaz's press WAS impressive-wow-those big wooden logs were awesome.

Anybody but me notice??They kept saying HUGOS chest was 70inches?Last year it was 60 inches..HHHMMMMM???...kind of like old timer Torfi Olafson who has been announced at 6'7",6'8"and once i think they said he was 6'9"??? :ohmyTorfi might be 'growing'but not in an upwards direction :whacked LOL

Hugo dominated his qualifying heat (which included Pudzianoski)then got 7th place in the finals...

More recently in the Strongman Super series(held in Stocholm) which had a great 'cast'of competitors Hugo got first,Svend second,Savicus 3rd and pudzianoski was in 5th place...

Depends on whos having a good day and the events...?

1)Pudzianoski 58pts

2)Savickas 50pts

3)bergmanis 47.5pts

4)Johnny Perry 42pts(R.I.P)

5)Svend 39pts

6)Rasanen 38.5pts

7)Hugo 38.5 pts

8)Edmunds 27.5 pts

9)Dymek 24.5pts

10.)Samuelson (injured)

In the super series though Hugo beat Svend(2nd place)by 10 pts and was way out ahead of Pudzionoski(5th)

He does seem to have a rough time at the finals...?

Guest sjeff70

All points are very true...I am greatful that it is available in the US and that we at least get to see it. :yikes

Sorry, Tou...I know someone has to tape the shows, maybe we could send you some video? Heck, I guess I could after I get settled in on my long distance move. I'm in the process of moving from Ohio to Missouri.

Sorry to take even more space on non grip stuff. :blush

Jeff