Family Griptogether

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Two of my kids and I had a nice grip workout today. They live with their Mom in Cincy. They are here visiting for the week. Was loads of fun and I think my son is hooked. Not sure if my 12 year old daughter is quite as enthusiastic as you will see from her bending video. :D

Billy is a wirey 100Lb 13 yo. He has played hockey since he was 4 and also plays football and lacrosse. He has had my HG100 for a couple months and can close that. Here were the hilights from the funnest workout I have ever had:

Billy doing 27 pullups (we're working on the full range of motion concept ;) )

He wasn't able to 2-hand pinch the 42.4lb blob, but after he deadlifted the 60LB kettlebell so easily with each hand, we let him try the one armed deadlift on an olympic bar. His best was 95lbs.

Then we did some bending. Both he and my 12 year old daughter Katie were able to DO some timber tie nails I bought. I think these are like 1/8 X6. Billy actually wobbled a 3/16th 6" screw. Lots of fun.

Billy:

And here's Katie's enthusiastic bend...

Billy also benched 80lbs for his first ever bench press. Has asked for a weight set for Christmas. That's my boy. Gotta get some beef on him. Any comments or encouragement for them would be great!

That's some impressive stuff for 12 and 13yr olds! I know for a fact I couldn't do a pullup until I was 15 nor could I bench more than 75lbs at that time. Getting them started young!

Sounds great mike! I've tried and failed on numerous occasions to get my family and girlfriend into grip :) The most i got out of them was a few goes on my #1 which were a sad failure lol.

Way to get them started Mike! Real nice vids :rock

Good times Rindo. My favorite part of the vids was after Billy did the bend and you let out the laugh. HAHAHAHHA.

It's great that you encourage them to physical activities Mike!

I played hockey as well until I went to army. Grip work will pay off in that. I sometimes test my wrist shot and it's harder now than it was when I played.

Edited by Teemu I

Two of my kids and I had a nice grip workout today. They live with their Mom in Cincy. They are here visiting for the week. Was loads of fun and I think my son is hooked. Not sure if my 12 year old daughter is quite as enthusiastic as you will see from her bending video. :D

Billy is a wirey 100Lb 13 yo. He has played hockey since he was 4 and also plays football and lacrosse. He has had my HG100 for a couple months and can close that. Here were the hilights from the funnest workout I have ever had:

He wasn't able to 2-hand pinch the 42.4lb blob, but after he deadlifted the 60LB kettlebell so easily with each hand, we let him try the one armed deadlift on an olympic bar. His best was 95lbs.

Then we did some bending. Both he and my 12 year old daughter Katie were able to DO some timber tie nails I bought. I think these are like 1/8 X6. Billy actually wobbled a 3/16th 6" screw. Lots of fun.

Billy:

Billy also benched 80lbs for his first ever bench press. Has asked for a weight set for Christmas. That's my boy. Gotta get some beef on him. Any comments or encouragement for them would be great!

Billy:

Awesome stuff Billy and Katie! :rock

Guest Bullitt

The kids are heading back to their Mom's tomorrow, so Billy and I got one more workout in. He set a couple PRs. Was able to bench his bodyweight: 95lbs (had to give him a slight nudge through the sticking point).

His hilight was hitting 100lbs on the one armed deadlift:

The old man got 265 and was able to lift 275 passed my knees, but couldn't quite get it all the way. I had done some gripper work right before. I need to try these fresh.

Near miss on 275lb 1 arm deadlift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG4yW43F5Ck

Nice work guys :rock

Great videos and awesome strength all around. From you to the kids. That's really cool man. I never got to lift with my dad, but was lucky enough to lift with a strong older brother. Your kids are lucky.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks guys. One of the best weeks of my life, however, we did so much that I'm going to need a vacation to recover from the vacation. :laugh

That's totally awesome Mike, your kids are very lucky to have a dad like you. Seems like they both really enjoyed it as well, who knows maybe your son and daughter will be posting on the GB with their own accounts someday, telling us about a new PR in Pinch or being a sheet of paper away from a #3. :rock

Great job Dad and kids! I love it when my son bends and grips with me. Physical fitness is sadly lacking these days with the kids.

Tim

your kids have lots of potencial Mike! congrats for giving them extra confidence to achieve great results:-)

I must have missed this thread - those are some great kids you have, Mike! Glad y'all had such a great week!

Guest Bullitt

Thanks everybody! Trying to recover from a great weekend and a 14 hour car trip yesterday to drop them off at their mom's I miss them already. Billy has Hammy's HG100 gripper to work with. He and my other daughter Maddie (12) were both able to DO a 3/16 X 6" HRS round before they left. What a super week. I, and most importantly my kids, want to thank everybody for their encouragement and nice comments. They are all very much appreciated. :D

Get them addicted early, thats the trick :D

I have to second what everybody else said. That is just awesome. I have a son that just turned three. I hope he shows as much interest at that age as he does now. Hopefully he will far surpass what I am able to do someday.