32 members have voted

1. 1. Who's gonna win

• Rich 3-0
    • Rich 3-1
    • Rich 3-2
    • Ron 3-0
    • Ron 3-1
    • Ron 3-2

It's confirmed, it's Ron Bath vs. Richard instead of Travis Bagent vs. Richard (on August 8th). Who's it gonna be? Right handed best of 5. Here's my prediction: First two matches Rich takes but Ron slows him down a lot. Rich mostly uses a lot of side pressure like he usually does. By the 3rd match Rich is tired and Ron is able to stop him and slowly work his hand back and then get him down (like at the 2007 ROTN). 4 and 5 Rich will be too tired and they'll be like match 3 but each time will be slightly easier for Ron (none will be "easy" for anybody though). So 3-2 Ron is my vote... I really don't know though and wouldn't be surprised if Rich or Ron win. I would be surprised if one person easily wins but nothing else. Because Rich just trains weights, no table (except tournaments) I think his endurance on the table is probably lacking, at least in comparison to Ron's (who's endurance seems to be very good judging by his supermatch with Michael Todd... Michael stopped the match and Ron still beat him and that's not something most people can do).

Of course, being from Minnesota, I hope that Rich proves me wrong. :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darthsith19

• mightyjoe

• Wade Gillingham

• G-Man

Best out of 5, so first to 3 wins... and I said Rich wins first 2 then Ron comes back and wins 3.... in a scenario like that it's possible to have a 3-2 score and pull all matches.

Rich 5 - 0 all the way.

This is a good match up but by no means a great match up.

I would much rather see Rich vs Dave Randall or Andre Pushkar.

Rich does have to avenge his one loss to Ron Bath, which he will do, as long as he stays healthy. I predict Rich 3-0, easily.

Well Pushkar probably doesn't want t come from Ukraine just to win the toproll superheavyweight belt, then he has to come back for every other tournament just to defend his title, and David Randall is "retired" (for now anyways). But Dave said on the Northeast Board that Ron came to his house to train a few days ago and felt strong. G-Man, did you watch the video of Don Underwood vs. Richard Lupkes from the nationals (on armtv)?

G-Man, did you watch the video of Don Underwood vs. Richard Lupkes from the nationals (on armtv)?

Yes - Rich gave Don his arm and Rich still beat him very convincingly (unless there was a second match that I did not see).

Just curious what makes you so certain that Rich "gave" Don his arm, and that Don didn't make him struggle a bit because Don's a great armwrestle and Rich isn't superman?

Just curious what makes you so certain that Rich "gave" Don his arm, and that Don didn't make him struggle a bit because Don's a great armwrestle and Rich isn't superman?

Rich didn't hit on the go - never does. Don got into his fingers but never budged his wrist or arm and with straps on it was a no contest. Don obviously had his hit down for Nationals so this is a pretty good statement for Rich to beat him that convincingly.

Rich is close to SUPERMAN. :D

Rich didn't hit on the go - never does. Don got into his fingers but never budged his wrist or arm and with straps on it was a no contest. Don obviously had his hit down for Nationals so this is a pretty good statement for Rich to beat him that convincingly.

Don't hit is always down... and why would Rich never hit? Maybe he did hit and Don is just faster. Maybe Rich has a weakness, maybe even 2. :yikes Maybe Rich will beat Ron but he's by no means unbeatable like you guys are acting like he is, and I see no reason why he wouldn't hit at NATIONALS while going against one of the best armwrestlers in the USA. He certainly hit when he pulled Nick Zinna... why wouldn't he hit Underwood... maybe he did and Underwood was just faster and Rich's fingers are one of his weak links?

Don't hit is always down... and why would Rich never hit? Maybe he did hit and Don is just faster. Maybe Rich has a weakness, maybe even 2. :yikes Maybe Rich will beat Ron but he's by no means unbeatable like you guys are acting like he is, and I see no reason why he wouldn't hit at NATIONALS while going against one of the best armwrestlers in the USA. He certainly hit when he pulled Nick Zinna... why wouldn't he hit Underwood... maybe he did and Underwood was just faster and Rich's fingers are one of his weak links?

I don't recall anyone saying he's unbeatable.

A possibility you left out is maybe Richard knows when he sets up with an individual

if he wants to let them hit or not. You got to admit, he's one STRONG dude.

There's certain people that I'll let hit me and then I go from there. Then there's others I

got to hit as fast and hard as I can or else.

Richard is beatable and so is any other known puller on the planet.

Yes he is strong. Yes sometimes some people let other people hit, but Don Underwood is so fast and also very strong - he flashed Tim Bresnan at the Arnolds so I doubt Rich would let him hit and just try and hold him there. I don't think anybody would let someone who can flash Tim Bresnan just hit them, maybe if it was a best out of 6 and they'd already won the first 4 then yes but not like this...

think about it this way, when John and Corey Miller face each other in overalls, you can see John tense up and get ready for Corey's hit... at the U.S. Open this year Corey got a slightly better start and barely moved John's arm. As soon as John stopped him it was but John laughed and said "Almost." same thing as when Dan Whittle pulled Corey in the overall at Oklahoma states. Don Underwood is just as fast as Corey but is a LOT stronger. There's some speed demons that you just don't let hit.

Edited by Josh H

^^^agreed....good points Josh.

Nobody lets a top dog hit their arm...period...there are times a good armwrestler can handle a much weaker opponent taking off , but not a top dog in the same class.

When I pulled Sylvain ,Don was screaming to me to" HIT !!"..........yet I always started in losing position.................I tried to hit.......he was just really on point with his starts once he figured out I was stronger.

Sometimes what looks like people "catching" is really being "caught"on "go".....or being put in a bad position by a FASTER opponent.

^^^agreed....good points Josh.

Nobody lets a top dog hit their arm...period...there are times a good armwrestler can handle a much weaker opponent taking off , but not a top dog in the same class.

When I pulled Sylvain ,Don was screaming to me to" HIT !!"..........yet I always started in losing position.................I tried to hit.......he was just really on point with his starts once he figured out I was stronger.

Sometimes what looks like people "catching" is really being "caught"on "go".....or being put in a bad position by a FASTER opponent.

I agree with your last statement Rob. Great point.

Your first statement, I think Al Turner was the exception. He intentially took

hits from top dogs in his same weight class and started after the hit. This was

his style and he was darn good at it too. I can't think of another puller that does

this.

Josh, good analogy.

Actually, letting someone hit you is sometimes the only way to win.

Now lets see if all you newbies and other armwrestling analysis figure out why.

...lost me there Bob... is it because the person who hits sometimes moves their body away from their arm during their hit and that's the only way you can beat them?

Bob, don't tell the answer until Rob V. replies. :D

Close............

Static strength is stronger than dynamic strength. In other words, you can HOLD more than you can MOVE. Ever hear the saying, "Things in motion tends to stay in motion, and things at rest tends to stay at rest"

What does this mean in AW.

Lets assume one guy is just a little weaker than the other but enough weaker to lose every time. Now that same guy allows the stronger guy to hit. Since the match starts in the REST or STOPPED position the guy who hits will lose some strength when he hits and now he has reduced his strength to be a little weaker than the actual weaker puller and leave his hand or arm vulnerable to losing there position and give the advantage to the guy who did not hit.

Have you ever seen someone hit so hard they hit themselves right out of position.

Food for thought.

Most times........HIT Sometimes.........CATCH

Bob, don't tell the answer until Rob V. replies. :D

Sorry

Edited by bob brown

GREAT post Bob!!!

Rob, have you ever heard of what Bob just described?

Steve Stanaway explained this to me years ago (1991) when I inquired about

Al Turners style.

Edited by Mighty Joe

Yes he is strong. Yes sometimes some people let other people hit, but Don Underwood is so fast and also very strong - he flashed Tim Bresnan at the Arnolds so I doubt Rich would let him hit and just try and hold him there. I don't think anybody would let someone who can flash Tim Bresnan just hit them, maybe if it was a best out of 6 and they'd already won the first 4 then yes but not like this...

think about it this way, when John and Corey Miller face each other in overalls, you can see John tense up and get ready for Corey's hit... at the U.S. Open this year Corey got a slightly better start and barely moved John's arm. As soon as John stopped him it was but John laughed and said "Almost." same thing as when Dan Whittle pulled Corey in the overall at Oklahoma states. Don Underwood is just as fast as Corey but is a LOT stronger. There's some speed demons that you just don't let hit.

A training partner of mine (Robbie Burnett) intentially let Corey Miller(Top Dog) hit him

and Robbie said he was a joke. Robbie blasted right through Corey. Robbie went on to say

that Corey's hand is a weak as a ladies.

Just something to think about.

Look at the angle of the set-up - the gap between Rich's hand and shoulder was a lot bigger than the gap between Don's hand and shoulder. It didn't look fair to Rich but Rich still won very convincingly.

If Rich isn't superman, he's pretty damned close - I would put my money on him over anyone else in the world right now execept for Larratt and maybe Randall.

some people don't pull tight to their shoulder.

I know john for one sets up pretty open and not super tight

Yeah and if Rich didn't set up tight with Don then he won't with Ron and it will be the same disadvantage for him either way... Joe was Robbie just talking trash, because isn't that the guy who lost to Chandler last week and then later they pulled again and Chandler hurt his wrist? If so, Chris Chandler talks about how Corey can give him a fight...

Anyways since Devon and Dave Randall are pulling (best 2 out of 3) on September 19th at the NEAC, maybe Ron and Dave will be getting ready for their matches together...