Grip Strength Vs Other Forms Of Strength

Grippster

Something just occurred to me a while back. Why is it that most people find it hard to make significant gains in grip while other muscles respond much, much quicker? For example, you may start off with your max bench being 200 pounds, and then a few years later you may be up to 450lbs if you work hard. With grippers on the other hand, you may start out only being able to close a gripper that calibrates at 120 lbs and 3 years later only moved up to 190lbs. Anyone know why this is, and why gains in grip strength are so small compared to other types of training?

For example, you may start off with your max bench being 200 pounds, and then a few years later you may be up to 450lbs if you work hard.

Wow, 200lb (91kg) to 450lb (204kg) in a few years :rolleyes

For example, you may start off with your max bench being 200 pounds, and then a few years later you may be up to 450lbs if you work hard.

... hmmm, possible for a weak boy, who is not strong by nature (like me). every dummy can become a strong bencher, if he want.

to become a fine grip-athlete is much more difficult.

um, yea. If you actually train hard consistantly (3 times a week chest workouts) you could do it. Especially if you're still in your early 20s when you're still growing and getting stronger naturally. It took me a couple months to work up to closing the hg300 from the hg200 but even though I've been off actual grip training for about 7-8 months I can still close the 300 for one rep. That's natural strength from horomones.

no secret...

people view their hands as a different type of "muscle group" compared to the rest of their bodies..

that statement alone should say enough.

At this point in my life, my hands are getting stronger by themselves very quickly. Faster than any other part of my body in fact. It's funny how growth hormones work. But yea, I guess in general the smaller muscles don't build as big or as fast.

strange, i made much faster gains in grip then i have in anything else
You will cos you're young (God! Just saying that aged me a few years!) Your body is still deciding what kind of body it's going to be ( other than BIG due to your heretige) you'll make fast gains in anything you set your mind to, when your body is more mature you'll need to do more to gain more.

Damn, I guess I should have started grip training earlier then. I have wondered about how strong I'd be if I had started training at age 13. I could be up to a GE by now, maybe? oh well it's only wishful thinking

no secret...

people view their hands as a different type of "muscle group" compared to the rest of their bodies..

that statement alone should say enough.

So true. I am writing an article and included the following in it which proves your point:

In my book I describe a very simple way to work out what's best in the set and rep schemes. While muscle fibre types in the forearms may differ from say what is in the majority in your mighty pecs the sets and reps which you find work best for you wont suddenly differ when it comes to the forearms...edited ...with advice on how the book should have been written because it did not offer some magic combination of numbers. I pointed out that while I can and do (via my logs) have written what I do that doesn't mean the same combo would then work for everyone else. From what I've seen my volume on grippers is a fair old bit less than most.

So look at your training diaries and do some numbers. If the majority of what you do is 3 x 10 then it's likely that'll be a good starting point.

Again - what works for X will probably work for Y. No need to change it up but a little.

Edited by mobsterone

Damn, I guess I should have started grip training earlier then. I have wondered about how strong I'd be if I had started training at age 13. I could be up to a GE by now, maybe? oh well it's only wishful thinking

Start early, start late, youthful exuberism means quick gains and long term learning, elderly wisdom means slow gains but max gain for minimum effort due to accumilated knowledge, either way you give 100% you end up at the same place.

I've wondered that myself - 13 or even 53 :blush