Question About Your Pinch Grip

EricMilfeld

How does your plate pinching poundage compare to your poundage with the new 3 inch Blockbuster pinch block? I'm 5 pounds shy of pinching 2 45's, and am curious as to what poundage this would translate to on the pinch block. Christmas has left me a little short on the neccessary cash to purchase it just yet :whacked

Along w/width, the surface texture and coatings of the plates makes a huge difference in how much weight you can pinch. You're probably doing 35's pretty easily now - try a different brand of plates or some chrome plated ones - you'll see what I mean. The chrome plated Ivanko plates are the hardest I've found so far (chaulk actually makes the lift harder for me).

The best I've done on the 3" IM block is 55lbs in plates. The best I've done w/the plate pinching (no pin - makes the lift much easier) is 35's for about 15sec holds. The IM block is slicker (powder coat), but it doesnt have sharp edges and I can get more hand around it. You also dont have to worry about the plates sliding apart either.

The only way for you to answer your question is to try yourself. I wouldnt worry about it too much though - just keep pinching the plates you have. What ever you've been doing seems to work really well, as you have a very good pinch grip.

Thnx, mq6680. My curiosity was piqued after reading about Wade Gillingham's 65 pound world record. It seems that your're pretty close to that record yourself!

Just curious...is that 65lbs(Gillinghams) of weight?or is it Total wt.?

the olympic pin and the block itself are what 5.5?6lbs?...as with the grippers and other items the loading pins etc..may be off a few ounces from batch to batch...

There are a lot of peeps lifting 55lbs w/the IM block (S. Clayton, the Hornes, etc, etc, etc) - I dont use it anymore as its too finicky on how much sweat or chaulk you have on your hand (dang powder coat). One (knowing them I should say all) of the Gillinghams can hub pinch 70lbs w/the IM hub device so I'm sure he can do much more than 55lbs (add 5 or 6 for the pin etc). A lot of the times these impromptu pinch contests are held at the end of other WSM contests and that can really affect how much you can lift. If you're close to pinching 45's you shouldnt have much of a problem pinching 55 (61) on the IM device - try it, you'll be suprised. Please report back when you get one.

I am opening my IM pinch block tomorrow. There are about five of us who know what we can usually pinch on plates. Then we'll all try the block. I'm hoping that by the time we are done we'll be able to say that on average we were able to get 80%, this is just a guess, on the block of what we could get on plates. Just so others can have a rough estimate or ballpark idea of what they could get.