Making Your Own

Guest WesMarden

Guest WesMarden

Well I bought myself a little flux welder for Christmas so i can start on a few new projects. I am fixing up a 71 cutlass, which is one reason I bought the welder. The other reason is I have always wanted to make my own weightlifting equipment.

I was wondering if anybody here has made grip equipment themselves. I mean aside from a pinch grip block. More complicated stuff similar to stuff PDA or ironmind puts out. I have a titan's telegraph key and used it to get an idea for what size stock to buy. I bought two 4 foot pieces of 3/4 inch square 14 ga steel tubing.

I was thinking of making a gripper similar in function to the hardy handshake, but a little different. More like an L sitting in the "lap" of another L. But hinged along the bottom of the smaller L. And the two uprights would be where you actual grip together. I was thinking this would be fairly easy to make.(I have a little picture I drew up, but I have posted in on the web, so just ask me if I am not being clear enough).

Or would it be easier to just duplicate the hardy handshake. Or at least borrow alot from the design. I figure with this machine I could make more progress than with my current system of using spring clamps. Plus I want to make my own stuff just for fun and to also further my welding skills.

I figure grip stuff wouldn't have as much of a safety problem as if I started on a bench or something like that. I also am planning on making a plate tree. But I am trying to decide if I want to make an A frame or a post type.

Edited by WesMarden