Arm Wars Mighty Quest

mithras

Just got back from Manchester where I was watching ARM WARS today, and pulling on the practice table!

Michael Todd lost his right handed world arm wars title to Yoshinobu Kanai!

I'm pretty sure Kanai won all 6 matches :blink When Michael went into his flopped wrist position, Kanai still had plenty of power to pin Michael, from the overhead camera Kanai kept the matches central for most of the time before going for the pin, he looked insanely strong. He fouled a lot and had to pin Michael again twice (I think).

After the match Neil Pickup asked him (via his interpreter) if he wanted to challenge Devon for the superheavyweightmasteroftheuniverse title (or whatever it's called :D ) and he said yes please! He did look extremely powerful and in control of each match....

Don Underwood lost his match against the Romanian chap (whose name I can't remember), the score was 4-2 if I heard correctly. The Romanian was simply too powerful, though Don did get 2 decent wins via toproll.

Frode Haugland surprised everyone by beating Steve Kirlew (from MK armwrestling) 5-1 and Stuart Hall from Rossendale Aw 6-0 in the welterweight battleground. At the end of January this year, Steve beat Frode 6-0 at the New Years Cup, with total dominance. This time it was a complete reversal and even though Steve feels incredible in training right now, Frode was just grinning and dominating him :blink .....

I didn't stay to the end but it looked like Frode has gone from being completely outclassed 6 months ago to totally dominating the class, I'm sure he won the overall, beating guys who beat Andy Barker and Steve Berriachoa (nice guy, I had a cool chat with him).

In the bantamweight battleground, Kevin Berberich managed to beat and eliminate Dean Scarsbrook (who I train with sometimes) 4-2, and then Kevin went through everyone else to win the overall. Kevin had some incredible power backed up with great technique, respect!

Imo if Dean has been table ready I think he could have beat Kevin and won the overall, the power and things he can do at 65kg are simply unnatural. He's had a really really long time away from aw and to draw Kevin in the first round was a difficult draw for him.

Was a great day, I met a lot of cool people and had some great matches on the side table too. Unfortunately for me I was about the only novice person there at 75kg so I had to pull the big lads, always a challenge!

Edited by mithras

Thanks for the updates! It says in worldofarmwrestling.com that Yoshi beat Michael Todd 5-1 (Michael winning the first match on fouls). I'd like to see Yoshi go against Devon, but, I think there is a huge gap between Devon and Michael... I'll have to wait till the video comes out of Yoshi vs. Michael before I'll predict anything about him vs. Devon, I'm just saying that the gap is big. When Michael's wrist was flopped back, did Yoshi use a press to pin him? So Yoshi and Michael are pulling left handed tomorrow - any predictions? I don't know how good Yoshi's left arm is.

Congrats to all the champions! And btw, it's Simon Berrichoa, not Steve, just so you know. :)

Thanks for the updates! It says in worldofarmwrestling.com that Yoshi beat Michael Todd 5-1 (Michael winning the first match on fouls). I'd like to see Yoshi go against Devon, but, I think there is a huge gap between Devon and Michael... I'll have to wait till the video comes out of Yoshi vs. Michael before I'll predict anything about him vs. Devon, I'm just saying that the gap is big. When Michael's wrist was flopped back, did Yoshi use a press to pin him? So Yoshi and Michael are pulling left handed tomorrow - any predictions? I don't know how good Yoshi's left arm is.

Congrats to all the champions! And btw, it's Simon Berrichoa, not Steve, just so you know. :)

Yeah 5-1 sounds right, I wasn't sure of that first match as I turned away. Yoshi pinned him anyway but must have made another elbow foul. I agree there's a BIG gap between Michael and Devon, and I'd doubt Yoshi can do much to Devon, but we'll have to wait and see. Michael looked really surprised, I could hear him talking to his helpers saying "I can't do anything to him!" or words to that effect.

Yoshi used a press at least once, but in some of the matches he just put him down with side pressure and raw strength. He looked totally in control of the match, it was surprising. I've also got no idea about the left hand match and couldn't make it to Manchester today.

Yeah I know it's Simon, I had to edit out a few mistakes as I was really tired when I got back and missed that one, hehe.

Hey,

I think the name of the romanian guy was puscasu or so...

But mithras, did you see the match between andrei Kopandi and alex voth? Could you tell me something about it? I know it ende 5:1 for Voth but some extra details would be fine.

And did they also pull lefty?? and what was the outcome there??

thanks!!

Don Underwood and Johan Lindholm go 3-3 left handed! Michael Todd beats Yoshi Kanai 6-0 left handed.

Hey,

I think the name of the romanian guy was puscasu or so...

But mithras, did you see the match between andrei Kopandi and alex voth? Could you tell me something about it? I know it ende 5:1 for Voth but some extra details would be fine.

And did they also pull lefty?? and what was the outcome there??

thanks!!

I talked with Voth on sunday morning (I'm his coach :cool ). As I remember he lost one match against Kopandi and one against Barker, both by elbow fouls. He is a versitale puller and can be very effective outside, but I guess his matches were mostly into hook where he is a FORCE.

He was set for lefty matches too, but he didn't pull, as far as I know, because he gave everything he had on saturday.

Kevin's results are impressive. It didn't went so well this year at the nationals were he couldn't place top 4 right hand. Though he had some tough guys in his class (Dimiar Yankov and Ramasan Rabadanov, both on good international level). But now he proved again his quality at the table. I'm sure he benefits from the big experience in his armwrestling club that exists about 20 years already with some internationally well know, experienced and successful pullers. Great job!

Puscasu is a Captain of Crush by the way :rock

It was awesome matches!! yoshi is a monster!! and has the deepest respect for michael and other way! michael got his own back on left arm tearing it up as he does, i hated seeing michael loose but everyone needs goals! i dont think michael had a bad day i geniunly think yoshi was the stronger man on right arm buy the looks of things, the guy was holding and smiling,

http://teammaine.proboards.com/index.cgi?b...p;page=4#216336

Wow - Yoshi is a monster.

Looking forward to that Devon-Yoshi supermatch. :rock

Yeah me too, but, I would like to see Yoshi get tested before facing the champ, a match with him and Ron Bath, John Brzenk, or Andrey Pushkar would be good I think... smiling at Michael Todd while holding him there is freaking insane but I think Devon would do that too.

At the 2008 Nemiroff cup in November, he took 4th in the 210+ right hand class behind Denis Cyplenkov, Tim Bresnan, and Gyorgy Szasz.

Edited by Josh H

Yeah me too, but, I would like to see Yoshi get tested before facing the champ, a match with him and Ron Bath, John Brzenk, or Andrey Pushkar would be good I think... smiling at Michael Todd while holding him there is freaking insane but I think Devon would do that too.

At the 2008 Nemiroff cup in November, he took 4th in the 210+ right hand class behind Denis Cyplenkov, Tim Bresnan, and Gyorgy Szasz.

That's a long way to go in a very short period of time. On second thought, I would like to see other test Yoshi as well because Devon is probably way too much.

Yeah, it's the same with Rich Lupkes though, he beats Nick Zinna easily, everybody wants to see him against Larratt. Give him a shot at somebody slightly lesser than Larratt first... if somebody should go against Larratt, it should be somebody who is proven to be one of the very best - Travis, Brzenk, Pushkar, Cadorette if he beats somebody else besides Travis, and Arsen Liliev if he beats Travis... jmo. If Rich beats Ron Bath next month, then maybe put him against Larrratt. But remember, Devon beat Ron Bath easily in 2007.

Edited by Josh H

Go to 11:30 for Kanai's match with Tim Bresnan: http://www.worldofarmwrestling.com/index.p...iew&id=5643

Give Timmy a good match but nothing Devon couldn't handle... 19:17 against Semerenko... good match but Brzenk flashed Semerenko... then at 20:15 he loses to that Geoff guy... not at all a bad showing and maybe he's improved but I don't see how he could have improved so much that he can do anything to Larratt...

(Video it takes a long time to load)

are we sure neil was really being serious when he asked iof he wanted devon next, i think it was maybe more like do you know who devon is and one day etc ? ......

Sure maybe Yoshi just wants to feel Devon and see what he's got for him (if anything), you gotta know where you stand... or maybe he does think he can beat him or have a chance. I mean Michael Todd was going to have a supermatch with Brzenk last year in November but it got canceled, does Mike think he can beat John? He had his match with Voevoda, too... no different than what Yoshi is doing right??? I can kinda see why, if Neil was paying for my plane ticket and hotel (don't know if he does but I assume so) then I'd go to England to pull Devon, I don't have anything to lose and it'd be fun... I know I wouldn't win the match but free trip to England and get to pull Devon...

are we sure neil was really being serious when he asked iof he wanted devon next, i think it was maybe more like do you know who devon is and one day etc ? ......

He was being deadly serious. I do feel he put Yoshi on the spot a fair bit but he has nothing to lose and said yes without being prompted (he was talking through a translator). I think you'll agree when you see the video that he really dominated Michael Todd, who many people just find impossible to pin, and he did it from multiple angles and techniques. I'm not saying for one minute he's got a realistic chance of beating Devon but that match won't happen overnight so maybe he'll improve even more before hand.

well we know for most people todd is very hard to pin and for him to of beat todd 5-1 must show hes got some good strength and a strong hand im sure.