Cheap Cheap Bumper Plates

Sybersnott

Got a beef. Went into a fitness store that specializes in heavy duty equipment. I saw some bumper plates that I liked and I wanted them so that I can drop a weighted bar on the floor and not make a mess. The guy there told me the price (for obvious reasons I won't disclose what he quoted to me since it may make some of you pass out). You coulda smacked me upside the head and I wouldn't of felt anything after hearing that! :ohmy I left disgusted, but still determined to get my bumpers. Can anyone help me out? He suggested rubber mats, but I don't wanna go that route just yet. Please help!! :cry

Snott, try the York composition plates or give Richard Sorin a call, I think he sells something similar from Bumpers USA. They tolerate repeated dropping much better than rubber coated iron plates which will wear out over time if you don't have a rubber floor.

Guest WesMarden

I just managed to pick up a pair of bumpers that you slip over 45s. Spent ten dollars for 2 of them. Have not used them yet, but the price was right. Maybe you could look around for something like that. It is basically a big thick rubber band with a lip to hold it on the 45s. Like I said I don't know yet how well it works, but it is worth looking for. Jessup has cheap composition plates and I have seen them at the closest play it again sports. Cost is maybe 70 odd dollars for a 45 and about 50 odd dollars for a 25 pounder.

Thanks guys! :happy I'll also do a meta-search, and see if I can find anything. Thanks again! :D

• 2 months later...

UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

"Seek, and ye shall find....."

Lo and behold, I walked into a Play It Again Sports yesterday near where I live, and there they were! :yikes OMG!!! :yikes Yes, my prayers were answered by the lifting gods! :inno Two very rusty Marcy 45 pound bumpers. I asked the guy what he wanted for them... he told me 34 cents a pound :stuart ... I bought them on the spot.

I will now paint them and start using them. :rock

Sybersnott,

You have been very lucky shopping at Play it again sports....the most I've ever found at play it again sports nearest me is use hex dumbells.

How many goodies have you got from that chain now???

Jon@han

If automobile tires could be adapted to a bar, then

of course, then they could serve as the inside plate

on each side- the Arnold Classic used such a bar for the

Hummer deadlift.

This setup is even less damaging to the floor, and other

plates of less diameter can be adjacent the tires.

Roark,

I thought about that. It was more expensive to do the tire gig that it was to get the bumpers! But I got my bumpers and I'm happy about that.

Jonathan,

I visit five different P.I.A.'s at various times, so I know what is where... and I figure I've dropped at least a few hundred so far (depending on what I need at the time). I like to look for the used stuff, then I talk to who's in charge and we talk about it (i.e., getting the price lowered even more). I did see one of those Pavel kettlebells today, but it looked fairly new and the price was NOT reasonable. Used weight plates are definitely the best bargin. I've been looking for York DB's - the big ones - with no luck so far. But I keep looking! ;)

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

Syber you lucky dog you! :bow

I have wanted bumper plates for a while now. I've looked and called but to no avail :angry:

We used to have a play it again sports around here but it is gone now.

I am getting certified as a personal trainer. Do you guys think that I might be able to use working at a gym to my advantage in getting some bumper plates and stuff?

Robby,

The best thing that I can tell you is to use your gym to get a vendor discount (since you are the gym and not part of the public). They will sell to gyms for a lot less; the problem might be that you'll have to order a lot just to get that discount.

Yeah, I did luck out. But I was persistant, I kept looking, and it paid off! :D

Jonathan,

Yes, the setup became tiresome, and my interest

flattened, but I jacked it back up by peeling into a

new level. A radical radial approach and by using a

Fairbar my forearms became steel-belted.

Don't tread on me :laugh