My First Hammer Bend

jpmmkrahling

I am just getting back into bending after letting my hands recover. But i have done a couple of horshoes during my recovery, just no DO in a couple of weeks. I have also been working on my braced bending and it is coming along. I did not do this in one day. It actually took me a couple of days. but once i got a good kink it i was able to kill it 2 tries after that. I think i can do it faster next time so i will try and get it on video. It just gets expensive, but it is alot of fun bending something everyone can relate to.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8976

Now it is time to get back to DO & reverse with single wraps again. It is not easy to train for all 4 events at the SSS in Texas, but it is helping with my anger management.

Nice job! Boy those do get expensive and FAST.

Tim

What does braced mean? Did you put it in a vise or something?

Rico

What does braced mean? Did you put it in a vise or something?

Rico

Rico,

Braced just means that you can brace it against your body. It realy does work your alot more of your body then you think. You shoudl try it some time, i do not live that far away. we can meet up and do some bending some time if you want to get into it, let me know

Edited by Mike K

That looks wrong.

Awesome feat, Mike!

Awesome bend. I tried a Kobalt framing hammer once and took it to about 75 degrees. Man did that work areas of me body I didn't realize I had.

nice job that thing looks sweet! how did you bend it anyway. over your thigh? im a braced bending noob lol

nice job that thing looks sweet! how did you bend it anyway. over your thigh? im a braced bending noob lol

I started it by pulling over my knee, then i pulled it from behind my thighs. Followed by rushing it between my thighs. I did it the same way as my video below. It is hard to explain how i do it.

Nice work Mike! If you ever come up, I'll make sure to hide my hammers :D

good stuff Mike, can't wait to see you in September

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW! what level do you have to be at to be able to do that.. and a wrench?! that's SICK!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW! what level do you have to be at to be able to do that.. and a wrench?! that's SICK!!!

If you can bend a 10" spike, the hammer isn't far off. Give it a shot, you may surprise yourself ;)

If you can bend a 10" spike, the hammer isn't far off. Give it a shot, you may surprise yourself ;)

I can bend a 8 inch spike easily and cant do that hammer its a tough one !!! Nice Bend Mike !!!

I'm sure every hammer is different, this was the first framing hammer i found that was only $10. For comparison, i bent a 12-1/2" x 1/2" CRS bar about 6 months ago. That took me under 5 min. This hammer was 12" and i could not even do it in the same day. I did the hard 10" spike and it was still pretty easy. But i do agree with Carl about trying it. I suprised myself, After the first try i figured it would only be an ISO bar, so anything is posible. You never know what you can bend until you try it. You could also try a 22 oz framing hammer, they are about 16" so the extra length would give you some more leverage.

good stuff Mike, can't wait to see you in September

I think we are all going to have alot of fun!!!! I can't wait

Thank you everyone for you comments. It is still really nice to have a bunch of guys that appreciate what we do for a hobby. Most of my friends & family just think i am nuts.

I feel better that you could not kill the hammer on your first shot Jim, so i guess it really is a tougher hammer then. Remember, your hammer bend is what gave me the idea in the first place. Now i just need to get it on video, i may try it tomorrow night, i'll keep you guys updated.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to dig up this post and confirm what I already suspected to be the case. That hammer is tough! Mike was kind enough to actually send me the same hammer!!! Over my shin on one leg to thirty degrees felt not too bad, but that only served to give me a pocket full of false confidence. It was a serious battle taking it the next 15 degrees between my legs (one of my bending weaknesses), but from there it eases up significantly and it actually snapped in two at probably just past the point you see Mike's hammer. I didn't intend for that to happen. I kind of wanted to keep the intact trophy. Thanks again Mike! It's always fun to be able to try the same piece of steel, horseshoe, or tool that someone else bends on the board.