Lost Strength

Kormaz

So here's the situation:

I finally closed the #3 on June 15th after buying the #2.5 and making quite a bit of progress in a short space of time. Since then i have not been able to close the #3, purely due to the fact that i'm apparently not strong enough. For a couple of days before i closed it and for a week afterwards i did not train like i normally would, all i did was try and close the #3 a few times each day (and succeed). After that i started to get back into my normal routine and since then i have not been able to close it, although it seems to be getting slightly closer. My question is this: has anyone else ever experienced a strength loss like this before and did you ever regain that strength? I don't seem to have done anything different other than maybe eat less protein than normal and i have not had a contrast bath for a good while purely because i haven't felt the need to do one. As regards to how much weaker i have gotten, i can still get it to within 5-6mm of closing but then i hit a wall as i had been doing while training to eventually close it.

Any replies are appreciated.

So here's the situation:

I finally closed the #3 on June 15th after buying the #2.5 and making quite a bit of progress in a short space of time. Since then i have not been able to close the #3, purely due to the fact that i'm apparently not strong enough. For a couple of days before i closed it and for a week afterwards i did not train like i normally would, all i did was try and close the #3 a few times each day (and succeed). After that i started to get back into my normal routine and since then i have not been able to close it, although it seems to be getting slightly closer. My question is this: has anyone else ever experienced a strength loss like this before and did you ever regain that strength? I don't seem to have done anything different other than maybe eat less protein than normal and i have not had a contrast bath for a good while purely because i haven't felt the need to do one. As regards to how much weaker i have gotten, i can still get it to within 5-6mm of closing but then i hit a wall as i had been doing while training to eventually close it.

Hey:

Many factors can come into play, but the ones I think in this case is just that your normal training takes more of a toll on your grip then when you are fully rested - therefore you aren't closing the #3 when you're training in full effect.

I'm the same way as you in regards to on days when I train, I suddenly can't close the #2.5 and on days when I just mess around and I'm rested, the #2.5 is shut and even held for a few seconds.

More important than contrast baths is actual rest & nutrition.

Less protein, vitamins, or minerals in your diet can also make a difference in your progress and actual strength PR's.

You're still young and looking strong! There is plenty of time for you to make those last few steps to certify and I know you will do it. I'm wondering - all the grip training you've done, in which areas have you felt the soreness hours or a day later?

What does your training consist of?

My grip strength is like a rollercoaster. I think it's normal. Just don't get discouraged and keep traing thru the tough stuff, youll be smackin those handles together again in no time.

If you stay in strength training for a few decades- you'll see your strength ebb and flow quite often - it's the natural order of things.

So here's the situation:

Hey:

Many factors can come into play, but the ones I think in this case is just that your normal training takes more of a toll on your grip then when you are fully rested - therefore you aren't closing the #3 when you're training in full effect.

I'm the same way as you in regards to on days when I train, I suddenly can't close the #2.5 and on days when I just mess around and I'm rested, the #2.5 is shut and even held for a few seconds.

More important than contrast baths is actual rest & nutrition.

Less protein, vitamins, or minerals in your diet can also make a difference in your progress and actual strength PR's.

You're still young and looking strong! There is plenty of time for you to make those last few steps to certify and I know you will do it. I'm wondering - all the grip training you've done, in which areas have you felt the soreness hours or a day later?

What does your training consist of?

Thanks. Well i train every 3 days, that is two full rest days in between training and i stick to that. The only areas of grip training that give me muscular pain the next day are pinch training (in the area between thumb and index finger) and when using the powerball. At the moment i'm back to doing what i had to been doing up to my first #3 close i.e. warmup with#1 and #2 then reps with #2.5 to failure and then holding it at the last rep. I'm also doing negatives with the #3 and BB elite at the moment.

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you think this sudden loss could be anything to do with the fast progress i made? The week before i shut the #3 i was a fair distance from closing it and started getting very close very quickly, maybe i pushed it a bit and am now suffering the consequences?

Grippers for me can go from being 'on' to being 'off' in a matter of a week. This is normal. If you are doing a lot of thick bar work / supporting grip work and grippers a day of 2 days after they will nearly always be off. I don't think it is an issue of strength loss.

I think its normal, cant be peaked all the time. my strength on different things can go down a ton during a hard training cycle. Always rebounds when I give myself enough rest to let it happen.

- Aaron

I think its normal, cant be peaked all the time. my strength on different things can go down a ton during a hard training cycle. Always rebounds when I give myself enough rest to let it happen.

- Aaron

So do you think i should maybe take more rest in between workouts? It's quite discouraging that i made so much progress and now seem to have gone right back to where i was a couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason :( The only reason i have two days in between workouts is because i never actually feel sore after them btw. Sam - the only supporting grip work i do is when deadlifting DO every 3 days or so and i don't focus on grip when doing that, simply use DO for a few reps to test my grip, nothing overboard. Regular powerlifting almost every day as well but i'm following a cycle made by a friend of mine that has deadlift roughly every 3 days with squat spaced like that and bench every other day. I've never actually tried thickbar either.

- Aaron

So do you think i should maybe take more rest in between workouts? It's quite discouraging that i made so much progress and now seem to have gone right back to where i was a couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason :( The only reason i have two days in between workouts is because i never actually feel sore after them btw. Sam - the only supporting grip work i do is when deadlifting DO every 3 days or so and i don't focus on grip when doing that, simply use DO for a few reps to test my grip, nothing overboard. Regular powerlifting almost every day as well but i'm following a cycle made by a friend of mine that has deadlift roughly every 3 days with squat spaced like that and bench every other day. I've never actually tried thickbar either.

If you feel the urgent need to know that you can do it, yeah you could take 2-3 extra days of rest and then try you grippers inbetween sets of say bench or squats. That way your muscles and CNS should both be more rested / recovered and your body would be warmed up with your CNS working at a much higher efficiency.

Otherwise Let it ride as long as you dont think you are overtraining and let up some every 4th week or so.

- Aaron

Peak strength can fluctuate greatly, base strength however will remain a little more constant and can give a better indication of progress over time.

Keep a record of all closes and over time you should notice, even with peaks and troughs, a general upward trend! ;)

Softly softly catchee monkey. :)

- Aaron

If you feel the urgent need to know that you can do it, yeah you could take 2-3 extra days of rest and then try you grippers inbetween sets of say bench or squats. That way your muscles and CNS should both be more rested / recovered and your body would be warmed up with your CNS working at a much higher efficiency.

Otherwise Let it ride as long as you dont think you are overtraining and let up some every 4th week or so.

- Aaron

You've actually summed it up very well Aaron, it is the need to know that i can do it that is important to me. Even though i have done it in the past i'm the sort of person that needs that constant reassurance that i can still perform to be happy :) Autolupus - i have actually made progress with my #2.5 i got a PR yesterday of 8 reps which was good. As regards to base strength i have still been able to rep #2.5 all the way through which is encouraging i think. It's actually only my right hand that feels weaker as of late, i've been making gains with my left hand and recently closed #2.5 for the first time :D According to my workout schedule i should be training again on friday but i will leave it until Sunday or Monday and see whats what. Thanks for your opinions and advice guys :)

I hear this happens all the time at the gripboard. I've personally never noticed a loss of strength unless I was cold or severely overtrained my hands. Ensure that you're properly warmed up. We had a discussion about this before and some members noticed significant increases in strength when hot. Also, do squats to up those testosterone levels :cool

drink first, i know it sounds weird, but schwarzenegger did it. he'd mix rum into his protein shakes. the achohol jacks your blood sugar way up. add caffeine too. like a starbucks frap w/2 shots of crown royal(not on menu).

DON'T drink first! Alcohol will lower the feedback your brain gets from your body, which will result in overtraining and injuries.

drink first, i know it sounds weird, but schwarzenegger did it. he'd mix rum into his protein shakes. the achohol jacks your blood sugar way up. add caffeine too. like a starbucks frap w/2 shots of crown royal(not on menu).

See, i could try that but i'm still a year under the legal age to drink here so it's not gonna happen lol.

Did a contrast bath yesterday because the top half of my right forearm feels quite sore (muscular) which is hopefully a good sign, continuing to rest now until sunday or monday at least :)

Guest Bullitt
Try a strong coffee before your workout!!!!

A large blackeye from starbucks usually does the trick for me. (large black coffee w/ 2 shots of espresso). I put a little ice in it so I can shoot it down straight away.

A large blackeye from starbucks usually does the trick for me. (large black coffee w/ 2 shots of espresso). I put a little ice in it so I can shoot it down straight away.

Sounds great! Energy drinks are good aswell, you have some awsesome ones in the US!

If i tried that with whatever's in the house how long would i have to wait before i worked out? Sounds like it might take a lil while to take effect.

I always have a caffeinated beverage half an hour before training!

It's lucky that i've developed a taste for coffee then cuz i'm gonna try anything to get back up to where i was :) I have to say i'm really feeling pumped and optimistic about this rest, don't feel noticeably different at the moment but this will be the longest rest i've had in a while so hopefully good things will come out of it! :rock

Have a coffee now and train! When i rest for too long i lose a lot of my grippers.

Well, according to my training schedule i should be doing grippers today (as in friday, later on) but i'm gonna give myself another 2 days or so to fully rest and see how i do. If i hit the grippers now i'd only have rested for two days as usual and i want to see if resting for longer will make a difference :)