Globe Dumbbells - Inch & Mdb

Bill Piche

Rotation or moreso STOPPING of rotation is KEY to lifting these IMO. Obviously the bigger the hand the better as well.

Discussion anyone?

So, is it thumb strength that stops the rotation? Is there anything specific one can do to combat the rotation?

Or, how about technique?

Yep two grip novices Sean McCabe and Mike Dean are better on our Dumbell than Josh is..they just swallow that thing up...with their hands..Plus they have huge full body power advantage over Josh and I.

In other words...say a lift with 200 on the 2 3/8 handle 'feels'light to them because:

A.Their Hands ENCIRCLE the DB(or rolling thunder)-so because of their say 3/4"(maybe even 7/8") inch? hand length advantage- it's like josh lifting a 1 3/4 inch dumbell and me lifting a 1 1/2"dumbell.........

B.200lbs is NOTHING to them...as their overall brute strength is WAY beyond mine or Josh's.

C.Perhaps their thumb does not experience as much pressure (as a smaller hand)because their extra finger length takes on more pressure/weight?

BUT i think with a lot of Thumb work- a slightly smaller hand can catch up??Again we are all grip newbies(Sean and Mike being novices :blink )so nobody has even thought of doing any thumb exercises?

I guess-of course-the more you do the 2 3/8 solid dumbell -or the more often you train with it-...the stronger the thumb gets?(or in my case.. I can't lift the 180 yet..the Rolling Thunder lift..)

I too have noticed that you need to stop the rotation of thick handeled dumbells. I think that the wrist is as important as the thumb. If I don't keep my wrist flexed my Turk will roll right outta my hand.

Mabey heavy wrist curls or plate curls will help the wrist on thick handles.

-HH

The rotation is ALWAYS toward the thumb because it

cannot sustain resistance against four fingers and a palm.

Perhaps somehow adding weight to the globes at

'three o'clock'-the back of your hand side, may counter-

act that rotation.

Or, drill a hole in the handle and wear a thumb stud-ring.

(I cannot take credit for this last idea :D )

The rotation is ALWAYS toward the thumb because it

cannot sustain resistance against four fingers and a palm.

Perhaps somehow adding weight to the globes at

'three o'clock'-the back of your hand side, may counter-

act that rotation.

Or, drill a hole in the handle and wear a thumb stud-ring.

(I cannot take credit for this last idea :D )

Could that be the almighty Thomas Inch Roark? :bow

Wanna,

Was playing around with some of the other suggestions then tried a '1 finger and thumb' Rolling Thunder.It caused the Thumb to 'hold on'and do MORE work.Did some for time.

The Thumb works extra hard.And I have a better mind/muscle link with it....it HAS to hold on...if that makes any sense.

With all the fingers(at this point in my training)the Thumb doesn't 'want'to do much..even though my Rolling Thunder poundages are respectable....

Give it a try,I'm going to try to go up 2.5 lbs a week and hold as long as possible..after doing my regular rolling thunder w/o?OR? maybe once in a while I'l/ do 'one finger and thumb'before the rgular lifts???

The ol thumb may need a few days off and some ice after the experiments...

Interesting points.

Steve not to take anythink away from your awesome abilities on the thick d/bells and wrist strength(weaver lift)and as you have already conquired the inch,do you think that having a good pinch is the secret.If so maybe David and Richard should coment being 2 of the best pinchers on the planet! :rolleyes

P.s.sorry steve didnt mean to say that you have a poo pinch,only not in the same league as David and Richards! :blush

No offense Gazza. On differing days, with different lifts and with and without training we all have lifts we are good at. Without a doubt both Richard and David would kick my butt on Pinch lifts. However, as per the tip in David Horne's Iron Grip course, one can 'pinch' and 'twist' (the so-called plate-snapping technique). With that the thumb, as is its normal role, acts as a stabilizer or anchor. The fingers, spread wide, have the other 80% of effort/force applied.

My technique, detailed elsewhere and subject to much scrutiny as you are all well aware isn't just to use the thumb but also the opposing side of the hand (running down from the pinkie) as a 'brake' by placing against a globe. My training partner favours the thumb/index finger side against plates. Loading more on one side than another can help with keeping the bell balanced.

One thing, which I am seeing eveidence of, is the need (as mentioned many times in my posts on this subject) is to overload a plate loaded bell in order to lift a solid bell. I favour 30-50 pounds more. Then, as per Oldguys thoughts, one could practise lifting the bell for form and height.

I also think that any changing of the rotational forces will make it "different" when adding extra weight. I have been able to add 10lbs to my bell with two standard 5's and duct tape and I feel the rotation is even worse now. However, any adding of weight making it WORSE with respect to rotation is probably a good thing.

Using thick handled foam grips on dumbbells seems to work for me. I bought and cut in half one of those squat cervical pads and use them around regular dumbbell handles. I'd guess they're between 2 and 2.5". Then I use them to do snatches, 4 sets of 6 reps with an 80lb dumbbell. You have to hang on for dear life.