Thumb Strength

Tom of Iowa2

Could some one give us some Thumb specific exercises?

We do have a lot of grip equipment already-and can weld some stuff up or machine it if needed.......

We also have a SOLID 2 3/8" 180lb dumbell....which can have plates loaded for more.

And pre loaded small handle dumbells up to 187.5(in case there is anything we can do with them for thumbs)

Thumb exercises anyone? :D

Anything where the four fingers opposing the thumb cannot move-that is, where the thumb has to go all the

way to the fingers- not meet them 'half-way'.

You have Hammer Strength's grip machine. Try kneeling

in front of it-facing it with the four fingers on the top

grip bar and the thumbs on the lower grip bar- so the

thumbs must move up to meet the fingers, and the fingers, though tensed, cannot travel. :blink

i finally tried the softball lift yesterday, and my thumbs are incredibly sore today. i think it's one of the best i've found for the thumbs. also, i made myself a 2.5" wrist roller. with heavier poundages it worked my thumbs pretty well too.

Thanks..keep the ideas comeing.We NEED thumbs :blink

Roark,

I'll kneel in front of that HAMMER STRENGTH gripper...as long as someone isn't sitting on the other side.......THAT would not make a good photo. :D

Block weights! :rock

Buy some solid cast dumbells, get a hacksaw and cut the handle out.

Hold the blocks in a pinch grip and do all sorts of exercizes: farmers, clean and press, hammer curl, toss 'em, etc...

-HH

Tom Of Iowa2,

You should take some pics of the stuff you have! :D Sounds very interesting, and I like your approach to homemade-building grip equipment! :bow

You can strain your thumb easily on this one but its a good exercise. Thumb pressing - Make a strap w/a loop (I use an old weight strap) then attach it to your loading pin or whatever. Simply do overhead pressing using your thumb. It was awkward for me at first but it really made my thumbs sore.

Snott,

Should be forwarding some pics-to the gallery- of the 2 3/8" wrist roller and the big 180solid dumbell and our WRENCH facsimile in a few days.

We have a lot of homemade stuff...BUT we've spent a lot of dough$$$$$$ with Iron Mind and of course our Bastardized HAMMER STRENGTH gripper wasn't free :laugh ...just want the posible 'sponsors'out there to know we BUY stuff too$$$$$$$$$$$ and we believe in supporting american business. :blush

We'd like to buy a Sorin G-Rex...taking up a collection(really)..gym owner is all tapped out for now...my knees are still sore from begging her to buy us the 'IM :Big Block! :whistel

********************************************BTW:Just came up with what seems to hit thumb pretty good:ONE finger and thumb Rolling Thunder holds...Wanna grip try this FORCES the Thumb to play a more impoartant role in the lift.It forces the Thumb to somehow squeeze harder.i just hit 117#with it and held on for time..the thumb worked hard!!!!!!!!For us shorter fingered guys THIS..along with everybody elses suggestions should help.

As mg6680 says in the above reply,you could also do this with

ringweights hanging off of the thumb also shot put ball juggling

shot put balls can also be used for the softball tecknique! :D

mg6680 since you have been useing the Little big horn,how do you

feel it hits the thumb!

Well...Its rusting faster than I use it...For me the best way to use the BH for the thumb is to do leveraging to the inside w/the thumb down - it hits the thumb pretty good. When I do thick bar stuff I get more of a whole hand workout than just a thumb. I'd like to try Tom's idea of doing RT (or BH) w/just a finger and thumb though.