Grip Pic Of The Year

Jonathan McMillan

Ok, I tried to vote Tom Black's juggling picture but it wasn't from this year.

How about that plate curl? in Decembers Milo :stuart

Hee hee

Jon@han

It is hard to pick just one isn't it!

The Nathen Holle comments got me thinking. I really did the pic of the four brothers closing the number #3 all at once from below in the Ironmind Catolgue. Too bad the resolution is the bits though, still for artistic merit -it's a damn cool composition.

Jon@han

BTW has anyone ever made lifting awkward things look so easy as when Mark Henry does it???

It may sound biased to vote for because I took the shot, but the picture of Slim with the 17-pound hammers overhead has my vote. Second would be Mark Henry's lift. I tip my hat to age as well as strength, but its a hard choice between the two. I think the composition of the Slim picture is better. All chaos broke out with the Henry lift and it was hard to get the shot.

Of course the Mark Henry photo I'm talking about is the INCH clean and press....

But the pic of the Appolon axle clean and press by Mark is right up there....again covers so many aspects of strength.

Any pic of Slim is always cool :cool ..big respect-but I think Mark pushed the envelope this year?

Oh yes, it was Marks Inch lift that I was referring to as well. Yes, he pushed the envelope compared to Slim. Of course, Slim's been out of the envelope for so long that he incomparable.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I like the one of all the Holle brothers together. I feel that is amazing that all of them can close the #3. Are ther any other brothers that can do this ?

Harlan

I think the Gillingham familly also have 3 or 4 that can close the 3#.

My grip pic would be Mark Henry,s supreme test of all over body strength,because as somebody who owns an inch replica and nowhere

near lifting it offof the floor yet,to put it overhead 1 handed the way that Mark did is power personifide! :blink

Harlan,

You are correct, the Gillingham's Dad (Gale) has closed the #3 and is certified on it. He has also (according to an interview with Wade) routinely pinched 2x45lb plates, amongst many other feats.

The most amazing photo/footage? In my view Mark Henry's Inch lift. But that may soon change if the MB can be elevated later today.....

Edited by The Mac

I'll have to go listen to the Slim video again, but I thought those hammers were 26 lbs. 17 lbs makes no sense because they were 16 lb hammers with extra weights attached. The axe from the other video was over 20 as well I think.

But Mark's cleaning of the Inch bell is absolutely awesome, and he would definitely deadlift two Inch replicas, and probably bloody walk with them as well!

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you all, and Best Wishes for 2003.

David

Too boundaried for me to pick just one photo- would rather see 'Top photos of the year', because of the

various disciplines involved in hand strength.

Had someone closed a 4, would that have been more

remarkable than Henry's clean and push press with the

Inch- I do not know the answer to that except to say

that Hnery's feat was a first, whereas it is reputed that

a 4 has been closed before. Further, if overall body power

is involved, then the clean moves to the front, because it

is possible to build huge crushing power without the strength of other body parts involved in a clean.

So rather than make distinctions, why not have 'Top 10'

photos of the year or whatever? This would allow each

category of grip strength to be represented without

comparisons.

If Horne or Mobster lifts the MB fully one hand deadlift,

then that feat must be in the running.

With no disrepect meant toward David or Mobster, the

partial lifting of the MB or the partial deadlifting of two Inch replicas, while both requiring world class efforts, can

be likened to the half-way closing of a #4- amazing but

not the finished photo feat under discussion, and I hasten

to add that even with the tilt beginning of Mobster's MB

effort, which when I explained to Brian Schoonveld, he commented words to the effect, 'Getting that thing off the

floor by any means is remarkable'- showing respect for

Mob's strength. By the way, Brian tried it with one end

propped up ala Mobster- but it was not to be.

Likewise, Horne's two Inch replicas effort- where the

suitcase style of positioning is demanded, and the hands

almost touch the shoe-tops at the start- amazing.

But in both cases when each man completes those lifts-

as each will next year (without injury) those will be photos

which will merit permanent places in history. :bow