Bk Sportsmag Article

Tom Black

I don’t remember anyone posting this link before on the British Iron Grip Championships. I stumbled on it using a Google search. Can’t read I thing, but there are some good pictures there. I’m guessing that is David’s gripper display and Library. Looks like it was written by Arne Persson

http://www.bk-sportsmag.se/greppstyrka/bri...pionships_2002/

Can't read a thing, either. But besides the pictures of the competitors, what I really found interesting was the 'display' wall photo of all of the grip toys. What a museum piece! :yikes

Nice collection, nice article.....even though I can't read it either.

David, gotta say you look tougher with the shaved head :D

Pat,

Maybe. But it's cold here, so I have my winter locks on. Anyway, at my age it's nice to still have some hair!

David

Very true, better to have the option of being bald than be stuck with it. So far I'm lucky too! I figured it was temperature related :cool

Isn't it obvious? Steve wants to know what it says about him :D

How about:

Totalt outstanding var Steve Gardener som klarade 83 kg och visade därmed sin särklass i "Thick Handle Lifting".

I bet it says something like: Steve Gardener was totally outstanding, lifting 83kg, earning his nickname, the Thick Bar Daddy.

Guest Mikael Siversson
Isn't it obvious? Steve wants to know what it says about him :D

How about:

Totalt outstanding var Steve Gardener som klarade 83 kg och visade därmed sin särklass i "Thick Handle Lifting".

I bet it says something like: Steve Gardener was totally outstanding, lifting 83kg, earning his nickname, the Thick Bar Daddy.

Close.

Steve Gardener was totally outstanding, lifting 83kg, thereby demonstrating his superiority in thick bar lifting.

"särklass" can also be interpreted as ...in a class of his own...

Ho ho - anyone could see that is what it said. Nah it would have been nice to get another view of the event. If what I was able to get translated is anything to go by they had a great time.

Sorry! Tomorrow I'll ask B&K about to do an english version.

I've been collecting physical culture memorabilia for about 15 years, and in that time my grip related items have increased. I have more than 100 or so grippers, but I don't know the exact number. My oldest grip related items are from around 1820, I also have a photocopied booklet of the Regnier dynamometer from 1798.

David

Of the 100 I have 2 faves. One is a Warren washisname gripper with steel and chrome handles (I think) which are slick and it feels like a 4 plus and hardly budges at all and the other is a plastic kiddies toy with a tiny spring and when squeezed to its fullest extent says I have the grip of a gorilla.

Seriously, everytime I go to David's there will be a small crowd of people who haven't been before standing in front of the Gripper wall (there are boxes underneath with PDA labels on the handles of the grippers - there not being enough room on the wall) and you feel like you should light a candle as they appear to be standing in front of a shrine!

To the left of the 'shrine' are 2 old fashioned dynometers which have been featured in David's Iron Grip magazine.

Very cool...Mayby you can get some pics w/a short history caption on some of the more interesting pieces? I'm sure a lot of us would love to see some of the pieces, but cant afford the ticket to England.

If David doesn't I'd love to. Depending on David's wishes I will either ask him to bring along a few and if I have time I will ask questions on them on Jan 18th as a feature for here, Iron Grip and my mag or, if you don't mind waiting, doing the same when I next get to Stafford. David??

I had planned on doing an article on them for Iron Grip. I'd prefer to run this in my mag first then of course I don't mind including part of it here. To do it right, it will take a bit of time. There are more now in my collection than the last time you saw it. I also have a wall mounted weight selector grip machine from the 1890's. Elizabeth's dad and I renovated this and it's now affixed to the wall.

David

Shrine, museum, altar, sanctuary, gallery, exhibit, arsenal... all are apt words for David's collection. When I saw it I did almost want to bow down (but I was enjoying a proper tea and didn't want to spill ;)). And then there's all the journals, magazines, books, videos, etc... I'm very impressed with David's dedication and love for physical culture.

BC.

Hm! I really hope that my own poor english is better.