Adding Weight To An Inch Replica

David Horne

Bill,

I'll email the photo to you, note Chris James in the background.

I want the photo linked to this post as it will explain the apparatus and the need for it. I have had a Inch replica for a few weeks now, and have enjoyed using it. I can pull it with either hand to about mid stomach height. This dumbell I had borrowed and I was able to purchase another one from Nathan Holle, hence I 'killed two birds with one stone' and visited Chris James and picked up the other dumbell. Prior to the visit I had tried to work out how I could add weight to the replica without damaging it, as it's beautiful and expensive. I tried strapping discs to the bottom and top of the globes with knee wraps! This worked for a while, then all the discs slipped off on to my hand! I didn't want to have to use a plate loaded thick bar as it's not the same. I came up with making a wooden cradle, which Elizabeth Talbot simplified. I then built it. The wood cost about £3.60. So it's a cheap training tool. Basically it hangs off the two globes and has positions for weight at all four corners to add resistance. I will be doing a proper article for Iron Grip, and also will be giving the equipment a good testing in the mean time. Anyway, this apparatus was built the day before my visit to Chris's, and I'd thought I'd take it down to show Chris so he could build one if he wants to. Whilst there Chris asked me to have a go, and well the rest is history. On that day, I had 3 attempts adding weight as I went along. The final weight being 103.09k (226.6lb), which consited of a 78k dumbell, 3k apparatus, 4 x 1 1/4k, 4 x 5lb, and 4 x 2k discs. This is not a record, or the Millenium bell, which I hope to have a go at soon. But it's a training tool being experimented with. By the way, the cradle sits over the top, and was made slightly bigger so that it would allow the globe dumbell to rotate. We will see how this experiment works, I may have to adapt or whatever, but at least it's a way of making the Inch globe dumbell adjustable.

Hope this helps, train hard, David

Bill,

I'm actualy training for the grip contest in Sweden, but since I've bought the replica I want to train for the Millenium bell which I'll do sometime next year. I'm going to have a go on Sunday to see if I can deadlift the two replicas at the same time.

I'm glad this has all been sorted out, David

So far as I know, no one has yet deadlifted two Inch

bells at the same time.

One reason of course is that very few locations offer two

bells, and the other reason is the brutal strength needed

to accomplish the simultaneous deadlift.

Good luck! If you succeed, you will, I suspect, remain the

lightest bodyweight man to accomplish the feat for quite some time.

It appears that the additional weight is just a bit higher than the bell's handle- this must add to the tendency for the bell to rotate more?

Plus the width of the box makes you assume a wider stance than you would prefer, right?

Next up, an Inch 172 with the handle going all the way thru each sphere and extending about 5" past on each side for additional plate loading. Of course the ends would

have to be milled down for plates to fit. :ohmy

I'm glad you mentioned bell rotation as I recall a story about Dave Proswe's first efforts with the Inch being one of the bell in a crate / packing box (which came with it). The version I heard stated that the crate was tight and therefore, due to its design, it would stop the bell wanting to turn.

That said the apparatus doesn't look that tight, the bell is almost level and dave was my equal when we both had a go at the OH dinner.

WOW!I think Roark is right.With that weight topside it appears that is makes the lift more difficult?maybe not?..but Very impressive...the width of it mentally distracting?awkward? too..which- again -in my mind makes it perhaps tougher on the grip.....

Thanks for the pic.

I'll be sending in a photo of our 2 3/8",180pounder.We welded the plates together-solid- then welded it all solid to the handle.We can then add plates.Not saying it has the same feel as a real INCH but should be close?

It took two hours to weld up and was made from scrap though.......free :D

Joe,

Good idea about a Inch globe replica with bars at the ends. For the time being I'll make do with this bell and add weight, or even get myself a bigger dumbell made. Yes a slightly wider stance is taken, but not a great difference really.

Steve,

Yes the bell does rotate as Chris can testify. But as I said, this is an experiment and I'll keep an eye on it. I think I'm better now on the dumbell. When I tried it at the OHF dinner, I had done no thick bar work prior. By the way, are you bringing your Millenium bell to your do at Pullums?

Tom,

Thanks. Time will tell if it's tougher. But I think it's a positive step in training to lift the Millenium bell.

David

David I hope so - one of my brothers and my daughter will be coming and he's giving me a lift. I'll still need you to fetch the Weaver Stick apparatus. If 'Gazza' can get a lift he's bringing a load of stuff as well.

As for an even bigger dumbbell don't forget Stan Pike and his idea of a 270 pounder!

Steve,

Good news about the dumbell being there. Remind me about the weaver apparatus near the time. As for Stan's idea of a 270lb bell, I don't think that will be of any use to me, apart from rolling it around! Maybe Mark Henry could find a use for it.

David

Steve,

For the uninitiated (ie. me) could you give us some more details of Stan Pike's idea for a 270-lber? It does ring a bell. Would it be called the "Next-Millenium" dumbell, by any chance??

Edited by The Mac

Basically it would be made up of the biggest globes he can use to make Kettlebells or to put it another way the largest amount of metal he can handle in the workshop freehanded (he makes bigger items but uses frames etc to hold them).

He rang me after the earlier lift and asked if I had looked at his board http://www.sound-ideas.net/intensefitness/...s/wwwboard.html and I did and we had a chat about it. Now I'm not sure what he will be doing. Possibly bringing it to the Jan thing or (one suggestion) auctioning it off at the OH dinner. I suspect I couldn't afford it and I have had an offer for another slightly cheaper bit of kit in the new year.

Feel free to email him and ask.

David

Nice lift!

How is the training going with the 2 inch replicas,how far are you off

deadlifting the pair.

Its worth attending the British Grip Champs just to see David,s collection

of grip memoramilia as Brian Carlton can varify,also the hospitality by

David,Elizabeth,familly and friends is second to none!