Closing The #3

mkjet7060

The past few months I have been trying to this damn CoC #3 closed and I keep getting to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of having it but cant get that last bit. Currently I have been training grip 3 times a week. My gripper training looks like this:

4-6 attempts on the #3 with a few minutes rest in between each attempt

then

4-6 closes on the #2

At this point I am wondering if maybe trying to do some singles on the #4 would help as I am not seeming to get anywhere at this moment. Does anyone have any tips on what else I should do? I usually will do some levering after my gripper work and sometimes some plate wrist curls. Thanks.

Guest Bullitt
The past few months I have been trying to this damn CoC #3 closed and I keep getting to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of having it but cant get that last bit. Currently I have been training grip 3 times a week. My gripper training looks like this:

4-6 attempts on the #3 with a few minutes rest in between each attempt

then

4-6 closes on the #2

At this point I am wondering if maybe trying to do some singles on the #4 would help as I am not seeming to get anywhere at this moment. Does anyone have any tips on what else I should do? I usually will do some levering after my gripper work and sometimes some plate wrist curls. Thanks.

Might want to try a 2.5. Jump from 2 to 3 is a BIG one.

Unfortunately I dont have the funds right now to purchase a 2.5 or a kta program as ive been out of work the past few months. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Do BFNs with the #3 in the 1/2" range. That'll do it.

Sorry im kinda new to all this, but what are BFN's? Thanks.

Hey im also training to close the #3 .. im not sure what BFN stands for but i am guessing Big Fat Negative? .. but anyways my friend that got me into grip training had a choker on his #3 which is a washer and it provides that 1/2 range for closing .. just by closing it with the choker got me a lot closer to closing the #3 all the way with out it .. im planning on buying one and hopefully it should help .. im guessing you can get one for around 4 bucks ...

It's better to buy a hose clamp, they're nice and cheap and they are adjustable so you can change the choked distance very easily. BFN stands for bounce forced negatives. These are basically doing a negative and once the gripper starts to open up, force it closed again and keep doing this until it hurts your hands too much or you cant hold it.

Since money is an issue, there are a few things that are cheap or free:

--Get a hose clamp choker, maybe $1.50, or you probably have one in that junk box in the garage.

--File the crap out of your #2 to make it harder. Do overcrushes.

--I don't like them much, but you could do strapholds with the filed #2.

--Finally, start plate pinching. Both one-hand and two-hand. I can't name a single other thing that has helped my gripper strength more than pinching in the last 6 months. If your plates are not good for pinching, make a pinch block out of wood and an eye screw.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything with the #4.

Good luck!

Wow, thanks for all the quite responses. I will def buy a hose clamp and start doing some plate pinches too. I did them before sparsly but never really trained them hard so I will def focus more on doing them. Thanks!