John Brznek

Tom of Iowa2

He's domianted Arm Wrestling for 20 years now.

Winning right hand in 198's,242's,and supers and also taking a couple of weight classes lefty.

A.Has anybody on this forum ever worked out with him?

B.Has anybody heard what sort of lifts he is capable of in traditional tests?Grippers or wrist curls or wrist roller or whatever?

C.What about conventional weight lifting?His brother is pretty built up..does John lift weights?

Thanks

Guest CalvinP

I read about John B. that he could almost close #3 coc to about 1/4" with very little training. I am wroking out with Gary Ray, who I think knows John for a long time, I 'll ask Gary about john next time I see him, Gary is a world class arm-wrestler. And from what I know those world classed pro -arm wrestlers have phenomonal support grip, meaning it's hard to open their hand up with a counter-force. Gary once locked up with Cleeve Dean and Cleeve took a foul because Cleeve did not like the initial grip from Gary (???), and subsequently had lost the match when he had another foul. Gary's hand is not much bigger than mine (mine is 7.1/4" long) but is very thick. I saw Gary did row 8 reps with 110 lbs db with 2.1/2 handle using hook grip (thumb under) with easy. I 'll try to entice him to go to the max next time. Another thing! I know arm-wrestlers have very dense bones in their whole arms, resulting from the intense work outs they have. Also, I found out it's almost impossible to train my grip and my arm-wrestling in the same week...As HITS certified trainer, I know I need more time for recovery as I get stronger. Do any one know more about this?

Edited by CalvinP

A good friend of mine pulled against Brzenk in the Harley Pull last yr. Told me that Brzenk does not do much weight training but does alot of armwrestling as his training regimen

I do also train armwrestling and Im doing some griptraining besides. For me it works just fine, but when I have the real pain I take a day of griptraining.

I guess there is many top armwrestlers that could perform very good with the Ironmind grippers if they started to train on them.

Calvin,

Are you sure about the hook grip of a 2.5" bar with a hand that small? My hands are about the same size, but on a 2.5" bar my fingers are at least 1.5"-2" from even touching.

Tom,

I armwrestled a few times and used to look up information on the "best'. I've read a lot about John B. over time. The Armwrestling.Com site had a 'open' area where people could e-mail John questions and then he would post responses. This was open for about 4 or 5 months and it's now closed just to read. In it he mentions quite a few times that we doesn't really use a lot of weights.....just 'pulling' is what keeps him strong. He also mentions that due to all of the pulling that he has done that his right forearm and bicep are bigger than his left. Even though having reviewed his remarkable career, he has won quite a few tournements with the left as well as the right. He makes a habit of defeating much heavier, and stronger looking men. He competes around 198 and sometimes up to 215 lbs (body weight) but knocks down quite a few of the super-heavies. From what I understand, his Dad and brother armwrestle, too...or used too and I believe his wife has a few trophies, too.

Guest CalvinP

Hi Jeff

Compare to his body Gary's hands are small. I have wittnessed him hooked lift that db to row about 4 weeks ago. He's not interested in grip so far, but he made it look easy at 8 rep, my arm being so sored I can't even hook it. Gary has a 2x6 beam in the garage laying horizontally over head, he then would walk back and fort using only fingers (no palm) with ease too, elbows were at 90 degree (220 lbs BDW). Chris is another arm wrestler at Gary can also hook lift the same dumbell for reps with easy, but he got bigger hands and is not a pro yet! I was indeed surprised by the fact how strong Gary grip is without pay particular attention to grip training for grip purpose. Well! any one who can hook up agaisnt Cleeve Dean got to be powerful don't you think? We just never should underestimate arm-wrestler hand's power. For me I will lay off until next year before I attempt to do grip and arm wrestling work again due to an injury.

Edited by CalvinP

Calvin,Good point about not underestimateing arm-wrestlers hand power...Cleve Dean is a monster..Gary must be incredibly strong...I also think what we all need to remember is to NOT have preconceived ideas of ANYBODY'S hand power...and to not judge others by our own limitations.Have an open mind...the guy at the check out stand with the thick glasses might be able to slam shut a number 3? :whacked Or the big fat guy eating a bag of crispy creme's might be the next guy to lift the INCH.

Thanks to all..keep the Breznek info and relatable stories comeing.

One of my favorite T's(and this isn't directed at anyone this thread- just reminded me)

NO I'M NOT ON STEROIDS

PLEAS DON'T JUDGE ME BY

YOUR PATHETIC LIMITATIONS

;)

On Mary McConnaghey's (Sp?) arm wrestling page there is a section about grip-training and #3 closers. Don't know if they are certfied (I don't think they are?) but there are a few. There is also some info about some of the Beasts from the old Soviet Union countries closing the #3.