Homemade Pinch Training

Kormaz

Hey guys

I decided that i really needed to start getting into more areas of grip so i made my own pinch block and have been training this past week with it. Made it with a couple of bits of wood nailed together and stuck a hook into the bottom, works pretty well. In terms of weights, i've compensated for my lack of plates by using an old oil canister filled with water as a weight to hang from it. It can hold a max of 25 litres of water and i weighed it when full and it's around 30kg but i have to say it feels a lot heavier :O Cant quite manage to lift it when full though, i'd estimate the weight i can pull would be around 25kg but i'm not sure how this would compare to other lifts using similar equipment. My pinch block is roughly 3 inches across simply because of the pieces of wood used.

I'll try and get a few pics up but i took my inspiration from a pic i saw on the board but i can't remember who or when it was :P

3" is a wide pinch! Go down any welders yard or metal stock holders and get a piece of box section steel for a few quid. I use 50mm because that's the thickness of the steel I got, but you can get it in 44mm size as well. I have a piece of stainless box, but it won't take any type of seasoning, chalk just runs off it. I call that one the b*tch :D

I've pulled about 54lbs total on a similar pinch block made of wood, screws, and an eye screw. It is also 3" though I will be using my FBBC economy one hand pinch block when it gets in and giving the home made one to a friend of mine who wants it.

My hands are so sore from this week pinching for the first time and since the block is made of wood, it's quite savage when i get a splinter in the webbing between my thumb and index finger :( As regards to it being a wide pinch, i wasnt really sure what width i needed so i just used what i thought would do. When i go to lift it, the block goes from the first knuckle on my index finger to the base of my thumb because my hands are quite small :(

Seems like you're in the same lifting boat as me JAU85, i'm not sure exactly what weight i'm pulling because it's just water in a big can and it's too awkward to measure every little adjustment i make :blush. I think i'd be pulling around the same as you.

Just for info. a litre of distilled water @ 4°C will weigh 1kg. :)

Cheers Autolupus, must be over 25 litres then because i weighed it on ordinary bathroom scales and it came out at 4 stone 10.25 lbs when full to the brim which converts to roughly 30.07 kg (really useful having a converter on my phone :D). Think i'll probably head over to the workout routines and log section of the forum and start my own one to keep track of my training, just for my benefit because i never bother writing stuff down :blink

Yea i started one last night, considering i'm on this every day for a fair amount of time now that i'm on study leave from school it's handier to just update it every now and then :D